Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Heym06
USAA for banking, savings and such. Been with the local Credit since 1974, checking and Pathfinder accounts for the grand children's college accounts! Car, boat and misc. loans over the years. Most usually they have lower interest rates than banks. YMMV

I've used USAA since 1993. they will Ph-uCK you if they can, ESPECIALLY in the insurance world. I have other banks and Credit unions for some other things. Lately USAA insurance customer service has started to suck monkey nutz. they used to care, now they don't.

rant over.

Last edited by strikeu; 12/02/21.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Who TF is still writing checks?

I've been using credit union(s) since I left the banking industry in '03. I was the "suit" that had to kiss all the old scrapers asses when they came in bitching about fees, interest rates, etc. like they were members of the J.P. Morgan family. They all wanted a better deal than everyone else for their chump change accounts and didn't like it when I told them I couldn't give them a deal different than anybody else walking in the door.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Yeah,

this is a rural farming/ranching community.

They know small accounts quite well, very familiar with them.

Hippies stand out in a rural community!🤣

The next day I closed our other banks accounts.
But they didn't miss us. Several grand in checking, and cashing checks
is all our business. We don't borrow, or buy products from a bank.

Dillion,

First,

as I had to tell folks long ago...................... I ain't a hippie.Hippies are non violent. Piss me off enough and I'll have to do some ass whoopin' grin

Second,

re: "But they didn't miss us".............................................

Anheuser-Busch didn't miss me when I quit drinkin' all that Budweiser I used to drink either....................................................Bastids. laugh

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hillestadj
BUT, as an adult why the fugg are you running around with less than $1500 in a checking account?

Sometimes it's many times that much, and sometimes it's less. Having to worry about it never dipping below that amount at any point in the month isn't something I want to add to my list of things to think about when an alternative exists.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Ya not much for float anymore. The way they they all make money is fees. Brokerage is the same way.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Been with my CU for 42 years, free checking w/ no min. balance, 2 free Money Orders per month.
My checking account is through their Money Market program, better interest than just the plain old checking and savings account. Interest increased with you balance, basic, 10K, 50K and 100K. not at the top but getting close. :>)
Small home town CU, 3 branches, but aligned with two other CU's in town, so I can deposit, withdraw or cash a check at anyone.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't believe you are "..Hippy Type Pinko [bleep]",
be surprised if you
"...got a Commie Flag, tacked up on the wall inside of your garage."

But you do have a look!😁

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Don't believe you are "..Hippy Type Pinko [bleep]",
be surprised if you
"...got a Commie Flag, tacked up on the wall inside of your garage."

But you do have a look!😁

Nope, not even a Grateful Dead poster.

I've got a San Diego Gulls banner in the computer room here though. And one of them old armed Apache fellas that says "Homeland Security".

But no commie flags.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Couldnt resist a little Charlie Daniels.
Damn shame he joined Roy.
We lost a good one there.
Liked him when he would "take another toke",
even more when we both aged and he became respectable!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Remember back when, you could cash a check drawn on a bank or cu for the face amount(without a fee) even though you didn't have an account there.
With today's practice can a check still be considered a negotiable instrument?

The end of democracy, and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I use the psecu credit union. Great rates free checking and they pay me for being a customer.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I knew a guy with a genius IQ. He wrote software and developed new chemical processes. He was given a Boeing fellowship.
He was always going to the credit union for money.

Then there are retarded janitors that do well saving and investing.

Forrest Gump “Stupid is as stupid does”

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by strikeu
Originally Posted by Heym06
USAA for banking, savings and such. Been with the local Credit since 1974, checking and Pathfinder accounts for the grand children's college accounts! Car, boat and misc. loans over the years. Most usually they have lower interest rates than banks. YMMV

I've used USAA since 1993. they will Ph-uCK you if they can, ESPECIALLY in the insurance world. I have other banks and Credit unions for some other things. Lately USAA insurance customer service has started to suck monkey nutz. they used to care, now they don't.

rant over.

I agree completely. Had them insure everything for 20 years. Dropped them when I actually compared prices. Then they shipped an IRA I had to another company with no notification. They started going down hill about the same time they started advertising so much.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been with my credit union since 1989. Better deal all around on fees, loans, and etc.

I do maintain a checking account with Wells Fargo, as they have the most advantageous online bill pay set-up that I have encountered.
There are no fees attached to the account as long as I direct deposit above a minimum amount monthly, and allow them to divert $1 per transaction into a savings account.
The dollars that go into the savings account add up and as there is no restriction on withdrawals, they get redirected to a brokerage account a couple of times per year. Roll them back into checking and auto pay to the B.A.

Why anyone would keep >$1500 in any bank or credit union account mystifies me. There are any number of decent paying investment vehicles that a guy can write a check from.
When the overnight deposits settle tomorrow I'll have some money in both the bank and credit union accounts. By Monday, amounts will be back to normal and decent share of those funds will be at work for me.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by johnw
Been with my credit union since 1989. Better deal all around on fees, loans, and etc.

I do maintain a checking account with Wells Fargo, as they have the most advantageous online bill pay set-up that I have encountered.
There are no fees attached to the account as long as I direct deposit above a minimum amount monthly, and allow them to divert $1 per transaction into a savings account.
The dollars that go into the savings account add up and as there is no restriction on withdrawals, they get redirected to a brokerage account a couple of times per year. Roll them back into checking and auto pay to the B.A.

Why anyone would keep >$1500 in any bank or credit union account mystifies me. There are any number of decent paying investment vehicles that a guy can write a check from.
When the overnight deposits settle tomorrow I'll have some money in both the bank and credit union accounts. By Monday, amounts will be back to normal and decent share of those funds will be at work for me.

Like a money market?

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I use 2 different credit unions. One in Alaska and one here in Idaho. In Alaska I"ve been with them for about 40 years and the one in Idaho I've been with the other one for 8-1/2 years. What I like is I can move money between them quite easily. I like that.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Care to list some of those " decent paying investment vehicles that a guy can write a check from." for those of us uninitiated in the finer points of investment accounts?

Preferably ones that don't eat up interest on small accounts in fees.

PM me if you'd like.

In it is contentment

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a conservative Fidelity total stock investment account, and there's typically 6 or $7 k of cash therein that gets rolled into stocks whenever a shinning opportunity shows itself. As dividends roll in, the cash balance begins to build up again. We can write checks on the cash balance, but have not done so.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Care to list some of those " decent paying investment vehicles that a guy can write a check from." for those of us uninitiated in the finer points of investment accounts?

PM me if you'd like.

Never used them, but I have checks from Edward Jones that would draw from my investment accounts there

In actual practice, if I need more than what I have in my credit union checking, I can and do transfer funds from various investment vehicles to my primary checking account. Generally available next business day.

If I ran across a "deal of a lifetime" that wouldn't be there tomorrow, I'd happily use a check from Edward Jones. But I tend to look at such deals with a wary eye...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H

PM me if you'd like.

Never used them, but I have checks from Edward Jones that would draw from my investment accounts there

In actual practice, if I need more than what I have in my credit union checking, I can and do transfer funds from various investment vehicles to my primary checking account. Generally available next business day.

If I ran across a "deal of a lifetime" that wouldn't be there tomorrow, I'd happily use a check from Edward Jones. But I tend to look at such deals with a wary eye...

Edward Jones usually takes three days to hit my account, through electronic transfer. That's going to my credit union. I have never used the check option from them. Something to remember.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

279 members (160user, 2500HD, 21, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 29 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,493,023
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.