Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by CBB
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
I hate all the special seasons. Deer season should either be open or closed.

No doubt...you want to use a bow, crossbow, ML, rifle...your choice all during the same season.

Or let the rifle shooters have the rut and next year the bow shooters have it...That would have the bow crew crying river tears...."But, but, but..." They are essentially a bunch of whiners, with a lobby, who only want it their way....

Seems your the only one biotching......
Quit crying or go buy a bow. Jesus Christ man....

Boohoo archery hunter kill 40% of bucks...
Boohoo archery hunters get 6 weeks
Boohoo I want to gun hunt the rut..
Boohoo I don't have a voice...

Go hunt or stfu

What is wrong with one season, use anything? How about only blacks and asians are allowed to hunt during the rut? We need to lobby more to have inner city people the chance to hunt and feed their families. We should bus loads of blacks into rural PA for a 2 week, black only hunt.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by CBB
Originally Posted by LongSpurHunter
I hate all the special seasons. Deer season should either be open or closed.

No doubt...you want to use a bow, crossbow, ML, rifle...your choice all during the same season.

Or let the rifle shooters have the rut and next year the bow shooters have it...That would have the bow crew crying river tears...."But, but, but..." They are essentially a bunch of whiners, with a lobby, who only want it their way....

Seems your the only one biotching......
Quit crying or go buy a bow. Jesus Christ man....

Boohoo archery hunter kill 40% of bucks...
Boohoo archery hunters get 6 weeks
Boohoo I want to gun hunt the rut..
Boohoo I don't have a voice...

Go hunt or stfu

Only one here, but not out there....many are fed up with the bow hunters having their ass kissed....

Friend says the same...get a crossbow...Ah there was another concession..Another friend bought one, got it sighted in about 30 minutes. Now checks it for another 30 minuters each year and has killed a Buck with it the last three years...Now tell me how hard archery has become? It's a joke....

Remember, it started with a week season for traditional bows....That was before the BH got the manufactures lobbying and spending cash on the GC and lawmakers...

Last edited by battue; 11/26/21.

laissez les bons temps rouler
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by gitem_12
we hava dusting of it here. enough to cover the top of the ground. ill be in a tower blind with my 5 year old in the morning

My camp is on Denton Hill Potter County and we have over 3 inches and it's still snowing, right now we are at 22 degrees. Years ago the low temperatures never bothered me but this year I added my little buddy heater to the raised blind.

Hoping to take another buck with the old Savage model 99, IMHO the 300 SAV is perfect for the short shots in my food plots.

Last edited by old_willys; 11/26/21.

Ted
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I’ll be toting a custom Ruger No. 3 9.3x62 to dad’s old stand here shortly, with two of his grandsons, my boy and a nephew. Never done this with two kids before, should be interesting…

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I’ll be toting a custom Ruger No. 3 9.3x62 to dad’s old stand here shortly, with two of his grandsons, my boy and a nephew. Never done this with two kids before, should be interesting…

BTDT.... it is interesting!
I used to set my kids each up to watch different direction. I would be centered if possible. Should be good memories made with the kids, that's what it's all about!

Hunt...
IC B2

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by gitem_12
we hava dusting of it here. enough to cover the top of the ground. ill be in a tower blind with my 5 year old in the morning

My camp is on Denton Hill Potter County and we have over 3 inches and it's still snowing, right now we are at 22 degrees. Years ago the low temperatures never bothered me but this year I added my little buddy heater to the raised blind.

Hoping to take another buck with the old Savage model 99, IMHO the 300 SAV is perfect for the short shots in my food plots.

Howdy neighbor! I’m truck camping up on Sunken Branch ATV parking lot. I saw a real good one this morning on the state forest but he got the drop on me. He was harassing does in a clear cut so hopefully he’ll be there in the morning.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well, what did you see.

