Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by jwp475

I know a man that that killed a Nilgi with a 30-30 Contender handgun. If I hunted them or Sambar I would use my 416 Remington loaded with 350 grain TSX at 2630 FPS average speed.

Jwp475,

The rifle of choice for the past Game Warden in Sarita Tx, Kenedy county was a Ruger #1 in 220 Swift. He took many a nilgai with it. Way back in the salad days of our youth we both worked at the same gunshop for a while in Austin. He passed several years back from a brain tumor.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

I know a man that that killed a Nilgi with a 30-30 Contender handgun. If I hunted them or Sambar I would use my 416 Remington loaded with 350 grain TSX at 2630 FPS average speed.

Jwp475,

The rifle of choice for the past Game Warden in Sarita Tx, Kenedy county was a Ruger #1 in 220 Swift. He took many a nilgai with it. Way back in the salad days of our youth we both worked at the same gunshop for a while in Austin. He passed several years back from a brain tumor.

Sorry for the loss of your friend. I know that is possible but I'd still use my 416, because I like it and I could shoot less than perfect shot presentations and still make it the the vitals with a bullet of significant diameter

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Jwp475,

220 Swift reminds me of P. O. Ackley shooting feral donkeys with one. He was impressed with the terminal performance. Check it out.

DF

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Jwp475,

220 Swift reminds me of P. O. Ackley shooting feral donkeys with one. He was impressed with the terminal performance. Check it out.

DF

Ackley used copper bullets in the Swift and took all types of large game.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't think P.O. Ackley actually took much game, if any, with the .220 Swift.

He evidently wasn't much of a hunter. Instead he published articles in his books by/about other people shooting various animals with smaller cartridges, from the .17 AI to .220 Swift.

If anybody can provide me with a published work or photo of P.O. Ackley posing with a dead big game animal I would happily admit being wrong.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I don't think P.O. Ackley actually took much game, if any, with the .220 Swift.

He evidently wasn't much of a hunter. Instead he published articles in his books by/about other people shooting various animals with smaller cartridges, from the .17 AI to .220 Swift.

If anybody can provide me with a published work or photo of P.O. Ackley posing with a dead big game animal I would happily admit being wrong.

Good point.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Frank Glaser shot A LOT of animals, mostly Dall Sheep with the .220 Swift and thought it was about perfect for his purposes.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Can't recall ever shooting a Sambar, But i have killed a few Nilgai, and more than a few Aoudad, With a .243, .223, and .308, Never seem to have a bigger gun when i see them. Rio7

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RIO7

Can't recall ever shooting a Sambar, But i have killed a few Nilgai, and more than a few Aoudad, With a .243, .223, and .308, Never seem to have a bigger gun when i see them. Rio7

Dead is dead.

And knowing how to shoot and where to place the bullet helps…

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Frank Glaser shot A LOT of animals, mostly Dall Sheep with the .220 Swift and thought it was about perfect for his purposes.

I have read Glaser's book several times, and having some experience with the .220 Swift on big game was not surprised--especially since North American sheep in general aren't hard to put down--and Dalls are the smallest of the subspecies. But Glaser did sometimes express a different opinion about the Swift and grizzlies.

I also knew an old "game warden" in Montana who's job often included shooting elk at night off rancher's haystacks. That isn't done anymore, but was back then. His favorite round was the .220 Swift.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like The Office Meme says ... "They're the Same Picture".

GE

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I have read Glaser's book several times, and having some experience with the .220 Swift on big game was not surprised--especially since North American sheep in general aren't hard to put down--and Dalls are the smallest of the subspecies. But Glaser did sometimes express a different opinion about the Swift and grizzlies.

I also knew an old "game warden" in Montana who's job often included shooting elk at night off rancher's haystacks. That isn't done anymore, but was back then. His favorite round was the .220 Swift.

I thoroughly enjoyed Glaser’s book.

DF

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

I thoroughly enjoyed Glaser’s book.

DF

Me too!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My Uncle was a gun guy and he had a Model 64 that was in .219 Zipper. (30-30 necked down to .224) He said it was the perfect deer rifle, ha. I was just a kid and remember it as one neat handling little rifle ( his was carbine length barrel) Never knew what happened to it, his kids ( my older cousins) were grown by the time he died, they took most everything.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Jwp475,

DF

Ackley used copper bullets in the Swift and took all types of large game.

Don’t remember anything about copper bullets. What the scoop on those?

And feral donkeys are the only critters I recall him shooting with the .220S.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I probably never will hunt Nilgai or Sambar due to age and bad knees. But, if I'm ever offered the chance it would just take my .35 Whelen with my 225 gr. TSX load and never look back.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I probably never will hunt Nilgai or Sambar due to age and bad knees. But, if I'm ever offered the chance it would just take my .35 Whelen with my 225 gr. TSX load and never look back.
Paul B.

That would work.

Mid-bores rock. Check out Cutting Edge and Hammer monos.

I’ve enjoyed working with my .358 Win.

DF

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I’ve loved reading about Alaska since I was a little boy and that started my lifelong obsession with the last frontier. Reading Frank Glaser’s book brings me as close to those childhood dreams as I can get without being there. I’ll have to go back and read it again since I learn something new each time I read it. I do know that Frank got into a bind in a box canyon with his dogs and a grizzly that blocked their escape. He put several 30-06 rounds into that bear without the bear acting like the countless others he’d shot in the past. He realized that he grabbed the wrong box of ammo and was using (iirc) 147gr FMJ instead of his usual 220gr soft points.

Frank Glaser is one person that I’d love to spend time with at his Savage River cabin drinking coffee and listening intently to his experiences. I don’t think I’d ever grow tired of listening.

In any case…. I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving and hope that you’re surrounded by the love of family. John B. thanks for your willingness to answer our questions and share your depth and breadth of knowledge with us. Thanks for responding to us and taking the time to answer the same questions that you’ve answered countless times but doing it with patience and kindness.

You are truly an asset to this forum JB. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

748 members (16gage, 160user, 16Racing, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,210
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.