Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Looking at this picture again tonight i can see only one thing that is missing.

Needs to be more of those pickles around. grin

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Sauerkraut ranks up there with beer. Coleslaw has no place on a Reuben and neither does turkey or pumpernickel bread. There’s plenty of ways to make sandwiches so need to Fugk up a Reuben with your abominations.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Sauerkraut ranks up there with beer. Coleslaw has no place on a Reuben and neither does turkey or pumpernickel bread. There’s plenty of ways to make sandwiches so need to Fugk up a Reuben with your abominations.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
+ 2 on the coleslaw instead of kraut.But,my new sandwich is: thin breaded chicken cutlet on seeded Italian hero ,with Swiss,coleslaw,and Russian dressing,damm good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Coleslaw on a Reuben?

WTF?

The sandwich would no longer be a Reuben then.....................by definition.

Might as well have a pulled pork Monte Cristo.

Sheesh

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Or put Cheese Whiz on your manicotti.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Hypocrite
Big fan.

Try a Reuben pizza, or a burger with the the Reuben ingredients on it for a good change up.

The places I’m familiar with use turkey and Cole slaw on their Rachel’s.

If anyone here ever goes to Grice's Gun Shop in Clearfield Pa stop at Denny's Beer Barrel and try their Reuben burger. It's kind of ruined me from trying anything else on the menu because every time I go that's what I have to have.

I've never had the opportunity to have a Reuben pizza but I'd like to try one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drain well and fry the kraut in bacon grease. 👍

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Not for me!

I don't like sauerkraut.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Drain well and fry the kraut in bacon grease. 👍

Local pizza and sub place has a "Reuben" sub. Now the rolls are not Rye, so not technically a Reuben. Thanks Deflave.

Here is where your flattop grill shines. I have them add banana peppers to the mix as they mash it all together. The heated pepper juices make it killer....
.... and the wife loves the nuclear farts.

I do love a real Reuben on rye.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Skankhunt42
Big fan.

Try a Reuben pizza, or a burger with the the Reuben ingredients on it for a good change up.

If anyone here ever goes to Grice's Gun Shop in Clearfield Pa stop at Denny's Beer Barrel and try their Reuben burger. It's kind of ruined me from trying anything else on the menu because every time I go that's what I have to have.

Going to give that a try next time I am through there which should be later this month.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348
The grocery near my old work location had a panini press that squeezed it all together nicely and toasted the rye perfectly.

Ooh Ooh Baby!

Know whats for lunch Thursday or Friday.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by jdunham
Big fan.

Going to give that a try next time I am through there which should be later this month.

You won't be disappointed, it's great.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Or put Cheese Whiz on your manicotti.

Barf me out. Gag me with a spoon

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Sorry man - forgot you were a purist.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big fan.

Don't go up there much anymore, and never tried Denny's even though we come in right past it. By the ethanol plant.

Thank for the tip, might take a drive.
80 miles one way, gas is as expensive as the lunch!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

I’d highly recommend making one and trying it.

Last edited by Hypocrite; 11/03/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Tide_Change
Sorry man - forgot you were a purist.

Well, somewhat.

I'll eat a cheesecake made with cream cheese, but a truly good cheesecake is made with baker's cheese.

I mean, regarding the cole slaw on a sammich and calling it a Reuben. Really now. If I bring my 6.5 Swede to Creedmoor, Long Island, can I now call it a 6.5 Creedmoor

A Reuben is a Reuben. Wanna put something else on it, call it a Charlie, or a Farley, or a Roberto or something.............it's not a Reuben.

And cheese wiz in a manicott?

Yikes.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Note to self, never open a food related thread after 2:00 AM.... peanut butter and crackers just isn't helping.

As far as I know I'm not currently acquainted with any Liberal/progressive American Jews. On the off chance I ever find myself eating a meal with one I wanted to be better prepared to make a well informed horrified (snarky) comment about "You don't eat Kosher???!" so I looked it up.

This looks um, challenging.

What Is Kosher Food?

Kosher food is any food or beverage that Jewish dietary laws allow a person to eat. It isn’t a style of cooking. Keeping kosher is much more complex than that. Rules are the foundation of kosher food.

Rooted in history and religion, each law is specific about what types of food you can and can't eat. The laws are also strict about the way you prepare, process, and inspect food if you're going to call it kosher.

Keeping kosher is a commitment. It governs what you eat and the way you prepare your meals and use your kitchen and dishes every day. But anyone can eat kosher food. You probably have kosher items in your pantry right now.

Are kosher foods only for Jewish people?

Not all Jewish people keep kosher, and kosher foods aren't just for Jewish people. For example, some soft drinks are kosher, and people of all backgrounds and religions drink them.

Is kosher food easy to find?

There's a kosher version of almost every food and drink in the world. Almost half of all foods you find in a package are kosher. Many supermarkets have kosher food sections.

