Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of good suggestions here. My choices would be as follows:

6.5x55 SE

Bullet? Nosler Partition.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
GB1

Teeder Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 79S
Pass the 458 win mag and 500gr soft points. Whatever is ailing your neck will be fixed once you torch a round off..

You may be on to something! laugh

Teeder Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NWT
Along with less recoil a lighter rifle to carry also becomes more enjoyable. Finding the fine line between the proper cartridge /bullet and rifle weight becomes a large part of the recoil equation and the handling dynamics of the rifle.

Absolutely!
I could build a 338-06 that would have tolerable recoil, but wouldn't like carrying it on hunts.
My favorite rifle weight is right around 7lbs +/-, with scope and mnts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

I don't either. You know what comes to mind when I see this thread?

Me?

Originally Posted by badger
Originally Posted by Brad
I just don't understand the "need" for something bigger than your 7-08 given your physical issues, and in fact could see stepping down in cartridge/caliber. Were it me, I'd build a midweight 7-08 as a companion to your lightweight 7-08.

I also can't understand all the recommendations for the 308 (my favorite cartridge) given you have its equal in the 7-08.

For me, a muzzle brake would be a dead last last resort if something like the 243 or 6.5 CM still bother you.

I don't either. You know what comes to mind when I see this thread?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My Tikka 7mm08. Weighs in at 7 pounds scoped. Shoots great and kills elk easy enough. Guys still suggesting 338 this and that. The guy already has a 338-06 and he's wanting something different because he needs something with less recoil. Also, any cartridge based off the parent case (30-06), is going to recoil about the same as what he already has (338-06). Drop it down a notch to a 308w parent case: 6.5cm, 7mm08 etc. Recoil will be a lot less and even in a 7 pound rifle, like the one pictured above. Even the 7x57 would be an excellent choice. They are pretty mild mannered and those 7mm bullets dig deep..

You do realize the 338 Federal is a necked up 308, don’t you? Mine shoots 185 TTSX’s a little softer than my 7-08 AI with 162 gn A-Max’s. Same build specs, same stocks. Granted, it’s a lot slower than the 7-08 (2650fps compared to about 2900) but seems to result in a lot more DRT’s. The 7-08AI is no slouch, but I think the 338 Fed is more better for sub 200 yard work.

I do, and he's already got a fn 338-06. He can download it to 338 federal velocities, if he wants. And I believe he said he has done that and he said it still kicks too much.
Originally Posted by Teeder
Lots of good info and I appreciate it.
A couple points:
A can is out. There's no way I could see creeping through the thick stuff still hunting with one of those hanging off the end.
I've pretty much determined a well balanced 7lb rifle is what I like best. So, adding weight to the .338-06 is out.
I have a "deer" load for the
338-06 that's more like a .338 Federal and it still kicks too much.

I left all this out of my first post because I didn't want to influence opinions.

I don't think he wants a 338 Federal. Anymore stupid fu cking questions?

Panties in a wad? If the "downloaded" 338-06 still has too much recoil, then a 7-08 will too, at least in my experience. A "downloaded" 338-06 still isn't a 338 Federal, just as a 30.06 isn't a downloaded 300 WinMag. So, it wasn't a "stupid fu cking question", just a stupid fu cking answer.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Lot of advice here maybe some good and more enough bad. Maybe it's time for you to sit on your butt watching hunting videos and doing what your wife tells you too. After you get sick and tired of that sh*t. Go buy a magnum PAST recoil shield put it on pick up the 338-06 and go kill stuff. Might cost you $50. Send me your address for my consulting bill I don't all ways give away common sense. Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 11/04/21.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 79S
Pass the 458 win mag and 500gr soft points. Whatever is ailing your neck will be fixed once you torch a round off..

You may be on to something! laugh

Maybe it should be renamed the .458 Chiropractor, lol.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Lot of advice here maybe some good and more enough bad. Maybe it's time for you to sit on your butt watching hunting videos and doing what your wife tells you too. After you get sick and tired of that sh*t. Go buy a magnum PAST recoil shield put it on pick up the 338-06 and go kill stuff. Might cost you $50. Send me your address for my consulting bill I don't all ways give away common sense. Mb

Apparently President of the He Man Womens Hater Club just showed up.

Guy shows up here with a legit question looking for a bit of dialogue and you give him this macho bullshit? How many more dead elk do you need to see killed with non-magnum cartridges to at least accept that fact? I'm more than a bit empathetic with his issue, plus I know him. I had my shoulder rebuilt 15 years ago and have the same recoil sensitivities. Apparently I should just he-man up and hope it all stays together. Going through life with 1 good shoulder doesnt sound all that appealing.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Apparently President of the He Man Womens Hater Club just showed up.

