I paid $175 in late 2019. A gunsmith might ask quite a bit more now that money's worth less than it used to be. I doubt I could find anyone competent to do it for less than $200 within 100 miles. I would pay more for a job like the one Dingo showed there, but I seriously doubt I could find a smith that would do work like that. People anywhere near here with that kind of work ethic -- and that's all it takes, a work ethic, it's not a job that takes a lot of training or skill. People 'round here with a good work ethic have a 2 year wait list and they can pick the kind of work they do. Bedding isn't the work most likely to be picked.

I'm resigned that to get a job done like that, I'd have to learn to do it myself. I haven't done bedding yet. I understand the process. It's not difficult or elaborate, but it takes time and patience to do it carefully and correctly. I'd need to do a few before I'd attempt it on a valuable stock. The reason I outsourced it in 2019 is just because I was pressed for time before a deer hunt. The stock was just a laminated one but I couldn't afford to be without it for the upcoming trip and didn't have time to get in a replacement.