-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you check inside its mouth.................probably still had some of mommys milk in there.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by fishingnut71
who the hell shoots a calf? if i had an antlerless tag id be looking for a mature cow and if not then just eat my tag. this is what anti hunters use to shut us down.

Who are you to judge what anyone else shoots! If it's legal, who cares? Besides you obviously. I've been a member on this site long enough to see the constant childish BS. For all you know the man may just be trying to put food on the table. If you don't agree with what he does just keep your opinion to yourself and go on about life. There is NO need to post a comment about what somebody shoots or should have shot other than congratulations. Just my 2 cents. Congratulations Clarkm!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hey that’s more of an elk than 99 percent of the guys I know have killed. Most of them can’t get off the couch long enough or can’t possibly drive to the mtns and go hunting somewhere they’ve never been. Hope it’s good eating for you.

U
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
U
Congrats on making meat.

Many people call calves yearlings.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
only the ones that don't know the difference....

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In general "yearlings" are defined as having lived at least a year....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is what a yearling elk bull or cow will look like for size. Pic taken on game cam in Sept 2018 in my driveway. This guy would have been born around June 1, 2017, so about 15 months old.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is what a elk calf would look like in September at about 3-4 months old. Pic taken also in Sept this year by gamecam at my watertrough.
t
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

All those backeasters that age their deer as 3 1/2, 4 1/2, 5 1/2 year olds instead of them just being even years like their kids by birthday, would call this elk a half-year old.....

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22

All those backeasters that age their deer as 3 1/2, 4 1/2, 5 1/2 year olds instead of them just being even years like their kids by birthday, would call this elk a half-year old.....

😄

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
A good reminder that the neck is never an appropriate place to shoot an elk, or probably any game animal. They MAY drop, but it's entirely possible for a bullet to pass through the neck without hitting anything vital.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman22

I never have figured out where that came from. Being a westerner, I don't play.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TN25BORE
who the hell shoots a calf? if i had an antlerless tag id be looking for a mature cow and if not then just eat my tag. this is what anti hunters use to shut us down.

Who are you to judge what anyone else shoots! If it's legal, who cares? Besides you obviously. I've been a member on this site long enough to see the constant childish BS. For all you know the man may just be trying to put food on the table. If you don't agree with what he does just keep your opinion to yourself and go on about life. There is NO need to post a comment about what somebody shoots or should have shot other than congratulations. Just my 2 cents. Congratulations Clarkm!

We call it live and let live but it seems there's an ever dwindling supply of that nowadays.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Did you happen to notice this?

"A week ago several elk were taken in the same area. I hear it was a regular bullet festival. This one was an orphan trying to cross a fence to join some beef cows."

I bet it's tasty!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This year, I killed a yearling with my muzzleloader... Guilt free....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last year I killed this calf with my muzzleloader, shortly after killing it's mother with my muzzleloader.. All guilt free....

This year my wife killed this calf with my rifle, very shortly after I killed its mother with my rifle.... I was pretty guilt free but my wife didn't enjoy shooting the calf. She says she never will again and I'll respect that. But she sure loves eating them...

Calf elk is the 2nd best piece of elk steak there is. Followed by a yearling because they taste very similarly delicious, just about 100 more pounds of meat on a yearling compared to a calf...

All you anti hunter sympathizers that are worried about their little anti feelings need to grow a set of nuts and realize they could care less what you kill. You can hide in a closet for what you are all you want. A legally taken elk is a legally taken elk. Go pound sand if you have a problem with it and think your hunting ethics somehow make you superior to those who subsist of wild game instead of needing a trophy rack for the wall. We're all murderers in the eyes of antis.. Who gives a crap what they think....

Todd

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
justahunter. you are dead nuts right with what you posted . if it is legal and you kill it any body that don't like it should shut the fugg up

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho recognizes only 2 types of elk - antlered and antler-less. The legal difference is whether the longest antler (if any) exceeds 6" in length. A spike with antlers that small is so rare that guessing the length is almost irrelevant.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Can you be a sport and explain how killing a calf impacts the herd negatively as opposed to a cow? And why Game and Fish departments use the criteria of antlerless to manage game?

Or do you not care about that and are just taking this opportunity to judge others with your emotion-based yet fact-less ethics and crackpot lay-theories?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Calves make up the biggest share of winter kill. Shooting a calf that could well not survive anyway is better for the herd than shooting a producing cow that's almost certain to survive.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Winter kill is now but a myth. All little calves will surely survive to old age due to global warming.......

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
How much does a calf when its gutted?

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 160user, 16penny, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,652
Posts18,474,627
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.