Guy shows up here with a legit question looking for a bit of dialogue and you give him this macho bullshit? How many more dead elk do you need to see killed with non-magnum cartridges to at least accept that fact? I'm more than a bit empathetic with his issue, plus I know him. I had my shoulder rebuilt 15 years ago and have the same recoil sensitivities. Apparently I should just he-man up and hope it all stays together. Going through life with 1 good shoulder doesnt sound all that appealing.

Wrong and none of your posts have been constructive for Teeder either. NOT ONE POSTER but me coughed up an idea on how to reduce his felt recoil and discomfort. Magnum Past recoil shield is a start, Buffalo Arms Co out of Ponderray Idaho makes one even more effective called their prone model it's worth every dime it costs 50-60 bucks. Why is it I'm the only one who could come up with inexpensive but totally effective route to less recoil. Coupled with a 7-08, 6.5 C or 6.5x55 other than the report prolly wouldn't feel it at all. B Winters you missed a good chance to STFU and furthermore added nothing to help Teeder out. Magnum Bob

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 11/04/21.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let me reference the original post for and your "solution":

"For nearly 20 years I've had my .338-06 as my "Big Gun". It's taken elk and recently two moose in Newfoundland and has worked beautifully. Deer duties have been handled by a variety of cartridges, but mainly with my Montana 7mm-08.
In 2019 I was in a car accident that resulted in a concussion, torn rotator-cuff and something undetermined with my neck. Bottom line, it's really uncomfortable shooting the .338-06 anymore.
This gives me a clear reason to build / buy something new! grin
I have a pretty good guess what the answer to this question is, but what do you consider the lowest recoiling cartridge that is perfectly adequate for elk and moose? Put another way, what's the smallest cartridge you would happily use the rest of your life for elk and moose? May as well throw in the bullet combo, too."

See anything in there asking for recoil reduction of his existing rifles? But it did give you an opportunity to turn this into a biggest wanger contest and a snarky reply. Likely you should take your own advice. A bit of reading comprehension wouldn't hurt either.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've used the Magnum PAST Shield on some hard kickers years ago. It helped me not develop a flinch. This was also before Limbsaver Recoil pads. I did not, however, have it on when I shot a Grizzly Ammo +P 460gr 45-70 round in a Marlin cowboy ( 26") This 5 yrs after my neck fusion, but the "instant" I touched it off, I "felt" I had tore all the gristle loose in my neck! ha One and done, I'm telling you! I had a really lwt 416 Taylor made up once, 20" barrel with a brake...400gr handload, OMG Even with that PAST shield it was brutal but the ear splitting muzzle blast was crazy! ha We live and learn..

I felt Teeder" just needs" a spare rifle in 7mm/08 , a bit heavier than his Montana...but the PAST is a good one...just saying

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 11/04/21.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a .300 Win mag and a Weatherby Mark V in .300 Roy. Recoil started giving me neck pain and a headache. Now my big gun is a Ruger Hawkeye stainless
30-06. Ought to cover any bases that need covered in my world.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Teeder Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
"what do you consider the lowest recoiling cartridge that is perfectly adequate for elk and moose"

This is what I'm looking for from people that have done it.

Thanks again to all.

Last edited by Teeder; 11/04/21.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
7-08 -7x57 - 6.5x55 will kill anything in North America and most game in Africa . How many Elephants did Bell kill with the 7x57 ? A bunch . I own one of each and would not feel handicapped with any of the three . Hit where you should with a bullet built for the game your after and all will be good. My .325 WSM with 150-200 grain bullets is no slouch either and is not too hard on my arthritic shoulders . If all my shots were of moderate range (200 Yards) I would be perfectly happy with a .35 Remington or the .358 Winchester either one and recoil is moderate at most.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A lot of this discussion has centered, not to much surprise, on recoil. But that is not the major problem I think. I have had one shoulder replacement (right) and am going to have to have the other one done at some point. Originally my doctor thought I might stave off major surgery through physical therapy, which was the path I took. However the problem can easily become how high you can lift stuff. Like lifting a rifle to your shoulder, as shoulder height is milestone after surgery. My problem turned out not to be recoil. I already had a Ruger 77 in 6.5x55 I've used since 1993. Also lots of 308 use as well, so recoil wasn't the problem. What was the problem for me was getting the rifle up and after the shot working the bolt with the rifle up to the shoulder. The slap upward and the stroke to the rear of the bolt was pretty painful. So the rifle had to be lowered, the bolt worked, and lifted to shooting position again. Kind of like shooting a single shot. It worked, but was contrary to a lot of muscle memory. So I began thinking about what beside a bolt action might work.

Now, not so long ago I'd have never thought I'd go this route. Many years ago my brothers and I got Dad a Remington 742 in 30-06, because that was what he wanted. Well it was a PITA. Shot OK, but was the most picky thing I ever shot as far as cleanliness was concerned. You had to get it squeaky clean to metal, then you might get a dozen shots before you needed to clean it again, but you might only get 2-3, you never knew. But the recoil was OK on my shoulder and the auto was easier to operate than the bolt. You really start to rethink stuff when your right shoulder is FUBAR and your left one is soon to join it. Reduced shoulder function can be a life changer.

