Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Of course....why wouldn't you?

Neither a bolt rifle nor a muzzleloader make a very effective defensive weapon. I'm not worried about critters, but people suck and have a tendency to show up where they ought not be.

Everyone is welcome to their choice.

If given the choice of either a handgun or bolt gun, I'll go with the bolt action rifle.

Having both is certainly good....

That choice makes less than no sense....but whatever blows your skirt up.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Most of the time, always during bow season. As one poster put it evil can be anywhere.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I carry a sidearm everywhere. Period.

Yep, when not at work I do. Carry a 45 when hunting, fugging pigs are everywhere at the place I hunt. It wouldn’t be good to walk up on a mamma pig with little bitty piglets.

Started carrying my 1911 last year for that same purpose.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 11/19/21.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Four things go in or on my pants every morning...........pistol-pocket knife-wallet-keys...........Feel naked if any item is missed. And yes I carry a sidearm while hunting with long guns and it's usually a big bore.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JPro
I've noticed several of us talking about snakes, and I've had occasion this year to pop some cottonmouth with this little guy when visiting some of my deerstands pre-season. A CCI .22WMR will wrap one up pretty well at 8 feet. I'll also stick in my pocket in hot weather when cutting firewood or doing tractor work around the house.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

while we don't have snakes to worry about, I've often considered this option for the GD red squirrels that infest some of our stands.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My Wife doesn't like me to carry, but after being accosted by a pair of teenage meth-heads back in 2004 while I was trout fishing, I always travel armed. Like they say, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why does your wife not like for you to carry?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I carry every day all day , am always in reach of a handgun . Any place I can't carry I don't go .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Not asking if you use a handgun to hunt with but do you carry a handgun holstered in ed'n to your rifle? Seems like I'm seeing more of it. Just curious. Mb

Depends on the rifle. I carry one when I'm muzzleloader hunting. I carry one sometimes if I'm hunting with a centerfire single shot. I carry one if the rifle cartridge is a .224 or 6mm centerfire. Depends sometimes on where I'm hunting even with slightly larger rifles. There's one spot that's about "spooky" ... something big in there, not sure what it is, but it leaves turds that are about 30 inches long, maybe inch and a half diameter, and seem to be made from meat. 'til I'm sure of what it is, I'll err on the side of caution. Once I'm packing a .270, .280 or bigger 7mm, .308 or bigger .30 cal, etc, then I just pack my rifle.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
My Wife doesn't like me to carry, but after being accosted by a pair of teenage meth-heads back in 2004 while I was trout fishing, I always travel armed. Like they say, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Why in the world would she have an opinion at all, let alone a negative one?

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Not asking if you use a handgun to hunt with but do you carry a handgun holstered in ed'n to your rifle? Seems like I'm seeing more of it. Just curious. Mb

Depends on the rifle. I carry one when I'm muzzleloader hunting. I carry one sometimes if I'm hunting with a centerfire single shot. I carry one if the rifle cartridge is a .224 or 6mm centerfire. Depends sometimes on where I'm hunting even with slightly larger rifles. There's one spot that's about "spooky" ... something big in there, not sure what it is, but it leaves turds that are about 30 inches long, maybe inch and a half diameter, and seem to be made from meat. 'til I'm sure of what it is, I'll err on the side of caution. Once I'm packing a .270, .280 or bigger 7mm, .308 or bigger .30 cal, etc, then I just pack my rifle.

That's some super weird logic....

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Always! You should always carry a handgun in a caliber which begins with at least the number ".4x!" And you should always carry a good, reliable backup gun! These serve me well.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

wink

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Haven't until the last few years however lions are on the increase in several units I hunt..

I never paid them much mind in the past but Sept 17 of this year I was "jumped" by a cougar right in our frickin' yard.

