Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
So if y’all do a citizen’s arrest at gunpoint on somebody that just slugged his woman companion and slugged her again when she got up, what do you when said villain laughs at you and walks away?? He just committed assault. Shootem? Wave bye-bye?? File charges for escaping custody? Or perhaps he walks toward you. Are you ready to risk everything you own or ever will as well as a prison term for someone you don’t know? Enquiring minds…….

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
“Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion. Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing. He is not a good man who, without a protest, allows wrong to be committed in his name, and with the means which he helps to supply, because he will not trouble himself to use his mind on the subject.”

John Stuart Mill

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
As I understand it Burglary.

1. he has a criminal record of past theft
2. he has a history of attempted burglary in the area and this is documented
3. he was seen trespassing in a dwelling, which even under construction, still applies to at a minimum second degree burglary
4. You can be arrested for burglary even if you didn't steal anything if it is believed you had intent,. which had been established with his criminal record and past complaints.

if you argue they didn't have immediate knowledge of a felony in that case, they had immediate knowledge of past felonies, which the escape applies in the citizen's arrest. That's why Georgia expedited changing the law afterwards.

If you are going to involve yourself in making citizens arrests, you really should brush up on the law.

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2014/title-16/chapter-7/article-1/section-16-7-1

I'm not sure where anything I said was wrong based on your link, secondly I'm going by what other lawyers are saying, Please be specific as to where you think I am wrong in my example

Let's connect some dots. The old GA citizens arrest law only allowed them to detain him if he had committed a felony. The GA law I posted shows that burglary only rises to the felony level IF

...without authority and with the intent to commit a felony or theft therein, he or she enters or remains within an occupied, unoccupied, or vacant dwelling house of another...

Let's focus on the "intent to commit a felony or theft" therein." He did not commit a theft. So for them to legally hold him, they would have had to, through some factual means, establish his intent. They obviously could not have possibly known his intent.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by shootem
So if y’all do a citizen’s arrest at gunpoint on somebody that just slugged his woman companion and slugged her again when she got up, what do you when said villain laughs at you and walks away?? He just committed assault. Shootem? Wave bye-bye?? File charges for escaping custody? Or perhaps he walks toward you. Are you ready to risk everything you own or ever will as well as a prison term for someone you don’t know? Enquiring minds…….

Good question.

I believe that just about any LEO can warn the public about involvement in domestic disputes.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JimFromTN
Originally Posted by CashisKing
this idea that rioters cannot be shot for burning and looting is certainly a media narrative.

This "riots are the voice of the unheard" horseshit is justification in their eyes to become anarchists

OF COURSE rioters can be shot... just do it quietly and from a few hundred yards.

This ain't rocket science fellas.

A sniper shooting a rioter. You would be hunted down, your picture would be posted all over the place, you would be labeled as a psycho, you would spend the rest of your life in prison, and your family would have to change their name and move out of state.

LOL...

You watch a lot of TV don't you...

News mostly

Took you for a Cagney & Lacey kinda gal...

Is that what you are into? You like your women to have adams apples?

Are you going to contribute meaningfully to the substance of this thread? If not, go fist yourself immediately.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

3. he was seen trespassing in a dwelling, which even under construction, still applies to at a minimum second degree burglary
4. You can be arrested for burglary even if you didn't steal anything if it is believed you had intent,. which had been established with his criminal record and past complaints.

if you argue they didn't have immediate knowledge of a felony in that case, they had immediate knowledge of past felonies, which the escape applies in the citizen's arrest. That's why Georgia expedited changing the law afterwards.

If you are going to involve yourself in making citizens arrests, you really should brush up on the law.

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2014/title-16/chapter-7/article-1/section-16-7-1

I'm not sure where anything I said was wrong based on your link, secondly I'm going by what other lawyers are saying, Please be specific as to where you think I am wrong in my example

Let's connect some dots. The old GA citizens arrest law only allowed them to detain him if he had committed a felony. The GA law I posted shows that burglary only rises to the felony level IF

...without authority and with the intent to commit a felony or theft therein, he or she enters or remains within an occupied, unoccupied, or vacant dwelling house of another...

Let's focus on the "intent to commit a felony or theft" therein." He did not commit a theft. So for them to legally hold him, they would have had to, through some factual means, establish his intent. They obviously could not have possibly known his intent.

you seem to be focused on the actual theft part and leaving out intent.

I've already explained intent - he has a criminal background of theft, he has been accused of theft in the area prior that day.

The crime of burglary occurs as soon as the defendant unlawfully enters or remains in the structure with the intent to commit a theft or some other crime, even if the intended crime or theft never occurs. Say a person sneaks into a home, but before he can take anything, the homeowner returns and the person flees. Despite not stealing anything, the person still committed the crime of burglary. If the theft or other crime is completed, additional charges can be filed. Intent to commit a crime can also be formed after unlawfully entering the premises. (Dillard v. State, 753 S.E.2d 772 (Ga. App. 2013).)

the challenge here is criminal trespass versus burglary. If he didn't intend to steal, then he committed a misdemeanor. But that puts the onus on the citizen to determine intent, which can be based on circumstantial evidence and their belief a felony occurred.

