Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by DrDeath
I don’t think that was marketed as an African model…. Do you have the code on the box label ????

I had to go to my storage space to find the box and it's listed as a HM77RS model #37101. It definitely looks like the compact magnums in .308 although the internet pics show the rear sight like my 9.3 instead of a Williams looking rear sight like mine has.

When I bought it Whittakers had it listed as an African though and it popped up since I was looking for a 6.5x55 African at the time.

It makes sense that it would be a RCM because all of the Africans I've seen had really good to great wood on them and mine certainly doesn't.

HR IC

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

....24hourcampfire, a great place for Alaskans to be schooled on what works and what doesnt.

This.

I'm tracking closely!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have owned Ruger 77s for over 40 years, got my first 1 from the Fort Riley Outdoor Recreation Center in 1981, a 77R in 7x57. It wasn't a great shooter, as it had a long throat for 175 grain bullets. I donated it to a mission in Burundi, Rwanda, or Malawi, can't remember which, sometime in the1990s.

Since that first 77, I've owned a couple dozen of them and with one exception, they have been adequate shooters. I like the RSI style and have them in 243, 6MM Rem, 250-3000, 25 Souper, 257 Bob, 260, 6.5x55, 270, 7x57, 308, and 358. Although the RSIs will never have the balance and feel of a Husqvarna with a Mannlicher-style stock, they are as good or better than any of the Mannlicher-style stocked rifles cataloged by Mossberg, Remington, or Winchester.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The 77 always seems to come up in these type of discussions. Same dislikes and likes. Heavy, investment blah blah, Accurate enough, bad barrels, etc…. Working mans gun, accurate, sleepers, so on and so. Seems like everyone has had a bad one if you have had enough. I’ve only seen one that wouldn’t shoot. Compact mkII in 7mm-08 when I was younger.

I’ve owned enough to know a few tricks that might have tightened it up.

I’ll go ahead and post what I know up. Most folks will already know these but I think this is a good time to share. Isn’t that why we are here?

Stop reading here and PM me if your Ruger is a price of junk and you want to mail her to me because it’s a lost cause.

1. Torque the action screws in order. front lug screw gorilla tight, rear trigger guard monkey tight and middle just enough to hold it firm and allow the floor plate to latch without being rattly.
2. Relieve the box magazine contact points where the trigger guard and floor plate hinge meet. Should have the ability to move just freely and not bind when action it torqued. (See step 1)
3. Most Ruger triggers are adequate when it comes to weight and creep except the MKII. (Now notice I said adequate, no need to argue over it. There are better factory triggers) All have creep and over travel that will drive you crazy when compared to other triggers but can be corrected with trigger job or new trigger. The MKII needs some serious stone work to ease the weight and creep. (Maybe the root cause of a lot of inaccuracies). Easy enough for the novice with patience and directions found online.
4. I’ve never bedded or floated a Ruger so I cannot speak to that. Others can chime in on that front.
5. To reduce the weight. Stay away from the magnum contours and 25/06, buy a new lighter stock, or a set of dumbbells and bulk up a little. If a 7-9 lbs rifle knocks you out of the hunt maybe it’s time for a new hobby or life choices. Meant to be a joke. The magnum contoured barreled guns and 25-06 are tanks!
6. Sell them to me a severely discounted rate since, you know, the above issues.

My love for the Ruger 77 came from my first 2 and my uncle. A Stainless MKII 308. Given to me by my father in 2001 (my first bolt gun), a m77 tanger in 30-06 given to me by my father in law, and a 25-06 skeleton that I obsessed over ever since my uncle showed me his in the 90s. I still own all three, plus a Hawkeye Blue and laminate 264, and a stainless mkII 300 wsm.

Cheers all! And long live the Ruger M77!

Last edited by Butler247; 11/30/21.

The .270 is the greatest hunting catridge ever designed. To dispute this fact is to only justify our loonieism in owning and hunting with inferior cartridges.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Yep I love 77's, mostly since my first centerfire hunting rifle is a MkII stainless boat paddle 30-06 I got from a going out of business farm and ranch store in '95 for about $300.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Maybe for old times I'll throw her back in the boat paddle and load some ammo to 300 Savage speeds and whack some hogs at the campfire hog hunt.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

The main thing to look out for with the original Model 77's is that they were made during Ruger's cheap barrel period, you could get a good one or it could be total crap.* Sometime around the 90's Ruger began producing their own barrels which were and still are good to very good.

