Print Thread
Hop To
H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Spent 3 days in Southern Alberta chasing pheasants. We are allowed 2 a day and there was only one day that the flushing birds were not cooperative. Finn did very well in adapting to the various new conditions. Birds running in irrigation canals or pivot tracks and not being able to see your dog was new one to me. We did manage to get one Melanistic bird. Very good size but hit the willows hard enough to be impaled and also has a weak tail so a mount was quickly ruled out.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hugh
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
well done. How was the wind? Good dog that can figure out runners!

Last edited by ribka; 11/12/21.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Nice looking dog and pics congrats. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by ribka

We had really heavy winds on two days. Made it tougher for the dog and once the birds were up and turned they were moving.

You are right on the runners --- this one made me smile

On the runners I watched a father and son with their dog and a pheasant they thought they had cornered. The grass is knee to mid thigh high so easy to lose track of the dog. Pheasant headed east away from the Dad. Son and dog went east to cut it off, pheasant doubled back and dropped down in an irrigation ditch. Neither the Dad or son saw the bird or their dog drop into the ditch. There was an access road with a big culvert that connected to another ditch with a small bridge for the flood gate. Near as I can figure the pheasant went through the curvert heading west and under the bridge, as the dog came up on the east side of the culvert, the son and Dad were pointing into the grass to the east to get the dog to go there and I watched the pheasant come up on a bank down a distance on the west side of the bridge, cross a trail behind the Dad to the west and head into a grass pasture to the north.

Hugh
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Nice pics!!!!

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Nice pic’s. The second one has the quality of a painting.

Also, needless to say, nice gun.

H
HughW Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
Nice pic’s. The second one has the quality of a painting. Also, needless to say, nice gun.

Thanks. The original picture was taken right as the sun was setting so not much light and it needed some work. I play around with post processing on shots a bit and the original was the type of picture that would lend it self well to photographic effects. I did a couple of other versions. The colourized version below has the colouring that "bled outwards" on the top of the fence post removed. Then there is a non coloured version --- not really a B&W.

Hugh
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

cool. They are smart birds. Ive seen roosters do some amazing things to avoid dogs. Its been a windy year for me and challenging for dogs

Originally Posted by HughW
Originally Posted by ribka

We had really heavy winds on two days. Made it tougher for the dog and once the birds were up and turned they were moving.

You are right on the runners --- this one made me smile

On the runners I watched a father and son with their dog and a pheasant they thought they had cornered. The grass is knee to mid thigh high so easy to lose track of the dog. Pheasant headed east away from the Dad. Son and dog went east to cut it off, pheasant doubled back and dropped down in an irrigation ditch. Neither the Dad or son saw the bird or their dog drop into the ditch. There was an access road with a big culvert that connected to another ditch with a small bridge for the flood gate. Near as I can figure the pheasant went through the curvert heading west and under the bridge, as the dog came up on the east side of the culvert, the son and Dad were pointing into the grass to the east to get the dog to go there and I watched the pheasant come up on a bank down a distance on the west side of the bridge, cross a trail behind the Dad to the west and head into a grass pasture to the north.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 12 invisible), 1,493 guests, and 826 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.