Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KWG,
In one of my first posts I alluded to a chronograph even a cheap pro chrono or chrony would suffice. The reason for this is that I go by the old rule velocity = pressure. You can try looking at primers or brass all you want, but it is still one of the most inaccurate ways to judge pressure, which has been proven many times over the years.

Next you don’t have to use new brass, range brass will work just fine as long as you take the time to make them as even and uniform as possible. Weigh, deburr, uniform the pockets or whatever you desire. Uniformity is the key. For your test 10 cases should be sufficient.

Take the uniform cases without flash holes modified to the range and document the velocities and any other pertinent data that load gives. This is your control group or baseline. If you want organize each case to corresponding chrono order so you know which case did what.
Now go back home take these exact same cases, one at a time to maintain proper order, drill the flasholes to your first step. Repeat range day.

Now repeat this for all steps of drilling, when all is said and done you will have data that corresponds to each change in each case. Then you can compare it.

I will not argue that deburring and uniformity of flash holes is a wasted effort because it isn’t. I will say that there comes a point in time to decide if all that work is justified by the results. For general purposes you will find that your rifle can’t really take advantage of it. I.E. accuracy increase smaller than the amount of work. I did an awful lot of thing when shooting BR whether it actually helped is debatable, but it made me feel better. For the typical varmint gun or hunting rifle it just isn’t necessary.
Conclusion is that you might be better off changing primer brand than flash hole size as I have seen large changes in velocity/accuracy by doing this. Also save your components until you can afford a chronograph. Doesn’t have to be a magneto speed, labradar or an Oehler.

Swifty
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good post Swifty..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
kgw20,

I measured the diameter of the flash holes by inserting a long, gently tapered steel "needle" and measuring the diameter where the needle stopped. But here's a photo of the basic difference, which appeared with the article:

[Linked Image]

To tell the truth, guys like you are one reason I don't post very often outside of the "Ask The Gunwriters" and "Free Classified" forums. You apparently have little comprehension of how to test handloads at least semi-scientifically, by focusing on certain variables during your tests, and trying to control them as much as possible. Swifty and others have tried to point this out, but you're not really getting it.

There's a lot of good information out there on all of this, but apparently (like many these days) you prefer to wing it without doing much research beforehand--and then post on the Internet asking questions (and posting "test" results) that indicate your lack of previous research and understanding.

MD

Thanks for the pictures MD. That explains a lot.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Swifty52
KWG,
In one of my first posts I alluded to a chronograph even a cheap pro chrono or chrony would suffice. The reason for this is that I go by the old rule velocity = pressure. You can try looking at primers or brass all you want, but it is still one of the most inaccurate ways to judge pressure, which has been proven many times over the years.

Next you don’t have to use new brass, range brass will work just fine as long as you take the time to make them as even and uniform as possible. Weigh, deburr, uniform the pockets or whatever you desire. Uniformity is the key. For your test 10 cases should be sufficient.

Take the uniform cases without flash holes modified to the range and document the velocities and any other pertinent data that load gives. This is your control group or baseline. If you want organize each case to corresponding chrono order so you know which case did what.
Now go back home take these exact same cases, one at a time to maintain proper order, drill the flasholes to your first step. Repeat range day.

Now repeat this for all steps of drilling, when all is said and done you will have data that corresponds to each change in each case. Then you can compare it.

I will not argue that deburring and uniformity of flash holes is a wasted effort because it isn’t. I will say that there comes a point in time to decide if all that work is justified by the results. For general purposes you will find that your rifle can’t really take advantage of it. I.E. accuracy increase smaller than the amount of work. I did an awful lot of thing when shooting BR whether it actually helped is debatable, but it made me feel better. For the typical varmint gun or hunting rifle it just isn’t necessary.
Conclusion is that you might be better off changing primer brand than flash hole size as I have seen large changes in velocity/accuracy by doing this. Also save your components until you can afford a chronograph. Doesn’t have to be a magneto speed, labradar or an Oehler.