All this IIRC.

You can also add to this the fact that many were prone to cracking the stock in the wrist area, just behind the tang. I have a .358 Win 77 tang safety that's gone thru 2 wood stocks. Next stock will be a composite - when/if I find one.

Did you bed both of them and relieve around the tang? I never shoot a Ruger 77 without bedding it first

First stock - No, box, stock factory gun. Second stock - Yes, bedded, area around the tang relieved and a cross-bolt put in between the recoil lug and mag well.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Mine shoots and functions great. Trigger was reworked by a gunsmith that was a self proclaimed “Ruger guy”. Breaks like glass at just under 3#s. My goal is to get it closer to 7 lbs rather than crowding 10 lbs. I’m thinking a new stock and less scope and mounts will get me right where I want to be. Even though mine has a B or magnum ish contour barrel it also has a .358 hole in it to make up the difference. I never had a Ruger be it a bolt or single shot that wouldn’t shoot. And that’s close to twenty that I’ve had so far.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have the original tang safety, MKII`s and Hawkeye Rugers.
I like them all, especially the RSI`s.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 35; 12/01/21.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Have 2 tang safety 77’s a standard 30-06 and a varmint 22-250. Both are accurate and dependable as can be. Also have a 77 GSR in .308. Like them all

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
OP, regarding "issues" with tang safety m77s, one could consider accuracy potential, or lack thereof. In the early years ruger used both Douglas and, I believe, Wilson barrels. The 1974 Tanger I owned shot fine and I have no idea who made the barrel. I've heard and read about poor quality wilson barrels, but have never met anyone who owned a m77 that couldn't make it shoot sufficiently for hunting.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 35
I have the original tang safety, MKII`s and Hawkeye Rugers.
I like them all, especially the RSI`s.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Love those RSI's!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
What would a M77 RL tang safety 308 go for now a days??

35 Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular

Here`s one that just sold.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/914868941

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by 35

Sweet baby Jesus. I only have one RL, a 257 Roberts. I have a couple of RSI's and one of the will be buried with me.

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 35

Thanks. Mine has the sights.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

....24hourcampfire, a great place for Alaskans to be schooled on what works and what doesnt.

This.

I'm tracking closely!

Mainer, snowflakes will try to getch your mind right no matter what. i was warned 6 months ago my sxs would be “hard” on “scopes”, even though I’ve been riding quads with rifles for over 30 years, and for a fact rode more miles in a year with a rifle on the front rack than the crybaby has rode in his life…. But, “he told me!!!”

Fuuckin place is actually amazing the do nothingness of the do nothing “read all about it crowd “!!! Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 35

Thanks. Mine has the sights.

Is it the 18-1/2" barrel with sights? Possibly an RLS Carbine?

D
DrDeath Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yes

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The best shooting Ruger I’ve had, I ordered new for a friend who was a merchant marine. I had a FFL then, 1977 or ‘78. It was a heavy barrel 280. The deer loads I loaded for him shot about 1/2” at 100 yards. His first day back was first day of deer season.

I have had a few Rugers since, 22-250, 7mm Rm, 44 Mag’s, Mini-14’s, 416 Rigby and others I probably forgot. I’ve worked with the 7mm RM (a tanger) the most, new trigger and aftermarket stock. It will shoot ~ 1 MOA with one load I’ve tried.
I have not given up on Rugers as I am buying one on the fire now - a Ruger #1 in 280. But none have shot as well as that first 280.
I just sold two Rugers, now I’m down to that 7mm RM and the future #1.
I don’t know what to do with that 7mm. Thinking rebarreling to 358 Norma.

As far as which model bolt I like better, it’s pretty much a toss leaning to the tang safety model.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hate the dinky little safety on the MK II / Hawkeye. Only had one but that was enough. Had a big fast jump between full safe and mid position, enough that it would get ahead of my thumb. Felt like it went all the way to fire. Missed a couple of quick shots because I just couldn’t get used to it. A bigger lever easier to maintain thumb contact with and I’d still have that 6 1/2 mm Sveed. In a perfect world Ruger would have gone to controlled feed and turned the tang safety into a 3 position. 2 positions with safe locking the bolt would be best but way too much to ask these days.

Tangers in 7x57 and .270 Wingay still live here and will stay in the family many years I hope.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 12 of 18 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

508 members (219DW, 1936M71, 1badf350, 222Sako, 1234, 10Glocks, 47 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,437
Posts18,489,382
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.