Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
About 3 inches.

I have completely taken apart several elk and two moose with blades that size with zero issue. Anything bigger just gets in the way, kind of like my dong but in a bad way.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Around 3", folder.

Always heard the BS brag about using some tiny pocket knife.

One night I gutted a roadkill, in a ditch, with a little 2" Buck folder.
It was razor sharp, but I really missed having a bit more blade.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am in the 3-4" camp. I prefer fixed blades. Have used some folders, but always go back to fixed.

Ingram, Buck, Gerber, Helle, Schrade to name a few.

Arcus Venator
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
~3” is good for me.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by T_Inman
About 3 inches.

I have completely taken apart several elk and two moose with blades that size with zero issue. Anything bigger just gets in the way, kind of like my dong but in a bad way.

Yep, a long blade and a long dong can result in terrible mishaps ...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was thinking about this thread on Saturday field dressing my buck with my left arm buried up to the elbow with a handful of heart and lungs and my right arm up there with a sharp 3" folder and I didn't want any more blade length than what I had. Opening that belly skin, I was using only the first quarter of an inch of that drop point blade. Scalpels aren't very long for a reason. It's knowing how and where to cut, not how deep.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Windfall
I was thinking about this thread on Saturday field dressing my buck with my left arm buried up to the elbow with a handful of heart and lungs and my right arm up there with a sharp 3" folder and I didn't want any more blade length than what I had. Opening that belly skin, I was using only the first quarter of an inch of that drop point blade. Scalpels aren't very long for a reason. It's knowing how and where to cut, not how deep.

Exactly!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
For my knife I like 3.5-4" but have started using Havalon Scalpels and have had good luck. I still carry my knife, but those scalpels make it much easier for me.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About 3" is my ideal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whatever a havalon blade measures.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like 3-4 inch blades with most that I've used being closer to 3 inches than 4. I've processed many animals with folders, but have been enjoying fixed blades more recently. Folders work fine, but fixed blades are a lot easier to clean up after use.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve used those Victornox pairing knives for years…. The hardware store here sells them dirt cheap…. I have them laying around everywhere. Also carry a case medium trapper in my pocket everyday. I’ve done elk, deer, hogs, turkeys, whatever….. only time I go larger is when I’m actually cutting steaks and butchering at home, then I’ll go to something like a 8” boning knife.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This, as well as a shorter blade is just easier for me to steer. The longest I’ve use on big game was a 4 1/2” blade and it felt like I was using a machete.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
This, as well as a shorter blade is just easier for me to steer. The longest I’ve use on big game was a 4 1/2” blade and it felt like I was using a machete.

This is a 60's era Randall 3-6 held in my right hand and I have no issues at all when using it inside a carcase cavity, and depending on the intended work I find the extra edge length useful. But I should also mention that I tend to use all the blade when working.

Is this size the do all and end all...no, but it is useful on occasion.

[Linked Image]

Added...besides which, eating mangoes with a havalon would seriously suck.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by JSTUART; 11/27/21.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I’ll second jstuart except I use a Randall 3-5. Blade shape and length work amazingly well. To date I have gutted 7 or 8 deer with it on the factory edge. Found dad an old 7-4 that works nearly as well.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
3-4 inch blades, but the Best knife was posted by Hunts a Gerber, lite razor knife with the hooked carpet blade in it makes. Great guy hook, iv made up several and have given them to hunting buddy's. Ad gifts!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seeing TSTUART's posted pictures above I know makes cutting toward one's own body parts look worse than it was from the photo op especially for a guy familiar enough with knives to own a Randall. I know, we all do it.

My favorite cutting story was when I was up in Canada in the fish cleaning house with another guy from another camp cleaning our fish. The camp owner happened to walk in for something and saw the guy cutting toward himself and proceeded to dress the guy up and down about safety proper cutting procedures. When he was done the guy said that how he did it seemed to work well enough at work. Oh, yeah the camp owner said, what do you do? "I'm the pathologist for the city of Denver."
"Oh", quick exit for the camp owner. He must have figured that the guy was qualified to fillet a walleye. smile

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Whatever the blade length is on my BuckLite 422s.

I just measured one, 3" total.

Used to be a fixed blade guy until a client gave me a orange handled Bucklite while guiding archery. Didn't think much of it but decided my daypack was getting too heavy and started looking for ways to lighten the load. I tried it a month later in rifle season, promptly dropped it into 18+ inches of fresh powder when dressing an elk. Boy did I appreciate that goofy orange handle.

The 422's from the 80's and early 90's sharpen easily for me and hold a decent edge. I now own 5 of them. When I broke the tip on one extracting the ivorys from a client's elk I about cried. Sent it to Buck with a note telling them what I did to it and I'll be darned it came back a few weeks later with a new blade. No charge.

I also have two of those 422's and a smaller version[402?] for birds and trout. One other is a A.G. Russel lockback with 2.75" droppoint with some great Japanese steel. All I've ever really needed.

Edit: Had to look at my Russel; it's 2-3/8th" blade and says Rogers, Ark, USA. Whew!

Last edited by rifletom; 11/27/21.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I like about 3", length of forefinger. A longer blade when boning to pack out would make a neater faster job, but it's not worth packing more 'stuff'. My breaking knife for beef is a full foot of blade, it's like training wheels for the amateur home butcher. Nice uniformity.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The Puma folder is what I use for field dressing since 1992, the Marttiini belt knife also goes with me for field dressing moose as well.
The main blade on the Puma is 3 1/4", the Marttiini is 5"
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 53 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,346
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.