As circumstances went, I wound up with a nearly new Remington 7400 in 270. My next door neighbor and seller of all sorts of stuff had it from an estate sale and offered it for a real easy to handle price. Told him I'd might be interested IF it shot and functioned OK. He was fine with me shooting it. So to my utter shock and awe, the damn thing never seems to get too dirty to function, and it shoots better than I can. So I paid the man. Recoil is not an issue.

Maybe not ideal or popular but it solved my issue. I'd rather hunt a 7400 within its limits and mine than not hunt.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Teeder Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My shoulder is the least of my issues as far as shooting goes. The real problem is my neck and headaches.

Semi-autos are out. Can't use them for big game in PA and I would want to be able to use any rifle for deer also.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Keeping in mind that the weight and fit of a gun determines a lot of the "kick" you'll feel, trying to isolate a cartridge without consideration of the rifle is not of a lot of value. keep in mind that a Barret light 50 with a heavy bipod, rear mounted post rest, large muzzle break and super large scope and mount kicks (and hurts less) then a light 30-06. You can see my point.

But as far as the smallest cartridges I have seen used to kill animals of 1000 pound's and heavier, I have actually seen 1 moose killed with a 243, and 3 with 44 magnum handguns. I have seen 2 killed with 270s. I have personally killed a horse with a 357 mag handgun with 1 shot through it's heart. I have also killed a full grown bull buffalo with a 5" barreled 44 mag handgun. I have killed a lot of elk with 270 Winchesters and I have seen about 30 killed with 25-06s 257 Roberts, 243s and 2 with 357 mag carbines. I have also seen about 10 killed with 260 Remington's and 6.5X55s and 7 killed with 6,5CMs. I know my sister has killed about 15 moose with her 308.
My old friend Cy killed a bunch of planes game in Africa with his 7X57 loaded with 175 grain bullets and several of them were Kudu and Sable. The 7-08 is ballistically the same as the 7X57 if both are loaded to the same pressures.
So if I were to make the lightest kicking hunting rifle I could and still feel OK for moose, I'd make a 7-08 on an AT 10 style rifle. Bringing it back to the fact that cartridges only kick as much as guns let them kick.
The Army in the 1920s-1930s used to fire 30-06 test rounds from a sub caliber barrel in a 105 Howitzer. Safe to say that 30-06 didn't kick as hard as a 22 long rifle.
In a bolt action I'd go with a 7X57 or a 7-08 and put a good pad on it and install a "dead-mule" in the stock and add a muzzle break. That would tame it down to around a 223 (but louder.)
I understand the desire to have a rifle you can also use for deer, but Penn has very few moose anyway, so if the point of the post is about light recoil and MOOSE I see no reason to reject an AR10

Last edited by szihn; 11/04/21.
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
"what do you consider the lowest recoiling cartridge that is perfectly adequate for elk and moose"

This is what I'm looking for from people that have done it.

Thanks again to all.

I have shot big bulls with the 270 and 280. I have shot big bulls at over 500 yards with the 270. With dramatic effect. The 7-08 will kill without issue. In fact come to think of it the last big bull my dad killed was with a 7-08

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

There have been lots of words written but most do not address your question. To reduce recoil you must reduce bullet weight or reduce velocity velocity or increase rifle weight. I have shot 30/06’s with stout loads and they are pretty close to your 338-06. I have used 270 & 280 with 130-140’s at 3000 and they have a little less but they are not the least. Several have suggested 7-08 or 7-57 chamberings with velocities you only get with a word processor or a 30” barrel. Even if you could get such velocities you are right back into 270/280 recoil. Remember it is mostly about bullet weight and recoil.

I suggest a 6.5 bore shooting 125-140’s at 2700 or so. If you want more velocity then get a 25-06 and use 100-115’s.

Actually I suspect you already know what to do. You have succeeded at stirring the pot. I mean how could you have 6000+ posts and know so little.

Last edited by RinB; 11/04/21.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Teeder Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
"There have been lots of words written but most do not address your question. To reduce recoil you must reduce bullet weight or reduce velocity velocity or increase rifle weight."

I never asked how to reduce recoil. I'm asking for the lowest recoil cartridge that experienced people would be comfortable using for elk and moose.

"Actually I suspect you already know what to do. You have succeeded at stirring the pot. I mean how could you have 6000+ posts and know so little."

Stirring the pot or post count has nothing to do with it. I've never been in on or around an elk or moose being shot with anything less than a .30-06 with 180's.

So, blow it out your ass!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Have seen the .308 "quickly and efficiently put down" big game animals weighing up to 600-700 pounds with quartering shots, both in North America and Africa.

That's good performance! What bullets were being used?

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 61 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,495
Posts18,509,103
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.