Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I've never had to rely on 'heft and spine' on a knife used to break down critters..... Give me a sharp fugging edge, every time tho......

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I've never had to rely on 'heft and spine' on a knife used to break down critters..... Give me a sharp fugging edge, every time tho......

A sharp edge is expected in any knife but different horses for courses IMO. I want a long sharp fillet knife with about zero belly and plenty of flex, a good boning knife is similar in profile and sharp but shorter and with more spine and less flex. For a skinning knife I like lots of belly little or no flex, upswept blade and high carbon for quick touch ups. Corrosion resistance isn’t much of an issue because it’s not carried and isn’t made to be pretty. A fillet knife long slender little spine. Hunting knife shorter with more belly and a lot of spine.

If a knife only needed to be sharp one sharp knife would cover everything needed. one blade length, steel type, and blade profile is all that we would own for any and all purposes.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by hardway
I’ve used those Victornox pairing knives for years…. The hardware store here sells them dirt cheap…. I have them laying around everywhere.

+1.

A member here turned me onto them. It's amazing how much they'll do, and how well. I've since passed this tip onto several others, who've all been similarly impressed.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Lil Dumplin' perfection...

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It’s had to find a better Fixed blade or folding blade knife for the value of these two. IMHO. One Buck and Cutco.

Attached Images
Last edited by 1100RemingtonMan; 12/12/21.
IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
4" with shallow belly drop point, so I can ream the bung from both outside and inside. Been using a Grohmann #1 (in the middle) the last few years and very pleased with it so far. #3 on the bottom, also works very well.

[Linked Image]

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by hardway
I’ve used those Victornox pairing knives for years…. The hardware store here sells them dirt cheap…. I have them laying around everywhere.

+1.

A member here turned me onto them. It's amazing how much they'll do, and how well. I've since passed this tip onto several others, who've all been similarly impressed.

FC

Those little Vicky Victorianox knives are the bee's knees!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
3.25 inch Mini Skinner by Von Gruff. But more often than not I'm using a 4 inch $15 Mora....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
For a fixed Blade, not shorter than 5'', Not longer than 5.5''. Anything Longer than than that can get hard to control. 4-5 inches is my sweet spot for a fixed blade.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like the suggestion of something about the length of one's index finger. Maybe the middle finger for skinning.

1Minute
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a 3' skinner, , a Javalon,and a 5 "knife in my pack. Each has a specific use when processing an elk in the field as does each knife when I am butchering at home. I have never found one knife to do it all. My belt knife,which is a sheath, is a 6" small K-Bar Marine survival knife with a stout heavy blade.This is for when I am packing a string, whether it is one mule or four. When a wreck happens, and everyone has one sooner or late, I want a knife that won't break when you need it the most.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Dam! I like that little dumpling!!! I like an old Gerber, the ones with the armour hide handle and thin thin blade. Only one I still have is a flayer (looks like a dam spoon) well it used to, skinned so many beaver that it's wore down pretty well. It's actually better now. Had a little pixie for muskrats but it's up the trappline somewhere with a few others. Now I have so many knives I don't know which one to use, not expensive ones. I make 1to2 knives a year just to try different shapes. No they aren't like Godogs knives. Hard to make things perfect when you only make a couple a year. Plus I'm impatient and usually build the knife in one day, thank krist for 5min epoxy. Length between 3 1/2 to 4in. Right now this pair have 3-5/8 inch blades and kind of a rising drop point similar to a Russ Kommer design and a bull nose skinner. Trouble is I don't trap anymore so I'll have to dream up another excuse to play. Bill out. 👣🐾👣🐾🇨🇦.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
ConditionYellow: I prefer 3 1/2" to 4 1/2" and the strength of Buck blades!
Long live Buck Knife Corporation - a fine American company.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yes sir +1

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like a the weight of a sturdy, longer knife for some things, but overall, a 3-4-inch blade will do it all.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
Originally Posted by rickt300
I have big hands and like a longer blade. A Buck 119, the Schrade 153UH. 5 to 6 inch blades work for me. Sharp is the most important aspect. I wear one of these all the time. Just about wore out the second one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If I am fishing this knife is easier to clean fish with.

For a pocket knife I like this style, have worn out several of them. Wish they still made them with the hole.

Rick, I can tell you are from Texas! I have/or had those same knives! smile

I like Buck knives too. Had this one almost 50 years!

Last edited by hanco; 01/12/22.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,243 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,530
Posts18,472,708
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.