-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just found a spotting scope along the roadside. Just sitting there on its tripod and all? What are the odds.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
i found a metal coffee pot and metal cup hanging on a nail in a tree looking for cows on our family ranch along with a bunch of empty corked bottles on our ranch in south texas kinda a make ship camp
went back a week later and picked them up and found the old rock fire ring and some old 44 or 45 rimfire ammo scattered about
we have had out ranch since 1886 and no one knows who wouldve camped there

i use the coffee pot and cup in my deer stand to make coffee on my heater. there was a small rust hole in the pot but i drilled it out and put a rivet in it and it drips a little but makes a good cup of coffee

Last edited by ScrapIron; 11/12/21.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A few years ago I made a loop around the far corner
of my property where I have a tripod set up at a
junction of 2 trails. I guess I scared someone off
that had been trespassing and hunting out of my
tripod stand because I found their really nice cammo
cushion where they dropped it at a few yards from
the stand. I've found various spent shells/cases
of different types in different blinds and hunting spots
where people have trespassed and hunted and I
keep all those JIC the GW ever catches someone and
needs em for evidence

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
syntax, man, syntax. (did that coffepot and cup actually find any of those cows it was looking for?)

I don't do so bad at screwing up a sentence myself. smile

I can't recall ever finding anything while hunting that I still use, except as others have said, meat, head, hide, or antler/horn. The closest would be full curl Dall sheep horns, one of which I had carved into a diorama of sorts. I was hunting this dude after a scout 2 weeks before season. Wolves got him first. I was a bit bummed when the carver polished off the tooth marks at the tip.

Last edited by las; 11/12/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Myself.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Myself.

Yes, there is that, numerous times! it's a comfort zone, almost. smile

Last edited by las; 11/12/21.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Just remembered. We broke one of a dome tent's poles during a storm one time. A couple weeks later I found it's replacement while walking on a local beach. Different color is all. Still use that tent on occasion, tho we have a better one now.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Man I found several climbing deer stands and a few chain on type and a ladder stand, I guess people just walked off and left them.......

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
30 years ago I was pulling in to Elk camp and propped up against a tree next to a fire pit was a nice 14" skillet. Still using it today. It's the one in the back in this pic.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
30 years ago I was pulling in to Elk camp and propped up against a tree next to a fire pit was a nice 14" skillet. Still using it today. It's the one in the back in this pic.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

That tree was just as far as that woman could chase her husband with it, before giving up... smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Found an old Collins axe on the side of a dirt road a few months back. About got the head reconditioned, down to the sandpaper and whetstone stage. Still need to find the right piece of hickory.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A brand new sub zero mummy sleeping bag at the side of a rough road. Don't like mummy bags so gave it to son.

Once found a really nice homemade steel gambrel. I still use it.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Have found hundreds of hooks.bobbers.and assorted fishing lures while duck hunting

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Walking along a trail in relatively deep snow and found a trail of Tupperware, silverware, pots, pans, and a few other things. Looked like someone got caught in a camp a ways from the road, tossed everything in the back of the truck and took off down the trail to get out of there before they got snowed in. I've seen it happen before and almost got caught myself a couple times... anyway, still use the tupperware at home and the silverware got tossed in the camp silverware holder for future use and the pots and pans went into the camping box....

Once out fishing I caught one of those folding knives we used to get for a couple bucks in stores that were shaped like a banana and about the same color scales. This one had a knife blade and a file with a fish hook disgorger on the end. Well, we were floating the river and had arranged a shuttle so when we got to the take out a couple days later, we went to get the truck/trailer to load the boat and we noticed a tire was wobbling. Jacked it up and realized the bearing had got hot and came apart during the shuttle drive which was about 65-70 miles... ran up to the only gas station in Maupin, Oregon about 5 minutes before they closed on that Sunday and found the last set of bearings that fit that axle and went back to the boat to replace it. Tried to get the old bearing pieces off the axle and realized they were not going to come off willingly and the spindle was scored so bad we wouldn't be able to get the new bearing on. After scratching my head a few times, I remembered the knife and whipped it out. Used that cheap file on the knife to clean up the scoring on the spindle and slipped the bearing on, assembled everything, and headed for home.... that darned file was one of the sharpest files I've ever used and it did a great job on that spindle... not sure I know where that knife is now...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Just this year after a season of cancer treatments and surgeries I found out while hunting my eyes and good binos can cover a lot more terrain than my feet.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Found a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses on a rock at the top of a small hill while caribou hunting up in northern Canada.

The guide had said the area was "Un-hunted by white men"

Guess the Inuits liked Ray bans! laugh

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I have found nothing, my son found a 1911 pistol last year, but found the owner. My neighbor that took me out moose hunting this year, found a Wnchester Model 70 .270 Win, or .30-06 (I can't remember) two years ago in the parking area. He ran a notice on a local hunting Facebook post and no one ever claimed it. He said he's giving it to his son when he is old enough to hunt big game in a couple of years.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I did not find it hunting but in 1983 my wife and I served as short term missionaries at a parochial boarding school on a small island in the Caribbean. One of the first days there I was walking into the water on the ocean side of the island getting ready to go snorkeling for dinner when I looked down there was a Gerber LST resting on the see floor in about 3' of water. Grabbed it, took it home and carried it for years. It has now been sharpened so many times I have to be careful reaching for it in my pocket because the tip of the blade is now exposed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
Found an old Collins axe on the side of a dirt road a few months back. About got the head reconditioned, down to the sandpaper and whetstone stage. Still need to find the right piece of hickory.

House Handle Co.

Ask them to hand pick you one for grain orientation.

Last edited by High_Noon; 11/12/21.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Buck 110 folder.....someone must have left it on his bumper after dressing out a deer.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 64 invisible), 2,138 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,775
Posts18,495,765
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.