Kosher Food History
Scholars believe that Jewish dietary laws may be the first food laws on record. The general principles of keeping kosher are in the Torah, part of the Jewish bible. It has commandments -- called mitzvahs -- to follow as ways to obey God. Keeping kosher is one of them.

The dietary laws haven't changed from what the Torah commanded, but they've grown over the years to keep up with technology.

Kosher Food Categories
It starts out simple. Kosher foods fall into three categories: meat, dairy, and "pareve," sometimes spelled "parve."

Meat. Kosher meat comes from animals that have split hooves -- like cows, sheep, and goats -- and chew their cud. When these types of animals eat, partially digested food (cud) returns from the stomach for them to chew again. Pigs, for example, have split hooves, but they don’t chew their cud. So pork isn’t kosher.

Jewish dietary law governs the method of slaughter and processing and the slaughterhouse equipment. Meat isn’t kosher if the animal died naturally. Certain parts of an animal, including types of fat, nerves, and all of the blood, are never kosher.

Dairy. All dairy products, like milk, butter, yogurt, and cheese, must come from a kosher animal. All ingredients and equipment used to produce it have to be kosher, too.

Pareve. This is the category for kosher foods that aren't meat or dairy. It covers everything from eggs and fish to fruits, vegetables, pasta, coffee, and packaged foods.

There are multiple layers of laws beneath these three. Here are just a few:

You can't eat milk and meat products at the same time, put them on the same dishes, or prepare or eat them with the same utensils. You also have to wait a certain amount of time to eat milk after meat and vice versa.
Fish is kosher if it has both fins and scales, like salmon, bass, or trout.
Sea creatures that don't have fins and scales aren't kosher. This includes shellfish, crabs, shrimp, and lobster.
Only a few cheeses are kosher. That's because they include an enzyme called rennet that comes from the stomachs of cows. Kosher cheese can't have animal-based rennet.
Plant-based foods
Plant-based foods are pareve, but they have their own set of kosher guidelines:

Bread and grains. Grains used to bake bread are kosher, but bread is only kosher if it’s certified kosher. This is to make sure the baking process didn’t add non-kosher ingredients and the equipment used for baking wasn’t greased with fats or oils from animals.

Fruits and vegetables. Fresh produce is pareve, but you have to check it for insects before eating because they aren’t kosher. If you find any, you can wash them off. Canned or frozen produce isn’t kosher if it was processed using non-kosher equipment or ingredients.

Nuts seeds, and oils. Nuts and seeds are kosher in their natural form. But if they’ve been processed, they have to be certified kosher. Oils have to come from ingredients that were kosher in the first place, then be certified kosher to ensure they didn’t come in contact with non-kosher ingredients when they were processed.

Wine. In order to be kosher, wine must be prepared under strict rules and certified by an Orthodox rabbi.

Kosher food restrictions

Extra restrictions apply during the Jewish holiday of Passover. In addition to all the other kosher guidelines, Jewish people don’t eat anything with grain that has risen or fermented. These forbidden foods are called “chametz.”

Foods that aren’t kosher for Passover include breads, pastas, beers, liquors, and more.
The only grain product that may be kosher for Passover is matzah, and it must be certified.
Processed foods, including matzah, must have a label saying they are kosher for Passover. Look for a “P” next to the seal that certifies it’s kosher.
Kosher meat, fish, and chicken and fresh produce are kosher for Passover as long as they didn’t come into contact with chametz.
Observant Jewish people scour their kitchens, dishes, pots, pans, and utensils to make sure they have no trace of chametz.
Kosher Food Certification
Kosher certifications are on the packaging of any product considered kosher:

A "K" means kosher certified. If the "K" is in a circle, it means the company OK Kosher Certification approved the product as kosher.
When there's a "D" after the "K," it means the product has dairy or that processing equipment that handles this food also handles dairy. The rules for dairy products apply when you eat that item. For example, you can't eat it with meat.
The word "pareve" or "parve" after the kosher symbol means it's neutral -- not dairy or meat, but still kosher. A "U" in a circle means the same thing.
A "P" means the product is kosher for the Jewish holiday Passover, which has its own dietary laws.
Are There Any Health Benefits to Keeping Kosher?
Most Jewish people who keep kosher do so because the Torah says to, not for health reasons. But kosher symbols on products mean that each ingredient, even food additives, meets strict regulations. It's especially helpful if you have allergies to certain foods like dairy products.

You might also appreciate kosher food labels if you are vegetarian or vegan. Kosher food packaging must note when the food shared equipment with meat or dairy.

WebMD Medical Reference

Please don't feed the trolls!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by auk1124
The best sandwich ever.

+1

Ted
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1badf350, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 1936M71, 222Sako, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,438
Posts18,489,412
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.