Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats and nice write up Beav.

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good stuff Beav! Hoping for details on the suck after you've had a nap and your third application of Ben-Gay!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Continued....

The Suck !

I go over the highlights of what transpired in the 120 seconds of elk hunting bliss I had with Dan. Then it was time to figure out the fur extraction. Dan, askā€™s me if I have a landmark on the bull because you canā€™t see either one from where we are standing....Sure, pard, theyā€™re right over there šŸ‘‰ pointing my finger while making a circular motion in a down direction....Iā€™m lying ~ I knew there aboutā€™s where weā€™d locate hooves.

Plan was simple enough...Hike to the lower cat road I was originally on before I was raped by the earlier fog. Find the correct side of the mountain, head up into the thick stuff and hope to get eyes on or smell dead elk.

Danā€™s a hard charger and takes the lead by heading up first into the brush after I assured him this was the correct hillside. Little fun fact, Iā€™m a survivor of Vertigo. Iā€™ve had it more than I havenā€™t the last 3.5 years. Itā€™s one of the main reasons I closed my house painting company several months ago. Iā€™m functional, but walking on uneven ground can be difficult, even without vertigo. With it, itā€™s like riding in a boat on the open sea. Things under my feet can feel woozy? If woozy is a word.

Anyway, we drop our rifles and dump our packs out of all non-essential items on the top of the hill we just climbed. Weā€™ll be passing this spot several times on the way out before the night is over. Danno, makes haste by climbing through the thick shĆ®t and down onto the side hill of the clear cut the bulls should be on...

Iā€™m 15 yards behind, eagle eyed watching Danā€™s progress while tending to the womanā€™s work of moving and throwing any and all slash, sticks, logs and rocks outta my fĆ»ckā€™n way! Call it making a path and making it wide. You canā€™t guarantee the first path you make to locate a down animal is going to be the same path youā€™ll take heading out with your first load. But, if it is, Iā€™m ahead of the game.

Pic looks sorta flat, but itā€™s actually the low side of the cut.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Dan, hollers at me from somewhere ahead that I canā€™t see, asking if I think the elk are up higher than the course we are traveling? Yeah, maybe, is my reply...Big help the Beav is being, but I donā€™t really know. Weā€™re down in the shĆ®t. My nose is sniffing the air like a hound dog hoping to catch the telltale smell of a dead elk ~ nothing.

I grab a handful of young Doug Fir bows to pull myself up higher on the side hill to continue my search. Boom, I see an elk leg sticking up! I shout to Dan that I got one. The spike has been located. Within minutes Dan shouts back from ahead and above me that heā€™s found the 5x5. Sweet Jesus, the search is over.

Dan, comes down to me at the spike. Iā€™ve already looked over the death bed situation. As far as having good access to work on this bull ~ itā€™s not too bad, sorta flat, with no deep indentation ie....HOLE. Elk seem to get sucked into these natural voids after being shot. We made a couple quick adjustments to the spikes position and heā€™s good to go for separating hide and quartering.

I asked Dan how far up the 5x5 is? Maybe 40 yards up ahead, but 10 yards higher. Then he breaks the news to me. Itā€™s in a tough spot, a HOLE...Well, FĆ»ck Me!

I donā€™t even want to go look. Dan, had killed a cow elk back in February of this year that I helped him get. That whore died in a hole that turned her big cow body into a pretzel on the side of a steep cut. Both of us couldnā€™t get enough leverage to haul her ass out of the deep root pocket she died in. I worked that elk up for him while he held a leg here, and a snout there for me. I assumed the 5x5 would be in something just as ugly.

Spike...An easy spot to work on.

While Danno starts to work on his spike, I scamper up to my bull with dread hanging over me on what Iā€™m gonna find...Meh, not that bad. Itā€™s in a hole, but itā€™s a shallow hole and the bull isnā€™t very big. Very doable without much fuss. I prance back down to Dan to help.

Footnote: Prance and Scamper in context means (I slowly, made my way, looking at the ground the entire way)

5x5...Not as bad as I envisioned.

Itā€™s interesting when you have two people who are experienced hunters, but go about things differently. Trying to reach a consensus on what is best practices can become, well, interesting. This wasnā€™t one of those situations. We both knew what needed to get done, and we went about it with an attitude of slow is slow, fast is fast. Break these bulls down, get the quarters off the mountain and to the cat road. Then start hauling meat to the rig parked at the locked gate 1.5 miles away....Rinse, repeat 3 more times into the night.

Pic is a dead giveaway of a meat hunter...grins

Meat stacked on the cat road, ready to be loaded and hauled up and out.

Dan, took the spike out first to the cat road while I broke down the 5x5. Our path off the mountain was right where the spike lay dead. Needing a clear path, the spike was moved outta the way first.

