Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Nerd alert. Was a huge fan of the books, read the whole series through a couple times. Bought them for my daughter and she made it through the first 4 or 5 then got bored lol.

We’re watching the series on Amazon now.

Curious to the other fans of the books on here and if they’ve seen the show so far what they think.

MAGA
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Read the first five or six books and had the "he's milking this forever" moment most readers have, sooner or later, with that series.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dutch
Read the first five or six books and had the "he's milking this forever" moment most readers have, sooner or later, with that series.

Ha. Yeah I hear that a lot, you’re not wrong. But it was an epic series that anything written after is measured against.

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That is exactly my experience. Think I read the first 5 and was really into the series 25 years ago,,,,but it just never stopped and got too convoluted. From my recollection, there were plenty of opportunities to wrap up all the plot lines, but he just kept going. BTW, has the series concluded?

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Sprint11

That is exactly my experience. Think I read the first 5 and was really into the series 25 years ago,,,,but it just never stopped and got too convoluted. From my recollection, there were plenty of opportunities to wrap up all the plot lines, but he just kept going. BTW, has the series concluded?

Same, it got circular, seemed to go around to the same places and refight the same battles... been a long time though.

Wife and I watched the first episode today, been so long I really don't remember details enough to know how close it is to the book.

Kent

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Love the books, still have them all. Watched the series yesterday not impressed yet, I'll give time.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Read all of Jordan's Conan books in the 80's. Started on this series made thru book 4 I believe. Older Daughter picked up my earlier Fantasy genre bug and read through the whole series.

Have to check out the series.

I don't read that genre anymore but I'll watch any good ones that comeout like LORs.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I didn't even get that far. It's the same with Terry Brooks' Shannara novels; the first three were good, after that it became increasingly difficult to suspend disbelief. I pretty much outgrew the genre in my early twenties. These days it had better be very well written and something original instead of the same old tropes.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have read them all. Jordan himself is dead. Brandon Sanderson finished the series. I will try and watch the series but don’t hold out much hope it will be good.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
So far the tv show is shidt. But that’s always going to be the case trying to put a book, most especially a series this long and complex, to film. But it could be way worse.

They had to condense and simplify a lot of the plot, or else no one would watch it.

MAGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Springcove
I have read them all. Jordan himself is dead. Brandon Sanderson finished the series. I will try and watch the series but don’t hold out much hope it will be good.

Sanderson was given the notes by Jordan’s widow and wrote the last book. And it definitely shows.

It’s way better than it could be, but falls far short of what it could be as well.

MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Funny side note, had a repair guy come by for something. Can’t remember if it was the dish or internet, (I really should because I can count on one hand how many people I’ve allowed through my threshold in the last 6 years lol) point being he was a younger guy and as I walked him through my living room he noticed the Wheel of Time books on the shelf and we got to visiting about them. You either read them or you didn’t. Was really disappointed my daughter quit halfway through. smile

MAGA
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Don't remember the small mountain village populated with 3 or 4 different races.

Kent

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by Springcove

Sanderson was given the notes by Jordan’s widow and wrote the last book. And it definitely shows.

It’s way better than it could be, but falls far short of what it could be as well.

I think Sanderson had to finish the book Jordon was writing at the time of his death as well. Jordons books are difficult to read. Especially when they are 6-700 pages long and he takes forever to pick up the pace. It does all make sense once you finish them and they are well worth it.

There is no way they can do this series justice. It is way to complex. It’s not like game of thrones.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

That's about how far I got, then life got in the way.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What a coincidence; I have all the books on audio and just started listening to them again yesterday. I like to listen to books while I work.

The tv series? I'm sure it's not going to be anywhere near as good as the books, especially with having to be "Woke" minded. I heard that Bridgette Silverbow is going to be a groid. Wonder how many other characters will be changed to groid and/or gay to please the masses. Since they won't stick to the original storyline I refuse to give it any support by my viewership.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I started watching the show until they explained that some guy ruined everything, but the women were there to save the day. Sounded like some woke crap I wouldn't enjoy.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Never heard of it, but I will look at the library tomorrow. Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was a big fan of the genre when I was younger, grade school thru high school. My favorite was the original Conan series by Robert Howard. Many writers wrote Conan stories and I always thought Jordan was one of the better writers. College and career got in the way and didn't have much free time for leisure reading. Wheel of Time was published after I got to busy to read. Just started listening to audiobooks. Needed something to listen to while driving to Edmonton for sheep hunt earlier this fall. Just started book 4 on my way back from a deer hunting trip. I'm running hot and cold on the series thus far, but planning on sticking it out for know.

Last edited by NDHuntr; 11/21/21.

Do or do not, there is no try.
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
If I were just getting into reading, or this genre I don’t know that I’d love the series as much as I do now honestly. It’s mighty slow. But he builds a world very well.

At the time, before ebooks, and audio books there wasn’t much that was this good. Nobody writing this genre now didn’t read this series

The books didn’t really get into race, except the aiel. There is plenty of room for the show to cast black or darker skinned actors without it being a departure honestly. But a lot of the plot comes down to bloodlines, and no way would the Two Rivers be as diverse as portrayed. It was a backwater mountain village.

I understand the need to advance the story so people will tune in, but the departures from the books that have happened so far are a little frustrating. Tam was short shrifted, and the lack of significance to his sword for example, and Perrin being married etc. I’ll keep watching for now but I’m disappointed overall.

MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (1936M71, 2ndwind, 12344mag, 1234, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 49 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,038
Posts18,521,049
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.