-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am convinced the full curl rule has much to do with the decline. The ADFG argument is it increases opportunity. Which I interpret as more of the most important sheep being killed and selecting the worst sheep to lead them through winter.

Radio collaring small rams to track them was difficult because they found so many were actually legal by age...there is much more to the argument...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ned Rozell just had an article out that claimed recent studies indicate Golden Eagle population is three times previously thought.
We sure had plenty of em around here this fall.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Book in Canada. I know it's been a $hit show the last couple of years up there w Covid, but things are getting pretty much back to normal as far as an American being able to go on a sheep hunt there. Both sheep hunts I have booked up there were done 2-3 years out, and any outfitter I have ever asked "how much do I need to give you to hold the spot?" has been very flexible in working out a payment schedule.

For a dall my first 3 calls would be to Arctic Red River, Gana River, and Raven's Throat.

Let us know who you end up booking with..... talking to different outfitters and deciding who to book with is a very exciting part of the process. Enjoy

Last edited by WideOpenSpaces; 12/06/21.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dave Marsh, Big Game Big Country. I hunted with him in 2011 and had the experience of a lifetime.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VernAK
Ned Rozell just had an article out that claimed recent studies indicate Golden Eagle population is three times previously thought.
We sure had plenty of em around here this fall.

And they are the main interior lamb predator... but the coyotes are the problem in the Chugach.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
All the NWT outfitters are well north of 30 grand. I was booked with Nahanni Butte but haven't had the jab. Jim was gonna add a surcharge. New bookings are 31,000 and Ravensthroat and the others are even higher. Great hunting but Wow!!!! I'm probably going to Kodiak or the Peninsula for Brown bear again.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scottf270
All the NWT outfitters are well north of 30 grand. I was booked with Nahanni Butte but haven't had the jab. Jim was gonna add a surcharge. New bookings are 31,000 and Ravensthroat and the others are even higher. Great hunting but Wow!!!! I'm probably going to Kodiak or the Peninsula for Brown bear again.

Wow....they're low to mid $20K in AK. I know Stone sheep hunts in the Yukon and BC have doubled in price lately to around $40K+ USD, but I wasn't aware that the dall hunts had jumped so much too. Are you sure that $30K estimate for NWT dall hunts is not in Canadian dollars as opposed to USD??

I got an 11 year old ram this year in the Talkeetnas on a DIY hunt....maybe I was just lucky but I am hoping that I am just that good.....

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Wow....they're low to mid $20K in AK. I know Stone sheep hunts in the Yukon and BC have doubled in price lately to around $40K+ USD, but I wasn't aware that the dall hunts had jumped so much too. Are you sure that $30K estimate for NWT dall hunts is not in Canadian dollars as opposed to USD??

I got an 11 year old ram this year in the Talkeetnas on a DIY hunt....maybe I was just lucky but I am hoping that I am just that good.....

I’ve seen enough of your posts to perceive you know what you’re doing. But you’re lucky to be where you can hunt them on your own. If I was younger and knew what I know now…..

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
All in US Dollars. Some have prices on their websites.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rickshaw

I’ve seen enough of your posts to perceive you know what you’re doing. But you’re lucky to be where you can hunt them on your own. If I was younger and knew what I know now…..

Well I do appreciate that. It's about all I look forward to anymore....but ya....I got stationed in North Carolina after growing up in the Rocky Mountain west hunting general season mule deer and elk. I learned real quick how lucky I was to grow up where I did, as far as being outdoors goes. That has for sure carried over to where work has taken me.

Scott, I just looked at Raven's Throat's website and holy hell...all kinds of add on prices. With flights and taxidermy, tags and whatever else, you'll be at $40K USD for a dall sheep. It really is becoming a rich man's sport.

IC B3

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W

Dall in NWT:
Backpack hunts in 2022 are $30K USD, $32K for 2023 hunts.
Horseback hunts in 2022 are $32 USD, $34K for 2023 hunts.

True Stone hunts in BC are $50K USD on the low end, $60-70K for some of the high end outfits/best areas.

These prices just get you the slot, they don't include airfare, most don't include bush flight into base camp and back (this is another $1,500 - $2,500 per hunter), hotels, licenses, gratuities, expediting of trophies, taxidermy, or taxidermy shipping.

It's easy to say just go to Alaska for Dalls, but there is a reason it's cheaper. Not only are there more trophy animals running around in the NWT/Yukon, it's also a different experience when you are in sheep country. On my 12 day backpack hunt in the NWT, I didn't see a single airplane in the sky. We saw one Canadian military helicopter for about 30 seconds, otherwise it was like we were on another planet and had it all to ourselves. Regardless, with what has been happening lately in Alaska, if I was a lower 48er wanting to go on a Dall hunt, I would ask myself, would I rather spend $25K and have a 50% chance, or spend 7K more and have only myself to blame if I come home empty handed....

As far as "prices going up".....the value of our dollar goes down every day thanks to inflation.....that's the real issue

Last edited by WideOpenSpaces; 12/07/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
While the Canadian hunting can be a more remote, unspoiled hunt, don't forget our dollar is usually 20 to 35% above theirs in value. I've always felt the Canadian hunts should be less than Alaskan hunts. The $40,000 dollar hunt represents 50 to 55 thousand Canadian.

I guess supply and demand will find the true price.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Supposedly, according to a Hunt'n Fool article, guided dall hunts either this year or last in AK were at 54% success. Not sure if that is a reflection of sheep numbers or the quality of hunters, or something else....but it is something to think about.

It is a lot of $ for odds such as that. Research your chosen outfitter well.

Sheep numbers are falling and falling hard almost everywhere in AK...

Sheep harvest data is still being compiled but I've seen a few numbers and they appear dismal.

I've hear that guided hunt success in the Alaska Range was 25% but I haven't seen confirming data.

DCUA early hunt DS203 had overall success rate of 27% with average age 8.5 years
DCUA late hunt DS204 had overall success rate of 18% with average age 7.0 years

+

I guide with Alaska Rivers Wild Adventures. My boss is Spencer Pape. Thankfully I rarely do sheep but the younger guys do. Usually run right at or at 100 percent. This fall was the toughest year ever IIRC. I think they were at 50%. I was 100% on moose again though.

That said give em a call. Usually booked a few years out. Native property leased. Usually hunting out of small cabins. Though spike out as needed.

Spencer will reply and have all the data you need.

Just another option.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
^ John Latham’s old area.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

exactly.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Here is a video to get you fired up OP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0GxBU0D5o0&t=8s

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

exactly.

This is what that area produced 50 some odd years ago.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
WOW!
Unbelievable.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I was born a generation too late.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Sad if you think about it.
Imagine fifty years prior to that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 78 invisible), 3,104 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,353
Posts18,487,900
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.