Pic of Danno, taking a breather packing out the 5x5 at the bones of the spike. It was a theme for us in this terrain. Make 40 yards of gain, then break for a breath. A lot more huffing and puffing met us this night. Not a lot of words were passed between us, either. Talking took effort and trying to stay upright was more important. We just freighted meat and drank White Claws and water that I dropped in the road on our way back in after the first load was taken out.

Me coming out with the 3rd load of the night. Iā€™m carrying the horns in front of me, so when Iā€™d slip and fall, the antlers wouldnā€™t impale me in the guts...When we got to the cat road, Dan, and I agreed we couldnā€™t do a 4th load. We had one shoulder and a ham that weā€™d need to come back for the next morning....So close, yet so, far away.

We started the hunt with a cool and clear morning. Then we got smashed with wind and dense fog, which lifted to a high sun. Then night came and light wind and rain was our fate for the remainder of the night. Footnote: itā€™s ridiculous just how slippery a coastal clear cut will become when rain is added to the adventure. Iā€™m literally telling you that a 10ā€ long 2ā€ around stick that is on your path while side hilling it, will drop you just as quickly as hitting ice on your front porch step...Mother FĆ»cking Whore was screamed many times.

Hereā€™s a log that weā€™d been using as a step up and down to the 5x5 until it decided to shĆ®t the bed and separate under my boot while Iā€™m under load with a shoulder and a meat pack. It launched me face first, almost throwing me into a full somersault. MFW!

Pic of all the meat, sans a shoulder and hindquarter finally at the rig...Iā€™d popped 8 Advil and 4 Tylenolā€™s this day. I couldnā€™t tell you how many White Claws I drank, because I suck at math, but it was more than 5 and less than 7.

I got to bed around 10:30PM that night after squaring away the meat in refrigeration. I didnā€™t sleep much, getting myself up at 2AM for coffee. My body ached, but I was thinking mostly about another pack in and out that we had to do this morning....

Why didnā€™t we just ā€œEmbrace The Suckā€ and make that one last push for the final load? Well, thatā€™s the mind game ~ Wishing you did something earlier, that you absolutely didnā€™t feel like you could do at the time. This morning it was ā€œLetā€™s Go Brandonā€...We made it up to the meat around 10AM and back to the house by almost 1PM.

Iā€™m tired, my back is sore, and my shoulders are hating on me, but Iā€™m gtg. It was good elk hunt.

Now itā€™s time to make meat.

Thanks SLM, for your curiosity in my Coastal elk hunts, otherwise I wouldnā€™t have hijacked Tinycocks thread about both men and women never being able to feel him during sex. šŸ˜³

šŸ¦«

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
ā€œMolon Labeā€
T_Inman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Thanks SLM, for your curiosity in my Coastal elk hunts, otherwise I wouldnā€™t have hijacked Tinycocks thread about both men and women never being able to feel him during sex. šŸ˜³

You're going to make me blushblush.

I must ask though....you made it to the rally point at 10 AM for the last load and made it back to the house by 1 PM? 3 hours is all it took?

You can pack my meat anytime.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

You're going to make me blushblush.

I must ask though....you made it to the rally point at 10 AM for the last load and made it back to the house by 1 PM? 3 hours is all it took?

You can pack my meat anytime.....

Doing a 3 mile round trip 4 times doesnā€™t even scale compared to your Sheep haul.

I doubt I could carry your meat farther than a city block. šŸ˜

šŸ¦«

ā€œMolon Labeā€
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Nice write up Beav! Congrats on beating the odds. Those coast bulls are certainly earned.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good stuff beavā€™ā€¦Great read.

Iā€™m not going to lie, I laughed a little every time you fell etc.

TinyCOCK must sext you the same pics, itā€™s like a penis, only a lot smaller.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Great hunt and write up Beav. You probably could have used that WhiteClaw lip balmā€¦ Studly work packing all that out.

Cheers šŸ»

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

šŸ¦«

About damn time you realize how the world works.

Nice bulls BTW. Elk made an absolute fool of me this year, though I was hunting new ground.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hey Beaver. Why donā€™t you have one of those Quiet Kat ebikes and a trailer? Or can you not use those on those closed logging roads?

You would look good riding it with your Sitka hatā€¦

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Good stuff beavā€™ā€¦Great read.

Iā€™m not going to lie, I laughed a little every time you fell etc.

TinyCOCK must sext you the same pics, itā€™s like a penis, only a lot smaller.

Laffin at a handicapped hunter is always fun. I do it at retards every chance I get. šŸ¤£

The first pic Tiny ever sent me of it, at first, I wasnā€™t sure if he wanted me to see his little muscle, or the sore that was covering it. šŸ§

šŸ¦«

ā€œMolon Labeā€
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Springcove
Great hunt and write up Beav. You probably could have used that WhiteClaw lip balmā€¦ Studly work packing all that out.

