Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Confirming zero is easy, cheap and a salute to general murphy. Finding stuff to kill is fun but a lot of work and I know who to blame if I botch an opportunitygrin

mike r

Daily during the season? How do you know it didn't shift from one day to the next? Shouldn't you confirm zero prior to each shot at game? Does confirming zero the day before mean it will be good the next day? The next week? The next 3 months?

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
Confirming zero is easy, cheap and a salute to general murphy. Finding stuff to kill is fun but a lot of work and I know who to blame if I botch an opportunitygrin

mike r

Daily during the season? How do you know it didn't shift from one day to the next? Shouldn't you confirm zero prior to each shot at game? Does confirming zero the day before mean it will be good the next day? The next week? The next 3 months?

Why don't you take your ignorant, trolling, sockpuppet ass off to a thread of your own making?

Dumbass.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have one rifle that I've killed 9 deer with in the past 8 years. It was sighted in prior to killing the 1st deer, it has only been fired in anger since then.

I killed one last year with a rifle that hasn't seen paper since 2006. This stuff isn't complicated

? ? ? ? ? ?

L S H -- Which Is IT ?

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

mike r

Asking the question in that manner indicates your inability to comprehend the answer.

GFY

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Stuff stays zeroed if using known ammo and the rifle doesnt get bonked.

I prefer synth stocks. And torque action screws to specific values.

They are repeatable.

However I do have a couple varmint rifles w wood stocks ( that have been sealed ) and they were zeroed in the summer. Ill check em again before going after yotes post deer season.

They may shift, they may not.

Really, only things left for me to check for now are my Python and 3 screw revolvers. As crappy as my deer spot looks i think Ill be lucky to even get a shot w a rifle.

So will leave the shorties at home. Changed brand and bullet weights so need to rezero them sometime.

Last edited by hookeye; 11/07/21.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every year.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
But the guy at the Walmarts counter said "it's good to go".........

FJB & FJT
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Raeford
But the guy at the Walmarts counter said "it's good to go".........

Good 'nuff for me. wink grin

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
if you buy a package gun aint no need for shootin at 100. just make sure you are on at 25. then cuz the bullet is still risin you'll be an inch high at 50 and then dead on at 100 again cause the bullet is falling by the time it reaches 100

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

mike r

Why don't you take your ignorant, trolling, sockpuppet ass off to a thread of your own making?

Dumbass.

I just found my favorite post of the week and it's only Monday. Thanks rockinbbar

Last edited by Jim1611; 11/08/21.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

mike r

Dumbass.

I just found my favorite post of the week and it's only Monday. Thanks rockinbbar

Actually, that post should be a sticky on all forums. smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DeWman
Yes, sort of. I like shooting my rifles and do often so in a way I'm always checking zero.

Same here, good excuse to shoot! I've learned not to chase any deviations of an inch or less in windage though. Those are, I've learned, probably the wind. If a rifle has a problem holding zero, it gets fixed or goes down the road.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gitem_12
if you buy a package gun aint no need for shootin at 100. just make sure you are on at 25. then cuz the bullet is still risin you'll be an inch high at 50 and then dead on at 100 again cause the bullet is falling by the time it reaches 100

Are you shooting a slow .38-55? 😀

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm off work for the opener this year, and will take one of 3 rifles.

All of the 3 choices have been used successfully on relatively small targets within the last 3-4 weeks. Two of these rifles haven't varied a half inch from zero in at least the last 10 years. The 3rd choice has only been around for maybe 4-5 years, but is routinely precise

And they do get to the range occasionally. More often shot at a buddy's place where he hangs steel in a couple of his waterways, or simply sitting in a creek bottom or fence corner with the foxpro

"Chances Will Be Taken"

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I always do, usually at the very last minute, and often frantically.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Absolutely

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Always check each rifle. Three get hunted year around, and shot regularly. Even then because of travel I always check them before hunting with them. I have one wood stocked rifle that has changed a couple times over the last twenty years! Probably my fault, can't always remember what load I sighted it in with.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I check zero with all rifles I plan to use in the upcoming season. It is simply disrespectful to the animals you will be hunting not to. My goal is to take my game cleanly and swiftly to ensure the game doesn’t suffer needlessly. There are enough things out of the hunters control to ignore one of the easiest and most enjoyable to ensure. Good hunting.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm always looking to check my zero on some critter. It amazes me how much abuse a good rifle and quality scope - mounts can handle without loosing zero. My rifles are beat to he'll and carried year-round. And whenever I miss a chip shot I always figure the scope must of somehow gotten knocked off. But after checking zero it's always me that blew the shot. Shooting your gun is never a bad thing.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I took a buddy bear hunting last week and he got his boot hung up on a bush and took a fall on a Leupold. 12" off at 113 yards. Ouch!

LOL
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (163bc, 160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,784
Posts18,477,205
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.