Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just wondering what any of you have found out hunting that you put to use. I found this Solingen knife around 1977-79 while hunting north of Seligman AZ. I was stationed there while working for Santa Fe Railroad. The handle was cracked and partly missing so my brother who was pretty handy put the black epoxy handle on it for me. I still use it hunting 40+ years later.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bud I went to AK with in '92, who ended up staying there, found a skank in the woods once. He fugged her in a tent for a week and then married her. Turned out she was the biggest skank in Skankorage and she ruined his life. Not surprising, knowing him. He moved back to TX to be around all the old crew and promptly broke the bro code in a big way, so he got the Heisman from all of us.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/11/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AZmark
Just wondering what any of you have found out hunting that you put to use. I found this Solingen knife around 1977-79 while hunting north of Seligman AZ. I was stationed there while working for Santa Fe Railroad. The handle was cracked and partly missing so my brother who was pretty handy put the black epoxy handle on it for me. I still use it hunting 40+ years later.

Mark,

if you started in Seligman, and ended up in Alpine, you won the Arizona Olympics!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I found Jimmy Hoffa's wallet near the skeletal remains of some unknown dude.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I found a old knife, that must have been used to dress out a deer. It was so old it started to come apart, I just layed it back down in the woods and left it.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A little spindly Ironwood (American Hornbeam) tree that I use as a walking stick when hunting steep terrain.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Memories

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
8 point whitetail rack. Serves as a hat rack.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Knowledge of how and where the deer move in the area.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That the TWRA is like a number of other LE agencies and far more concerned with revenue generation than protecting landowner Rights.

I used that knowledge to change the TCA Code to make fence cutting and driving through crop land a Class E felony, took those actions out of TWRA's hands and put it in the purview of the Sheriff's Department.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Found a knife, gave it to a young hunter. Found a rangefinder archery model. Still have it but don't use it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sat on a fallen log over a logging trail for lunch last fall elk hunting, looked down and found a Gerber multi tool. Someone else had the same idea as me. His misfortune my fortune!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Originally Posted by AZmark

Mark,

if you started in Seligman, and ended up in Alpine, you won the Arizona Olympics!

Sycamore

No, there was more than that, my migration around this state started in Eastern AZ towns of Morenci/Clifton and ranch/homestead in Alpine. Then working life took me on to Thatcher/Safford, Mesa, Flagstaff,/Williams for college, Seligman, Bagdad, Parker Dam (at the dam), Phoenix, back to my home in Alpine to help take care of elderly Mom who is now in assisted living in Eagar.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I was trout stream fishing with my Dad back in circa 1974-1975 when he found a knife along the creek and gave it to me. I was about a 12 year old kid at the time. It looked like it had been there a little while.

I have carried it in my hunting pack and used that knife for hunting for the last 45 plus years. It has helped gut and butcher I don’t know how many elk, antelope, mule deer, Coues whitetail deer, and javalina.

Maybe not the best knife I own, but he has been gone now for closing in on 20 years, and I think of him every time I use it. I cherish that knife.

Attached Images

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I found a Case fixed blade knife one day while riding looking for cows. Found a big mule deer three point antler shed the other day looking for cattle. Just one side. Didn't pick it up as we were gathering. Might go back and get it. Also found a mule deer skull with three on one side and four on the other. Find horseshoes pretty often and an old motorcycle tire yesterday. Quite a few car tires. I could go on.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Found a Pulaski with a broken handle at a small lighting strike burn on top of a ridge in Siskiyou Conty. Found a small cruizing ax in a thicket of white fir in the same area. Found a very nice butter knife in the Devils Pocket. I still have and use all three items.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Terryk
Memories

That, and meat.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My findings have absolutely nothing to do with future hunting.....only use here at our home!

About 20 years ago.....a wagon wheel steel outer rim and the wagon axle. It was placed among rocks as an accent to a raised flower bed on a 90 degree driveway turn in our yard! This past deer season, I found a dead, burn marked Juniper stump to join the wagon wheel axle and wheel rim as more accent!

That stump was a “biotch” to load and secure in the back of a Polaris Ranger......all by my lonesome! 😁 memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by memtb; 11/12/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (44mc, 1100mag, 10Glocks, 35, 10gaugemag, 17 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 928 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,256
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.