Cheers šŸ»

Thanks, Sc....I had no balm on me. Wished I did, but it was way past too late.

Hey Beaver. Why donā€™t you have one of those Quiet Kat ebikes and a trailer? Or can you not use those on those closed logging roads?

Anything mechanical is verboten. Animal, pedal power, or boots, is the only allowed form of transportation on these lands.

šŸ¦«

PS

I do look pretty sexy in my Sitka uniform...LOL

ā€œMolon Labeā€
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Cheers šŸ»

Thanks, Sc....I had no balm on me. Wished I did, but it was way past too late.

Anything mechanical is verboten. Animal, pedal power, or boots, is the only allowed form of transportation on these lands.

šŸ¦«

PS

I do look pretty sexy in my Sitka uniform...LOL

Thatā€™s what I figured and yes yes you doā€¦šŸ˜‚

We will put you on the cover of the 24hourcampfire calendarā€¦

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

šŸ¦«

About damn time you realize how the world works.

Nice bulls BTW. Elk made an absolute fool of me this year, though I was hunting new ground.

Well, shƮt the bed and give details, dammit!

Whatā€™s the short and long on your elk hunt in new country?

šŸ¦«

PS

You being unsuccessful in territory that youā€™re unfamiliar with, probably has some education value to a few of us ā€”ā€”ā€”see my first sentence.

ā€œMolon Labeā€
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Colorado was a nice easy walk, elevation was only bad part. Montana black tail was the same w a few grizz encounters. Toughest hunting was Idaho, 30 miles North of Salmon. You could roll a rock from the top of a moutain to the bottom. Only way to get around was on a 7ā€ wide game trail.

Question what is a Montana blacktail? The toughest I hunted would be Idaho side of Hells Canyon , the easiest the Oregon high desert!

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I grouse hunted off of a mid 80's 49cc Honda Spree with a centrifugal clutch one time. It was red, but so badly faded it was basically pink. It had the basket to hold beer, birds and everything else.
That thing was SWEET!

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06
Originally Posted by Fullfan
Colorado was a nice easy walk, elevation was only bad part. Montana black tail was the same w a few grizz encounters. Toughest hunting was Idaho, 30 miles North of Salmon. You could roll a rock from the top of a moutain to the bottom. Only way to get around was on a 7ā€ wide game trail.

Question what is a Montana blacktail?

I am guessing he means Blacktail Mountain area near the Flathead. Lots of griz in that country.

Maybe the Blacktail ranch near Wolf Creek? There are also some areas called Blacktail near Dillon.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[
Well, shƮt the bed and give details, dammit!

Whatā€™s the short and long on your elk hunt in new country?

šŸ¦«

PS

You being unsuccessful in territory that youā€™re unfamiliar with, probably has some education value to a few of us ā€”ā€”ā€”see my first sentence.

Don't yell at me fĆ¼cker....I have very sensitive feelings.

I hunted with a friend in his spot. I have hunted near there before, but not right there.
Some out of staters camped 50 yards from us the night before the opener...several miles in. Oh well but what can you do? My buddy shot a fair 6x6 opening morning, but that is nothing new. He's one of those guys who hikes 5-600 yards from the tent and stumbles into elk out in the open. Year after year-after year-after year.

The out of staters screwed up my hunts every day, despite me being in my spot an hour before light. Right at light here'd they come, tromping down the trail. They ended up shooting 2 smaller bulls out from underneath me which really wasn't a big deal. I had one decent bull come over the border from Montana and we locked eyes at 50 yards and then he spooked. There was no responsible shot I could have taken on him. I saw plenty of spikes and cows over the next 10 days but never another decent bull. I finally decided to take a spike on the last day I planned to hunt, but the group of spikes I had been keeping my eye on disappeared that day, never to be seen again. Hit and lost a solid mule deer 3-4 days into it.

Jerked it several times. Crashed my motorcycle a few times. Drank a couple of beers. That was my hunt.
Then I went to mommy's house and helped my niece shoot a dink mule deer buck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Laffin...

Iā€™m sorry, Tiny. šŸ˜ž

You know how I get when Iā€™m frustrated with you.

By the way, today is my birthday, and you didnā€™t even wish me a Happy Christmas.

Now, Iā€™m going to read the important stuff I told you to post.

šŸ˜¬šŸ¦«

ā€œMolon Labeā€
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

I grouse hunted off of a mid 80's 49cc Honda Spree with a centrifugal clutch one time. It was red, but so badly faded it was basically pink. It had the basket to hold beer, birds and everything else.
That thing was SWEET!

Now that I would like to seeā€¦šŸ˜‚

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,021
Posts18,481,659
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.