Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So everything you read about this magical cartridge touts it as having significantly less recoil than other cartridges in the same category. Given that the most common factory hunting loads utilize 140 grain bullets, shouldn't it have pretty much the same felt recoil as something like the 7mm-08, .270 Win, and .308? Considering the same weight rifles, of course.
Maybe I thg has less recoil than some other "long-range" cartridges that would typically be used for long range target shooting and hunting? Where's the magic?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just math. Google recoil calculator punch in the numbers see for yourself. Felt recoil is a different thing altogether.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Having a reloading manual handy helps also.

Last edited by DCR48; 11/01/21.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have 2 of them, Thompson Center weather shield, they have almost no recoil, even with reloads and shoot great.

My daughter, 22 now, killed several deer with hers last year and it was her first year of hunting in her life. She killed on deer the year before with a 7MMSTW (muzzlebrake) but she loves her 6.5.

Last edited by headhunter130; 11/01/21.

NRA Benefactor life member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I always figured the recoil of a 300 magnum must hit some magical compounding formula because it seems exponential to me. I'd far rather shoot a 340 or 375 than any 300 magnum.

LOL
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Well, I mean does anything of less caliber and powder than a 30-06 have any noticeable recoil provided the rifle is not overly lightweight or of a bad stock design? The Creedmoore is hardly unique there.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I didn't believe it either. I now have 2 rifles in 6.5 creed. They both shoot incredible soft in light weight guns. Softer than the calibers you stated. I have many rifles and the 6.5 recoil is very mild to me.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
So everything you read about this magical cartridge touts it as having significantly less recoil than other cartridges in the same category. Given that the most common factory hunting loads utilize 140 grain bullets, shouldn't it have pretty much the same felt recoil as something like the 7mm-08, .270 Win, and .308? Considering the same weight rifles, of course.
Maybe I thg has less recoil than some other "long-range" cartridges that would typically be used for long range target shooting and hunting? Where's the magic?

Probably very close regarding actual Ft./Lb of recoil. Lower recoil velocity is likely what many refer to when mentioning "lower felt recoil". "Push" vs. "Stab".

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You cannot cheat physics. It's going to kick about like any other chambering with a similar case capacity, powder charge, chamber pressure, bullet weight, and velocity. So it will be quite close to a 7mm-08 or 257 Roberts if bullet weights and velocities are similar.

As some have said, the rifle matters. You can't shoot two different rifles in two different chamberings and not take into account the weight and fit of the gun, as well as the material of the stock and recoil pad.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I've shot my 6.5 Swede a bit, and it's recoil is extremely light vs .308, .270, or .30-06. The advantage of the 6.5 is the long bullets which tend to remain stable in flight over longer distances.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...Maybe I thg has less recoil than some other "long-range" cartridges that would typically be used for long range target shooting and hunting? Where's the magic?

Yes. Before laser range finders "long range" cartridges relied on high velocity and increased bullet weight (not disregarding a streamlined shape) to maintain the velocity to flatten out trajectory and reduce wind drift. The flatter trajectory was considered essential since actual distance to the target was a guesstimated factor anywhere but a target range. A .300 WM or 7mm RM was a good long range chambering since they threw relatively heavy bullets at high velocity which helped to mitigate errors in range estimation.

Laser range finders and scopes with repeatable adjustments changed all that. Trajectory and bullet impact were always known quantities at any range, the range finders let folks find that range with precision so the more curved trajectory of a lower velocity bullet was not a handicap. Reading the wind is still a learned skill but modern bullets with extremely high SD's have helped that.

So, yes, the 6.5 Creedmoor does have less recoil than traditional long range calibers since the total weight of the ejecta is somewhat reduced, but actual recoil is still a matter of immutable physics so that cartridges with similar ejecta weight fired in rifles of similar weight will have similar recoil.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No magic, recoil feels like my 708 from the ones I've shot.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My 6.5 CM (Bergara B-14 Woodsman) kicks less than the .308Win (Win 70 Featherweight) that I had. Nothing scientific, shooting 140gr in the CM and 150 in the .308, similar velocities. The recoil difference is more than just noticeable. I don't have a .270 but a 30-06 and it is definitely a step above the CM in recoil. To me the recoil of the CM is more like a .243 Win.

The "magic" is in it being a mild, very accurate round. Case and bullet geometry are up to date and it works. It shoots medium bullets at medium velocities and kills medium game well. Nothing out of the ordinary, but maybe that is the magic. There are others that fit that bill as well, but the Creedmoor works and works well. I shoot it (and enjoy shooting it) more than any of my other centerfire rifles, which is what it's all about.

Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and get one, see for yourself.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Why would I get a Creedmoor? I have other superior cartridges for what I do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Superior" is relative. The qualifications have to be listed.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
...Maybe I thg has less recoil than some other "long-range" cartridges that would typically be used for long range target shooting and hunting? Where's the magic?

Yes. Before laser range finders "long range" cartridges relied on high velocity and increased bullet weight (not disregarding a streamlined shape) to maintain the velocity to flatten out trajectory and reduce wind drift. A .300 WM or 7mm RM was a good long range chambering since they threw relatively heavy bullets at high velocity which helped to mitigate errors in range estimation.

Laser range finders and scopes with repeatable adjustments changed all that. Trajectory and bullet impact were always known quantities at any range, the range finders let folks find that range with precision so the more curved trajectory of a lower velocity bullet was not a handicap. Reading the wind is still a learned skill but modern bullets with extremely high SD's have helped that.

So, yes, the 6.5 Creedmoor does have less recoil than traditional long range calibers since the total weight of the ejecta is somewhat reduced, but actual recoil is still a matter of immutable physics so that cartridges with similar ejecta weight fired in rifles of similar weight will have similar recoil.

That.

6.5 CM in terms of power falls not far behind 7/08 and .270 Win and obviously ahead of .243 Win or .257 Roberts and it recoils as such.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Numbers never lie and they are easy to calculate!

Weight of the bullet, velocity, weight of the rifle

Personally, the 6.5 Creedmoor is a cream puff in terms of recoil.

Last edited by Dixie_Rebel; 11/01/21.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by JPro

Perhaps, you missed the qualifier in my statement.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by JPro

Perhaps, you missed the qualifier in my statement.

For what you do is rather vague.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Recoil? And here I thought they shot themselves and never missed, according to what I've been told.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

153 members (35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 16penny, 30 invisible), 1,923 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,270
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.