Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Happy belated BD beav’.

If I had known, I would have sent a 12 pack of Natural Light.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Happy belated BD beav’.

Did Tiny tell you I was dieting again and only drinking light beer?

😬🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Oh man Beaver, did I miss your birthday? Shame on me.
So does the Eagle fly on Friday?!

T_Inman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by SLM
Happy belated BD beav’.

Did Tiny tell you I was dieting again and only drinking light beer?

😬🦫

Double rainbow boy!!!!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

PS. I mucho prefer light beer, and I ain't on no diet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Late to the party here, but that's now abnormal for a normal guy like me.

Cool stuff y'all, especially Beaver's takeover of the thread.

Beav, a question for you. Do you own any caulks? Maybe not for hunting, but for recovery. Set of Korker type goodies you could put on your hunting boots. I know for sure, it was awfully nice to have our wading shoes on when we came out of/went into a creek on the timberlands in NorCal. Them friggen wet stick, rocks, logs, and even puckerbrush are SLICK.

And who the heck goes outside without sunglasses. Sheesh.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never used corks. Wished many, many, times I had them on my feet though.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems there's some screw in types you could put into your boots, but then you'd have to take them off when you get in the truck. (That's what romeos are made for, so tenderfoots have something easy to protect their sensitive tootsies. I just drive barefoot wink )

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffsb&q=Wading+spikes&ia=web

I've thought about something like these too:

https://bestreviews.com/sports-fitness/snow-sports/best-ice-cleats

Except for maybe catching on brush and slash, these might work for more than one season also:

https://korkers.com/products/casttrax?variant=24522004660324

I hated slipping and sliding out there. Around here, it's ice and snow in the winter time, the rest of the year everything it DRY!

Glad you and Dan got some meat.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Beav, a question for you. Do you own any caulks? Maybe not for hunting, but for recovery. Set of Korker type goodies you could put on your hunting boots. I know for sure, it was awfully nice to have our wading shoes on when we came out of/went into a creek on the timberlands in NorCal. Them friggen wet stick, rocks, logs, and even puckerbrush are SLICK.

They’re magic in this country. Pair of extra tuffs with corks are great bang for the buck.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Judman
Originally Posted by Valsdad

They’re magic in this country. Pair of extra tuffs with corks are great bang for the buck.

Never wore those. My feet hate rubber boots unless actually working in the water. Folks in the Juneau area loved them though. Caulked or plain.

In it is contentment

T_Inman Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Never wore corks myself, but Kahtoola K10s work wonders for wet logs and brush, let alone ice or snow covered frozen ground. Microspikes too in a pinch but the elastic bands don't last too long.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Roughest elk country would be the Salt River range between Etna and Alpine WY. Easiest elk country would be the Red Desert of WY.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Great thread. Reminds me of my younger days. My toughest elk hunting was done just west of Bondurant Wyoming. Steep! Lots of elk though, man I wish my knees were that good nowadays. So I now just glass the desert and put the sneak on em.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Never wore corks myself, but Khatoola K10s work wonders for wet logs and brush, let alone ice or snow covered frozen ground. Microspikes too in a pinch but the elastic bands don't last too long.

I like the look of those microspike thingies. Might have to get me a pair to toss in the day pack.

Seems like a reasonable accommodation for the type of hunting Beav is doing too. Keep 'em handy for the pack out.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easiest is a relative word, never really had an easy one, but probably least strenuous is in WY in the Pacific Creek drainage, late season, deep snow, always on horesback.............spot elk, jump off with rifle, light 'em up if you can.

Toughest / hardest is the upper Selway around the Lochsa river area...............not all that high, not all that steep, mostly always wet, pure, dense jungle, pure hell on foot.

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It can't get much easier than where we got 2 elk this Tuesday. It was 10 miles north of Bliss, ID. Flat with a few low rolling hills. Some grass, some sagebrush, some small rocks. The trick is to find them where they can't see you from a mile away. I posted this pic a couple days ago. Look at the background. Most of it's 3500 to 4000'. Even sea level city boys won't be sucking too much air at that altitude. It's too much land and too open to walk around looking. That would be totally futile. Everyone drives the roads and glasses from high points. We spotted these elk from a hill top with a soaring peak of 3720' and shot them 1.5 miles away at 3600'. We walked 1.2 miles to get to them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Nothing wrong with that meat on the hoof, and easy to get to!

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Might have to start a new thread on this. But I was fortunate enough this year to hunt Elk in 3 different states. Utah, Oregon and Arizona, in that order. Seems like UT and AZ you can drive your quad/side by side almost anywhere you want. While in OR, it is only on main forest roads and all the side roads off of it, are closed off to motorized vehicle, majority of the time.
So not sure some of these UT and AZ boys know what putting miles on the boots and packing out really means.
I could be wrong, but I’m just going off what I’ve seen this year.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dre
Might have to start a new thread on this. But I was fortunate enough this year to hunt Elk in 3 different states. Utah, Oregon and Arizona, in that order. Seems like UT and AZ you can drive your quad/side by side almost anywhere you want. While in OR, it is only on main forest roads and all the side roads off of it, are closed off to motorized vehicle, majority of the time.
So not sure some of these UT and AZ boys know what putting miles on the boots and packing out really means.

😂😂 this should be good.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dre

I just wish all the ATV and Side by Side drivers would follow the rules... far too many times I've been a mile from a road and some a-hole in an ATV or side by side comes driving over to look over the canyon because he's too damned lazy to walk over and hunt.... and it seems they also have the gall to ask "seen anything" like I'm feeling generous enough to give them any information after they ruined my day's hunt....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,707
Posts18,513,889
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.