The reason I said he was guilty of at least second degree burglary is because of the questioning of whether a home under construction is actually a dwelling. Under Georgia law

A person commits second-degree burglary by entering or remaining in any building, structure, railroad car, watercraft, or aircraft (that is not a dwelling) with intent to commit a felony or theft.

I don't think the issue in this case is whether he committed a felony worthy of a citizens arrest. According to people in the neighborhood, he committed multiples of them in the past. The questions are, (1) did the McMichaels have first hand knowledge of - which they have video evidence of him entering a home, and 2, were they allowed to detain him for a felony committed days earlier, which according to the intent of the law when it was created, they did.

Last edited by KFWA; 12/03/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Curious. How many times did you use deadly force or been involved in a deadly force incident or even a ag assault in your life/career?

Ever appear in court and testify as a witness or as a defendant in a use of force matter? How about an inter Amal agency use of force incident?

Just curious because you keep citing different use of force laws.

Last edited by ribka; 12/03/21.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
this idea that rioters cannot be shot for burning and looting is certainly a media narrative.

This "riots are the voice of the unheard" horseshit is justification in their eyes to become anarchists

OF COURSE rioters can be shot... just do it quietly and from a few hundred yards.

This ain't rocket science fellas.

A sniper shooting a rioter. You would be hunted down, your picture would be posted all over the place, you would be labeled as a psycho, you would spend the rest of your life in prison, and your family would have to change their name and move out of state.

LOL...

You watch a lot of TV don't you...

News mostly

Took you for a Cagney & Lacey kinda gal...

Is that what you are into? You like your women to have adams apples?

Are you going to contribute meaningfully to the substance of this thread? If not, go fist yourself immediately.

You just read the last comment, don't you? Is it an ADHD thing? They have drugs for that. You should wear a flesh colored helmet in your picture.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I've already explained intent - he has a criminal background of theft, he has been accused of theft in the area prior that day.

Leaving out intent? I literally addressed it in each of those four sentences.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

If he didn't intend to steal, then he committed a misdemeanor. But that puts the onus on the citizen to determine intent,

The onus was on the McMichaels to establish intent if they were going to effect a citizens arrest. They didn't. They couldn't have. That's why the should not have tried to detain Arbery and that's why they were found guilty of false imprisonment.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

no you didn't, you literally said "He did not commit a theft"

and I explained a theft does not have to occur to commit a burglary. Theft and Burglary are not the same thing. So you are right by definition but focused on the wrong thing, He committed burglary

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
This thread rules.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shootem

You don't want to enter any situation with "citizen arrest" on your mind.

Write that down.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ribka

Curious. How many times did you use deadly force or been involved in a deadly force incident or even a ag assault in your life/career?

Ever appear in court and testify as a witness or as a defendant in a use of force matter? How about an inter Amal agency use of force incident?

Just curious because you keep citing different use of force laws.

This thread is not about me. It's about thoroughly understanding the whole of a decision to use deadly force in self-defense. If you take exception to anything I have said, use your considerable experience to substantively refute it. If not, go fist yourself with your intellectual equal Jim.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If he didn't intend to steal, then he committed a misdemeanor. But that puts the onus on the citizen to determine intent,

The onus was on the McMichaels to establish intent if they were going to effect a citizens arrest. They didn't. They couldn't have. That's why the should not have tried to detain Arbery and that's why they were found guilty of false imprisonment.

based on what other lawyers have said, they absolutely could based on the evidence and past activities. He was a known thief. They could reasonably suspect he had committed a burglary. I'll leave it at that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I wonder how many here have ever used a firearm in self-defense?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

no you didn't, you literally said "He did not commit a theft"

and I explained a theft does not have to occur to commit a burglary. Theft and Burglary are not the same thing. So you are right by definition but focused on the wrong thing, He committed burglary

Are you being purposefully obtuse? I dissected both elements. There are two ways for his actions to have risen to the felony level. One was to have committed a theft. He did not commit a theft. The other was intent. I touched in intent in four of the four quoted sentences. You said I was "leaving out intent."

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by smokepole

What relevance would that have?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

based on what other lawyers have said, they absolutely could based on the evidence and past activities. He was a known thief. They could reasonably suspect he had committed a burglary. I'll leave it at that.

Deadly force is not an option when you are arresting someone for theft.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by smokepole

What relevance would that have?

The subject is self-defense. Specifically deadly force.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

678 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 22250rem, 160user, 06hunter59, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,697 guests, and 1,511 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,478
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.