Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#16670481 11/30/21
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So, the last few years I've come to realize that my shoulder, despite reconstruction, just isn't up to the practice I think is needed to be ethical. My doctor gave me a crossbow permit years ago after the surgery, but I've resisted.

Well, I decided that it's probably time and headed over to Lancaster to browse crossbows.

Now I realize that I know absolutely nothing about them, and think it's time to get some opinions/advice from people that have hunted with them.

I hunt woods. Long shots would be 50 yards, and I've never shot a Deer with a bow past 30.

I'm guessing I don't need a 4k crossbow any more than I needed a 4k rifle to kill deer, but I also don't want something louder than an AC/DC concert in 1981.

Oh 24HC, enlighten me.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Dead nuts accurate. Incredible power. Can de-cock it with out having a shooting bale with you in your truck.

https://www.tenpointcrossbows.com/product/vengent-s440/

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by OldHat
Dead nuts accurate. Incredible power. Can de-cock it with out having a shooting bale with you in your truck.

See, this is the kind of thing that never would have occurred to me until AFTER I bought one that I couldn't de-cock.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What Old hat said. Excellent choice of crossbow.

I picked mine up from Midwayusa when they were on sale for 999.99$ plus shipping.

A deadly machine.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I should have mentioned about the scope which is graduated and illuminated if you need that early and late. I need that function.

IC B2

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Houston_2
I should have mentioned about the scope which is graduated and illuminated if you need that early and late. I need that function.

So, the "package" scopes are fine? No need to upgrade?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Last thing that can’t be stressed hard enough,,,,use the right bolts.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by goalie

I really like mine.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N

Hey Goalie -
I am in the same boat as you (jacked shoulder). I got a crossbow permit in August, and hunted with a Tenpoint Viper S400 this season (one step under the Vengent S440). Yes, the package scope is fine. I see you are in MN too...I bought my rig from A1 Archery in Hudson, WI so if you are anywhere near the Twin Cities I'd suggest checking them out. Since crossbows are legal in WI for everyone, they have a ton of them in stock you can try. good luck

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
IMO, some package scopes are fine, some are garbage.

I would recommend staying away from the super fast, super narrow crossbows. That will help with string and limb life.

Compound crossbows tend to be faster (on the whole), but are also a bit more troublesome to maintain. For that reason, many folks prefer the simplicity of recurve crossbows such as Excalibur.

Now is a good time to check out good, used bows. Good ones can be found for well under 1K.

IC B3

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
👍

I'm the kinda guy that put Trijicon 1-4 on my single shot 30-30 for the early/late shots. 🤣

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Northerner

Hey Goalie -
I am in the same boat as you (jacked shoulder). I got a crossbow permit in August, and hunted with a Tenpoint Viper S400 this season (one step under the Vengent S440). Yes, the package scope is fine. I see you are in MN too...I bought my rig from A1 Archery in Hudson, WI so if you are anywhere near the Twin Cities I'd suggest checking them out. Since crossbows are legal in WI for everyone, they have a ton of them in stock you can try. good luck

Thanks!!!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A torn left rotator cuff forced me to go to a crossbow or quit bowhunting - I’ve had about 6 different crossbows since.

My favorite was a 327 FPS Mission Dagger that I regret selling to my B-I-L, my two now shoot 372 and 396 FPS.

However, I think a slower shooting crossbow will last longer - I’ve taken 2 elk with vertical bows that probably didn’t reach 270 FPS - go figure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ravin R10 de-cock and have a good scope that’s graduated, not illuminated.

The biggest problem people have with them all is letting a limb hit a tree or blind when fired. Not good, especially with recurves.

I’ve never hunted one but my 10 year old son has, the R10 is very accurate and not a bad price. I think they’re all a lot louder than a compound, so on a whitetail I think 40 yards is pushing it, even tho it’ll be accurate a lot further.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

See, this is the kind of thing that never would have occurred to me until AFTER I bought one that I couldn't de-cock.
All the same can be said for the Center Point Sniper 370 plus it's quiet, fast and it costs 300 Bucks. Just smoked a buck and a doe with mine a couple weeks ago.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Blackheart

All the same can be said for the Center Point Sniper 370 plus it's quiet, fast and it costs 300 Bucks. Just smoked a buck and a doe with mine a couple weeks ago.

I had a Centerpoint just like yours. They are good machines.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I resisted for years and finally decided to go over to the dark side and bought a Ten Point Viper S400 mainly for the easy cocking and de-cocking. The scope is great with green/ red illuminated reticles and is blisteringly fast and very accurate. All crossbows make some noise but the Viper's bolt is down range so fast it shouldn't matter within a 50 yard shot limit.

living the good life every day
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I take that back, the R10 is illuminated red or green.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot an Excalibur Micro 360. I like the Excalibur's for their recurve style and simplicity for maintenance. I also like the compact style of the Micro line for enclosed blinds. Lots of good choices out there these days. Just see what fits best for your application.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/excalibur-micro-360-td-crossbow-package?rrec=true

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Crossbow????

What a bunch of scumbillies

Break out the Grandpa’s Deer Suckers

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 59 invisible), 2,314 guests, and 1,188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,943
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.