Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#16650814 11/24/21
Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I've shared his stuff in the past - always makes me chuckle. Thought the one on the B52 was pert good.

Me

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
"coitus ditch" smile

Me

Teal Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Annnnd this one made me think of every vet I've ever known - you'll recognize the part.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
BUFFs....don’t go to war without them.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The old man spent about 6 years flying those puppies.

Love them planes...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, that guy's talker sure ain't broke. When I ever hear about B-52's it isn't a US bomber that comes to mind. It's the mixed drink that my Duluth buddies introduced us to called the B-52. Now more affectionately known in our group as the "Minnesota Malted". Holy smokes, talk about one that goes down easily and then lights out, it's the B-52.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're bad mofos. It's amazing when you consider how long the B-52 has persisted.

I've always thought they look like they fly in a slight nose-down attitude.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I always thought The B-52s were a party rock band from my misspent youth.

Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
BUFFs....don’t go to war without them.

Nothing inspires quite like an Arc Light mission.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Air Force seemed determined that I'd fly B-52s. Tried to assign me to them twice. I managed to wriggle free both times, but had to separate from active duty the second time to avoid being a Buff INSTRUCTOR pilot. Can you imagine the horror of that?

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Seafire
The old man spent about 6 years flying those puppies.

Love them planes...

I worked across the flightline from them things for a few years.. Actually felt sorry for the ground crews, took them three times longer to generate them to get ready for an ORI than a tanker.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My daughter is with the 5th Bomb Wing out of Minot, ND. She recently returned from Al Udied Qatar and she brought me a certified flag with certificate from the B-52 crew who flew it over Afghanistan. Very cool.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Teal: I have been a B-52 "super-fan" since the first time I went with my family to watch one take off from Boeing Field (south Seattle) back in 1952.
We were banned from having cameras or taking pictures of them but I will never forget the roar and the smoke (they were very "smokey" back then - I don't know why?) as they took off.
I was born and raised just over the small ridge from where the B-52's were made and first flown from.
I was 7 years old when they first flew. I always ran out of my house when I would hear the distinctive sound of the B-52's taking off and watch them in awe.
Decades later we found out why we could NOT photograph them initially - the "wheel trucks" (landing gear) could "angle" at up to 17 degrees to keep the wings directly into the wind when taking off - thus providing more lift less drag. And the military folks did not want the "rooskies" to have that knowledge/technology.
Long live the B-52 - and the Boeing Company a fine American outfit!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I always thought The B-52s were a party rock band from my misspent youth.

Okay so...you look at this back in context of the 70's and try to believe this isn't some group from West Germany.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Teal: I have been a B-52 "super-fan" since the first time I went with my family to watch one take off from Boeing Field (south Seattle) back in 1952.
We were banned from having cameras or taking pictures of them but I will never forget the roar and the smoke (they were very "smokey" back then - I don't know why?) as they took off.
I was born and raised just over the small ridge from where the B-52's were made and first flown from.
I was 7 years old when they first flew. I always ran out of my house when I would hear the distinctive sound of the B-52's taking off and watch them in awe.
Decades later we found out why we could NOT photograph them initially - the "wheel trucks" (landing gear) could "angle" at up to 17 degrees to keep the wings directly into the wind when taking off - thus providing more lift less drag. And the military folks did not want the "rooskies" to have that knowledge/technology.
Long live the B-52 - and the Boeing Company a fine American outfit!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

J-57s produces a lot of smoke. Add water injection for takeoff made them a lot worse.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is that the plane that flew out of Carswell in Ft. Worth?

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
In the 1970's the BUFFs stationed at Blytheville AFB would make low level runs across the Arkansas rice fields. Entertaining especially when duck hunting and focused on the birds working the hole and then a few BUFF decide to make a low pass. Seemed like they would just barely clear the tree line; sure as hell sounded like it.

I often wondered how many ducks they would suck through their engines. smile

Last edited by STRSWilson; 11/24/21.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Carswell AFB had BUFFs stationed there...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Carswell AFB had BUFFs stationed there...

Thought so, they would stage up over Benbrook Lake to refuel sometimes, if it was a night sorte, they would shake you out of bed.

First time I was there for that I was putting up a building across 820 from the base, scared the fooie out of me when I looked up and could actually see the guy's face through the window of the plane.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The B-52 autopilot system I worked on for several years had two "power steering" modes- - - - -air refuel and low level. Transducers in the control yokes sent signals to the autopilot servo motors, which assisted the pilot's control inputs. Air refuel was a smooth, gradual power boost. Low level could break the wings or tail off unless the accelerometers in the airframe kicked in to limit the output. That was used to sneak up on a target at extremely low altitude and hide in the ground clutter that kept radar signals from seeing them. A hotdog pilot could make that big MF'er do some impressive stuff!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

342 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 31 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,002
Posts18,481,273
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.