I agree Swifty. You provided good information. I'm starting to get that pressure = velocity thing. Yes, I want a chrono but it seems like something else always comes up that takes priority. I see the traditional style chrono's are getting fairly cheap. But, that Labradar looks handy and easy to use with a short set up time.

You are right about "the work justifying the results". When I was playing around with the various size of primer holes I wasn't getting the results I was hoping for after sorting brass, drilling the holes, keeping them together and getting back to the range. But, that masters Thesis as submitted by NVhunter and written by Nicolaas Martin Schrier; well, it had my curiosity up. It might of paid off for Mr. Schrier but I wasn't seeing it.

I have used several different primers. Just like everyone else when the time is right I pick up a brick or 2. I was getting Federal match primers after I wasn't getting the results I wanted with CCI 400's or 450's (for .223) but the Federal Match primers have been pretty non existent the last 11 months. This guy on YouTube got me looking at the Federal match primers. Bob's reloading: https://youtu.be/N7KVBWChnyY https://youtu.be/GaYKzLHWYvU

Has anyone had any contact or use with this brand of primer hole uniforming device? Has anyone found any improvement in accuracy ??
https://kmshooting.com/product/premium-carbide-flash-hole-uniformer-builder/

Anyway, it was interesting trying out the various primer hole dimensions but the lessons seems to be that it doesn't always matter what size the primer holes are as long as they are the same size. Just go back to the last page and see the picture that Mule Deer posted of the primer holes in the Grendel brass. Two different primer holes sizes but whey they were shot with their companion brass the accuracy was practically identical.

Enough is enough. Lessons learned.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
KWG,

Excellent post. In my response I purposely stated that each step is incremental in how your results will end up. Sometimes these incremental steps won't make enough difference to be detectable and other times they might, but only the person doing the reloading can determine if it is worthwhile for their purposes to pursue all the little processes that can be found in reloading research materials. I tend to do it more as experimental and as a way to relax and wind down while I am concentrating on something besides every day problems. I don't compete and I don't often share my results with others because I do these little things for myself only as a learning experience. I can't say if anyone else will find it helpful to their reloading but I find it enlightening at the least even when the results aren't earth shattering.... wink

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
IC B2

kwg020 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
KWG,

Excellent post. In my response I purposely stated that each step is incremental in how your results will end up. Sometimes these incremental steps won't make enough difference to be detectable and other times they might, but only the person doing the reloading can determine if it is worthwhile for their purposes to pursue all the little processes that can be found in reloading research materials. I tend to do it more as experimental and as a way to relax and wind down while I am concentrating on something besides every day problems. I don't compete and I don't often share my results with others because I do these little things for myself only as a learning experience. I can't say if anyone else will find it helpful to their reloading but I find it enlightening at the least even when the results aren't earth shattering.... wink

Bob

I know exactly what you mean when you say it's a way to relax and focus on something other than every day issues that need immediate attention. It was a learning experience for me, that's for sure. I only compete with myself. Many years ago I was an IPSC shooter and I was getting good at it. But, I got married and then kids came and that was the end of the shooting. I put all of my reloading gear up in the attic for 20 years. Most of those years I didn't have one spare nickel and I was working 3 jobs to pay the bills and pay the taxes. Now, I get to play around and make up for those 20 years.

Now that I can spend some time at the range, there are very few components. Luckily I did stock up some. Not enough, but some. Hopefully by the end of winter I can pick this back up again and play with it a bit more. I have been looking at chronographs but I really want a Labradar. But, I just hired a guy to rehabilitate a pond on the farm property. I have been talking to this guy for the last 3 years trying to set a date and a price; so, now I have to ask myself which do I want the most, the Labradar or the rebuilt pond ? The pond won.

Take care.

kwg

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (29aholic, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 348srfun, 44 invisible), 1,902 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,975
Posts18,519,831
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.