-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot through both shoulders (error on my part) of a doe whitetail last year with a 100gr ST magnum head, 410gr total arrow weight from my 70lbs bow at a chrony'd 266fps. Don't know how much (or little) that helps you but it impressed the hell out of me. Like Flinch says, blood trail was not a problem.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I may have to try slick tricks. Do they really fly like a feild point. I'm shooting a 70# bowtech Guardian with Goldtip XT's 7595's and 100 grain wac ems. I'm chronying 284fps with a 400 grain total weight.

I have friends who love wac ems, but I have lost 2 deer hit with them and neither left much for blood trails. I've only lost 3 deer in 20 years of bow hunting and 2 were with wac ems. Years ago I shot 4 blade muzzys and killed many deer with them. I just couldn't get the muzzys to fly well at higher speeds or I'd still be shooting them. If a slick trick can fly true at high speed with 4 blades then I'd definately like some.

I'll be hunting mulies in unit 54 Idaho this Thursday. My office is right next door to Mountain Archery so I may have to take a quick break and check out Slick tricks.

Bb

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'll be hunting mulies in unit 54 Idaho this Thursday.

If you get near Shoshone Basin, keep your eye out for elk. There's a herd in there that has some really nice bulls. The hunts are all draw, but they're sure fun to watch. I ran into these 2 SATELLITE bulls in there 2 years ago, near Blue Mud Springs. This 6x6 would have had a harem anywhere else, but up the ridge a few hundred yards was a monster with 21 cows. I think he was a 7x8 or even an 8x8 but I couldn't tell for sure in the timber. There were too many eyes to get close enough for a photo. I got a good count on the cows as they moved out but the bull never gave me a real good look. He was easily the biggest wild elk I've ever seen.

Dick
[Linked Image]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Rockchuck,

I'll be down near the Nevada border, I'm not sure where shoshone Basin is but there has been a nice herd of elk where I hunt too. We used to hardly ever see elk down there and now it's a surprize if we don't. I saw a nice bull 2 years ago 350+. I also saw a herd of about 75 on goose creek on the drive in. The biggest wild elk I've ever seen was actually in Sublet, Unit 56, a few years back.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 08/28/07.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I'm finally going to jump in to one of these broadhead threads. Every major broadhead (assuming undamaged) can be made to hit the same poi as your field points. I like my Slick Tricks (and Thunderheads and G5s and Wasps). I use many different broadheads from many different manufacturers. There is nothing magical about Slick Tricks (G5s, Thunderheads, Muzzies, etc., etc.). Your individual setup may shoot a specific broadhead to the same poi as your field points out of the box while the others may need to be tuned more. Try those same heads on your buddie's bow, out of the box, and they may not be the ones that shoot the same poi as his field points whereas another brand might.

As for any particular brand leaving a better blood trail, all else being equal, that is a misnomer being conveyed by someone's subjective opinion based on his/her own preferences. Larger cutting area and larger cutting diameter (assuming complete penetration and identical placement) will result in a larger hole than will smaller cutting area and smaller cutting diameter, hence a better blood trail.

Good luck with your choice and welcome to the greatest (well funnest from my perspective) sport on earth.

Last edited by Dakotan; 08/28/07.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Late answer on a question but yes, I've found my 100gr ST mags to shoot exact POI as field tips. I've shot them both side by side and my only complaint was that I ruined two arrows that were in the target already by the broadhead slicing them up (you'd think I'd learn after that first time).

FWIW I have shot a few different broadheads:

125gr NAP Thunderhead (great heads)
130 Wasp three blade (didn't shoot that great on my old rig)
100gr Satelite Mags (shot about exacltly same POI as field points but I'll never use them again, that's another story)
100gr Muzzy 3 blade (like their easy assembly but that's about it)
100gr Slick Trick Mags

Only the ST's and the Satelites shot the same POI as my field tips and I'll never use the Satelites again. I hear that if your bow is tuned properly then it "should" shoot field tips and broadheads to the same POI no matter what make/model etc. I've not found this to be true in my experience. Other's mileage may vary however.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$64 for 6 broadheads! Ouch. Don't think I'll be trying any slick tricks - not sure why I would with 90gr Muzzy's. Mine shoot wonderfully and have for over 10 years - it ain't broke and I'm not fixing it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
centershot,

I darn sure didn't pay 64 bucks for six STs. I do agree though, if it ain't broke don't "fix" it. Use whatever works and gives you the most confidence. Good hunting.

Chad

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 59 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,795
Posts18,536,418
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.