Work makes my opener to be Monday…and the rest of the season.👍🏻

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't see a thing but my Son shot a large Elk County doe this morning with his model 88 Winchester 308. We did see a Bear driving out

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Elk County and you saw zero. Damn shame.
And I know you are one of the ones out there.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Ends up my BIL made it and I just had my kid. We saw 10 deer total, including two spikes, a fork, a five point, and a little seven point. The kid passed all of them up, hoping for something bigger and wanting his younger cousin to have a chance at them. Crawford County.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great PA opener for me.

It took all day but I connected with this 7 point late in the day..

][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][/url]

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by ROMAC
Great PA opener for me.

Congrats….nice Buck!!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ROMAC
Great PA opener for me.

Congrats!

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Congrats on the buck

Dad was thw only one to see a shooter but couldn't get a shot.
Gage saw 7 does waiting on a buck..
Konnor saw 5 does... I know a buck walked past him but he said he was sleeping.. lmao!
Caitlin and I saw 7. One was a forkie but couldn't put brows on it.

Heading back out for day 2 shortly

Hunt...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats Romac!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Elk County and you saw zero. Damn shame.
And I know you are one of the ones out there.

Yeah I stayed out in the Woods all day. Not seeing so much as a tail makes for a long day

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
GC needs to thin the herd down some more…you guys are seeing way too many.

Quickest way is to kill the Does off. Buy every tag they sell and do your best to cut it.

A few years back a warden told me the goal was for the average hunter to tag a Buck every 5 years on average. That should even PO the crossbow crowd. And that is hard to do.

(The GC power heads wouldn’t come out of their house if they pulled this on those boys now long gone. Today we are more civilized….or is it complacent????)

One Bud saw 7 and the Amish shot 4 Does. Another 7 also on his farm. All Does. He didn’t kill one. Someone needs to talk with him about Deer management.

Long live the Pa Deer tradition….
Sheeese!!!!!

Last edited by battue; 11/28/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My boy got a nice 8 andi saw about 20 deer.
Conditions were perfect here.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nice one Romac!

Battue I do agree with much of what you say but personally I like it this way - it’s more like hunting than shooting. I can “still hunt” areas that are more remote (remote to most hunters today is no more than 1/2 mile from transport😁) and see no other hunters and have killed some large racked bucks in recent years in gun season…..and at least in Forest, Elk and Warren counties there are plenty of deer.

Now upland birds is a whole other story🥴

PennDog

Last edited by PennDog; 11/28/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Penn Dog..

And I know pretty much what you are referring to...and would prefer to hunt the same way as you...Although the years have cramped my style a little as far as the getting them out is concerned. Still can do it, but it takes longer.

And if you want to find Bigger Bucks, then an area with fewer Does is often the key....and in many cases a 1/2 mile off the road is further than they are willing to go.

That being said...there has to be a compromise. We can't expect to bring around future generations of hunters, if they go into the wood and see none or only a few. The young need a fire and seeing something and thinking they have a chance is one of the igniters.

My blame with the GC is they have gone too far with herd reduction, along with allowing almost 50% of the Bucks to be shot off by the time rifle season comes around.

Yet the blame lies with us...Most every Doe tag is sold, and most try to fill at least one or two..It would only take a couple years of the hunters holding off on Doe tags and the turn around would be quick.

And yes, another ot their management failures has been for years to sit on their ass and watch Pa Bird hunting go into the trash....

And they brag about bringing in Eagles and Fishers...as mentioned they don't eat fish..... "Fishers are carnivorous, feeding primarily on small and mid- sized mammals such as snowshoe hares, squirrels, mountain beavers, mice and birds. They also eat other foods, including insects, fruit, fungi and winter- kill deer and elk."

Hunters buy a license to hunt, not to have their money spent on making Pa more Eagle friendly..Let the birders and leaf peepers do that if it is so important....Makes you wonder whose side they are on.

Addition: With the Eagle cams, individuals can comment and oooh and ahhh about what they seeing as the eggs hatch...I made the comment that hunters dollars are the reason they can watch live...You would have thought I dropped the F bomb in church...Hunters are getting absolutely zero return on the money being spent on Eagles. Either in good publicity or an increase in fish and what we hunt.

Last edited by battue; 11/28/21.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (12344mag, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,104
Posts18,502,134
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.