Not sure it would have come for me in other circumstances but it was dark, I saw the eyes reflect in the flashlight same clear but slightly blue color as a deer and about the same spacing, but bobbing and weaving, then ducking in and out behind a tree kind of weird so I went over to take a closer look. Too close. Couldn't make out exactly what I was looking at but I got the itchy feeling and had the gun out and up my last couple steps. When I truly realized what it was, even if it "couldn't be, not in my yard" (TM), I was about 25-27 feet away. I took one slow step backwards and it came around the tree then straight at me closing distance in that low pre launch cat crouch. I couldn't see the sights but I pointed and fired 2 shots anyway. I was above it a little .. one broke it's back and I think the other went into the body somewhere.

I've been a fair bit jumpy ever since.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
So what did your dept of wildlife say about that? Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I know it isn't completely within the context of the OP's parameters, but I think it is important to mention that in Idaho and some other states it is (or used to be at least) illegal to have a pistol or any gun on you when bowhunting. I am not sure if a shotgun is or was allowed. I am also not sure if the increase in grizzlys has made Idaho drop that rule, but it at least used to be that way.

As far as folks here carrying handguns just for cat/bear protection, assuming the animal isn't on top of you, why would you pull a handgun when you have a rifle on you? Exceptions make sense such as when breaking an animal down and your rifle is leaning on a tree 10 feet away, or for whatever reason your rifle isn't immediately on your person, but some of the responses here seem as if you'd throw your rifle to the side to pull out a handgun. That makes zero sense to me, from both an ability to hit and a bullet energy perspective.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I know it isn't completely within the context of the OP's parameters, but I think it is important to mention that in Idaho and some other states it is (or used to be at least) illegal to have a pistol or any gun on you when bowhunting. I am not sure if a shotgun is or was allowed. I am also not sure if the increase in grizzly's has made Idaho drop that rule, but it at least used to be that way.

As far as folks here carrying handguns just for cat/bear protection, assuming the animal isn't on top of you, why would you pull a handgun when you have a rifle on you? Exceptions make sense such as when breaking an animal down and your rifle is leaning on a tree 10 feet away, or for whatever reason your rifle isn't immediately on your person, but some of the responses here seem as if you'd throw your rifle to the side to pull out a handgun. That makes zero sense to me, from both an ability to hit and a bullet energy perspective.

Depending on proximity and circumstance, it would likely be considerably more effective to do exactly what you suggest. A long, heavy, scoped rifle makes a very poor close quarters weapon, for a number of reasons. Given the choice, I would gladly ditch my hunting rifle and its ability to get one shot off in deference to a sidearm that works much better up close.

All of this is stated with the assumption that you actually train with your pistol and not simply wear it as a talisman.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TInman makes a good point, in that at one time here in Wy anyway it was against regulation to have a firearm in your possession while archery hunting. I believe the change in that came about after the shall issue ccw laws, etc come around. I also suspect that the increase in the grizzly bear played a part. Now it just says it's against regulation for any person holding an archery permit to take a big of trophy game animal with a firearm during the archery season.
But keep in mind that even in firearm season, if you use a handgun to finish a downed animal off, that is the firearm the G&F considers to be the one used to "take" the animal, so if for some reason they discover you popped a deer, elk or antelope with a handgun cartridge that isn't "legal" for the purpose of taking big or trophy game there could very well be a fine coming..
Shoulder holster, and a light weight handgun in legal caliber are the best way to go.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
About 15 years ago I was archery hunting and ran into a big black bear by MT standards. I thought it was a cool experience since he was going the other way at 50 yards, I told my wife about it when I got home thinking she would like to here it too. Well, the first thing out of her mouth was, "Did you have your pistol with you. One of the few times I didn't which I told her. She said, "You will always have your pistol with you from now on." She was really upset that I didn't have it with me. Wants me around awhile I guess.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I would never throw my rifle away to shoot a critter, but like has been said I can always have the pistol with me, but not the rifle when doing certain chores.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
When I hunt South Texas I carry a sidearm while deer hunting. For obvious reasons. This is one of the few exceptions where I have a long gun and feel a need to have additional firepower. When I’m carrying concealed ( with a sidearm ) my objective is to defend myself until I can get to a long gun. Guns are great tools. I also carry a side arm when squirrel hunting. You never know when you’ll need more “firepower”.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1minute, 01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,426 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.