Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by specneeds

But you can kill elk all day long with a 308...

You can kill elk with anything of course. Gut shooting them with a .22LR will kill them. The question is how reliably it stops them. If you want to stop an elk reliably without the chance it goes hundreds of yards, you 100% must break major bone. CNS will also stop them, but it can't be done reliably at any distance. Simply shooting their heart and lungs will kill them, but they can easily go hundreds of yards into inaccessible terrain just on the oxygen in their blood and anaerobic metabolism. At the very least on a heart-lung shot you want a pass-through so there's blood to follow.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
I’ve seen to many elk killed with the .243 to say it’s not “enough”.

“Elk hunt” can mean a bunch of different things. If a person asks me if a 243 is enough for elk, I’m going to say absolutely.

If the the same person asked me if I’d use a .243 working thick North slopes or that country the PNW Mafia hunts, I’d say hell no.

Solid point. I’d be a chicken and probably switch to a heavier constructed bullet if I was stuck with it. Luckily most of us probably won’t have that problem.

Semper Fi
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It’s funny how the answers are always different depending on who/how the question is asked. It’s no different around here.

If I talk to someone, a .243, 6.5 etc is way under gun for elk by most. If you ask is the .243, 6.5 etc adequate for a women/child, it’s almost always a resounding yes.

I would agree, the .243 is not what I would consider as the best elk cartridge, but used within its limits, it has definitely worked.

Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by SLM

“Elk hunt” can mean a bunch of different things. If a person asks me if a 243 is enough for elk, I’m going to say absolutely.

If the the same person asked me if I’d use a .243 working thick North slopes or that country the PNW Mafia hunts, I’d say hell no.

Solid point. I’d be a chicken and probably switch to a heavier constructed bullet if I was stuck with it. Luckily most of us probably won’t have that problem.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM
It’s funny how the answers are always different depending on who/how the question is asked. It’s no different around here.

If I talk to someone, a .243, 6.5 etc is way under gun for elk by most. If you ask is the .243, 6.5 etc adequate for a women/child, it’s almost always a resounding yes.

I would agree, the .243 is not what I would consider as the best elk cartridge, but used within its limits, it has definitely worked.

Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by SLM

I just think to myself if I couldn’t have exactly what I wanted if I could make a 6 CM or 243 work for me and most of the time I could.

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S

Oh ok... I didn’t know you had a basement full of kodiak bear rugs my bad.....

A good friend, who grew up in the AK bush living by the rifle thinks the 308's more than enough (he hunts Kodiak every year). Phil Shoemaker, who has more experience with Brown Bears than most, thinks it's more than enough. And friend lanche, here on the fire, thinks it's more than enough. Your problem is you've got a untested bias, not to mention a big mouth and ego...

Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Have used 180 fusions out of a 308 on a few moose.

Heck my wife used only one to take this brown bear at 180 yard with a 180 fusion out of 20" barrel 308. Muzzle velocity is only 2550 range, but still was one and done.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Nothing wrong with a .308 and a sturdy bullet that shoots well. Everything in the world is upside down with .243’s except a perfect angle and range.

My favorite elk load is a .308 168 gr TTSX that happens to be sitting on top of 83.6 gr of RL26 inside a .300 Weatherby case. I never ponder “Is this enough gun for bulls at _____ range”?

Good luck and be well!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Thanks guys. I was prioritizing distance over diameter. However, I have lots of 155 Scenars loaded for the 308, and will use those.

The 308 is my favorite cartridge, and elk are my favorite game. You could load up 500 rounds with 155 Scenars, and have a lifetime supply for any NA hunting IMO.

Best wishes David, hope you’re well.

You are ph ucking nuts... any NA hunting?? Pass me a 375 H&H and 300gr TSX please

[Linked Image]

👍 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 79S

A good friend, who grew up in the AK bush living by the rifle thinks the 308's more than enough (he hunts Kodiak every year). Phil Shoemaker, who has more experience with Brown Bears than most, thinks it's more than enough. And friend lanche, here on the fire, thinks it's more than enough. Your problem is you've got a untested bias, not to mention a big mouth and ego...

Heck my wife used only one to take this brown bear at 180 yard with a 180 fusion out of 20" barrel 308. Muzzle velocity is only 2550 range, but still was one and done.

[Linked Image]

I have nothing against the .308 Win......I shot one for many years. However, if I were guiding Brown Bear hunts, I want all of my clients shooting a .308 Win......that way I could finish-off lots of bears that weren’t “overly” impressed! 😉. memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

[Linked Image]

Lol you dumb ass I don’t see any mention of a 155gr scenar being used to kill brown bears. The 308 is more than adequate for NA as long as you use the right bullet. You said and I quote “ You could load up 500 rounds with 155 Scenars, and have a lifetime supply for any NA hunting IMO”. Your words not mine. I love to see Phil shoemakers face when you show up to bear camp with a pocket full of 155gr scenars. Once again I have nothing against the 308 but I’m against using the wrong bullet. When talking about a big mouth and ego look at yourself in the mirror their jukebox hero.

Last edited by 79S; 11/01/21.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sighted in the 308 with 155 Scenars, and confirmed dope to 400.

Only have time for two more days before the season closes, but I feel readier now.

Thanks to all.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Good luck David.

Hope you connect with one!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Only have time for two more days before the season closes, but I feel readier now.

Thanks to all.

Nice David. And rest assured, whatever will kill an elk will kill a brown bear smile

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks to all.

Nice David. And rest assured, whatever will kill an elk will kill a brown bear smile

your arrogance has no bounds.. I agree whatever will kill an elk will kill a bear as long as you use the right bullet. On top of that, the 155gr scenar has a garbage ass bc.

Last edited by 79S; 11/01/21.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So if I had to ask this question, I probably wouldn’t even bother huntin bulls.

If ya “hunt” em, speacilly over in that country, I’d run either one. I’ve been in the position where I’ve had to make meat with lesser rounds and heard rumors of elk being killed with way less chamberings… go hunt and have fun dave

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A long time wrestling pard, we both wrestled at state our senior year, and a great hunter guided for a hot shot up lake illiamna, guided jack briddingham back I’m the day before they got caught killin moose for bait. Aaron used a 416 for backup.. I dunno why he didn’t use a 308 for cleanup??? Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
So if I had to ask this question, I probably wouldn’t even bother huntin bulls.

If ya “hunt” em, speacilly over in that country, I’d run either one. I’ve been in the position where I’ve had to make meat with lesser rounds and heard rumors of elk being killed with way less chamberings… go hunt and have fun dave

I agree I had a bud who used nothing but 25-06 loaded with 117gr hornady btsp. He killed a lot of elk with that rifle, I was witness to several of the kills. If all you have is a 22-250 for elk make it work, but I doubt one would be making 700yd shots at elk with a 22-250.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM

I’d have to concur with SLM...The 243 Win can get it done, but with variables in play in some jurisdictions ~ I’d pass on the 6mm to go with a more substantial chambering.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by SLM

There is a HUGE difference between a 6mm and 6.5mm. Almost all 6mms are slow twisted and there are no high SD fast twist hunting bullets suitable for use on elk. 6.5mm has a lot of options.

A .243 is not adequate for anyone. The 6.5CM or one of its ballistic twins can be made to work.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 11/04/21.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
If that's the 2 choices I was given I'd take the 308.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am glad you chose the 308!

My choice also.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,652
Posts18,474,638
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.