Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Who all is attending. My youngest son and I will be there Friday and Saturday.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

W
WBT Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I plan on being there.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I planned to go, but if none of the Southern Africa operators are there because of the travel ban I will not go.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mike70560
I planned to go, but if none of the Southern Africa operators are there because of the travel ban I will not go.

I wonder the same though I have no interest in Africa until things are back to "normal". Maybe 2023.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We'll be there. Arriving Wednesday through Sunday

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
3 of us will be there Friday through Sunday.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'll be there throughout, likely working the Blaser or EuroOptic gun booth.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I'll go maybe Friday and Saturday. Chance to see some old outfitter friends

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Live in Dallas and will be there!! At least one day!

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have fun guys!

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Be there all days working the Alaska's Rivers Wild Adventures booth

Thats about as much as I can handle of a city for a few days.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I'll be there. I plan to attend Thursday through Saturday.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Clearly the eight African countries banned will not be attending. At least one outfitter confirming via email. He's looking at hitting Mexico, quarantining for 15 days than on the Texas.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I will be there.I can go for another steak at Papas Bros. steakhouse.

Last edited by swiftshot; 12/13/21.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yep.
I’ll be there just not sure of the exact days yet.

The Africa outfitters as a no show should be a boon for the rest.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by swiftshot

My son and I always have a great meal at Bob's Chop House right there at the show. I have only been to Pappas in Houston a few times and it is equally good.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by EdM

My son and I always have a great meal at Bob's Chop House right there at the show. I have only been to Pappas in Houston a few times and it is equally good.

+1 on Bob's!

RS

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Funny. I've not had food in Dallas that was impressive enough to remember. But then again I'm so not picky on food anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am staying at the downtown Westin.Anyone staying there or stayed there before?

Last edited by swiftshot; 12/15/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We are revisiting not going. Apparently, there is some kind of discussions going on right now at both the federal and local levels. The feds are deciding whether to lift the ban on the eight African countries to travel here OR just mandate proof of vaccination/china bug free.

If they don't African Outfitters will not come, leaving only those with US representation. At the local level, Dallas IS run by DEMOCRATS and the city owns the venue and we all know what they can do with that..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I"m suspecting that it could well cancel due to the fear of omicron too. Wouldn't bother me. I hate doing that show but its good for business.

Don't like cities or libs.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rost495
I"m suspecting that it could well cancel due to the fear of omicron too. Wouldn't bother me. I hate doing that show but its good for business.

That's probably good for you since you can't find anything you like to eat in a metro area of 5M+. The vast majority of Africans arent' coming, and lot's of Canadians won't be there either.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGRaider

That's probably good for you since you can't find anything you like to eat in a metro area of 5M+. The vast majority of Africans arent' coming, and lot's of Canadians won't be there either.

IF you can't find a good place to eat in DALLAS, you have issues...

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We, youngest son and I, are still going. It has become tradition frankly and we enjoy the trip, the food, the gunmakers area and who ever will be there. Africa for me is at least a couple of years away given the current situation. I'm done with Canada so no worries there.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’m already booked in Africa for next year as well as a Caribbean cruise and a week in Jamaica. Can’t see spending another $2k just to visit since most of my African PH friends won’t be there the way it’s looking.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The DSC convention can be more fun than an African safari.Not all safaris go down nicely.As far as Jamaica and the Caribbean,they're [bleep] holes-nothing to do except lie in the sun or watch tv in the hotel lobby.

Last edited by swiftshot; 12/16/21.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI

IF you can't find a good place to eat in DALLAS, you have issues...

Didn't say didn't find a good place to eat. Just have not found anything that would make me want to go there just for the food. Pretty simple. Until you read things into this that aren't there.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

That sucks that both countries will not be present. This scamdemic needs to have never started.

As to food I like... The actual words were food that was impressive enough to remember. IE go back there every last time I'd be in the area. There is a huge difference. Edible food abounds.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Go spend some $$$ at Bob's Chop House and get back to me. If you don't like that grub there's no hope for you. Seriously, you have so many good choices there you have to work hard to find so much "non memorable" food.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The DSC convention can be more fun than an African safari.Not all safaris go down nicely.As far as Jamaica and the Caribbean,they're [bleep] holes-nothing to do except lie in the sun or watch tv in the hotel lobby.

You ain't kidding about Jamaica/Caribbean/etc.......they're schitttholes. Then again this is the same guy that thinks anyone who is unvaxed is a complete dumbass, so there's that.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Bob's is high on my list. Pecan Valley BBQ is also. There is also a traditional Mexican food place downtown, within walking distance of the convention center, called Meso Mayo (spelling) that is outstanding.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Didn't say didn't find a good place to eat. Just have not found anything that would make me want to go there just for the food. Pretty simple. Until you read things into this that aren't there.

Can you give me an example of a place you would go just for the food and an example of the food there?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Go spend some $$$ at Bob's Chop House and get back to me. If you don't like that grub there's no hope for you. Seriously, you have so many good choices there you have to work hard to find so much "non memorable" food.

Will give er a go this time. Thanks for the heads up. Think we tried that once before but there was a wait. Not sure.

I don't mind spending. But just nothing outstanding up there so far.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

Can you give me an example of a place you would go just for the food and an example of the food there?

Will have to get back to you on that. I just drive where they tell me. One place was I think a top end burger joint downtown somewhere. Burgers ok. They mixed somethings that were kinda wild like either peach or mango on a burger. It was good. But not such that I'd go back on purpose. Other than that there was a Mexican place fairly far out. Ok Mexican. Nothing special.

I'll take other suggestions.

We did try some steak place but it was a suit/tie kind of place and I don't even own any of that stuff. LOL. So we skipped it.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E

My son and I eat there every year. Reservations are in for Friday.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm jealous......can't get enough of that ribeye.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Funny. I've not had food in Dallas that was impressive enough to remember. But then again I'm so not picky on food anyway.

Main Street Cafe, near downtown. Mercado Juarez about 15 minutes West. There's an endless supply of great food if you don't have your mind made up before you walk in.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Just have not found anything that would make me want to go there just for the food. Pretty simple. Until you read things into this that aren't there.

If one goes to Dallas JUST for cuisine, it's not a bad choice. It might not be Paris, or even New York. but it still has world class restaurants.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

You ain't kidding about Jamaica/Caribbean/etc.......they're schitttholes. Then again this is the same guy that thinks anyone who is unvaxed is a complete dumbass, so there's that.

Only people who don't like their life, believe in Covid and Covid vaccination.

Last edited by swiftshot; 12/16/21.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Just have not found anything that would make me want to go there just for the food. Pretty simple. Until you read things into this that aren't there.

If one goes to Dallas JUST for cuisine, it's not a bad choice. It might not be Paris, or even New York. but it still has world class restaurants.

Wanna share a few names, I could try a few possibly.

Of course to be fair I've had clients in bush Alaska say I could use a cooking class or two.
But then I eat to live, not live to eat and its been that way.

So two possibles, I'm impossible to impress. Or have never been to the right place.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
A short walk to Cindi's NY Deli for breakfast on Sunday before we head home.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by EdM

No offense to all the great steak houses in Dallas but it is harder to find a good Kosher deli than a good steak house. I've been perusing their menu and I can see me stopping in more than once.

B
B
Keep in mind that the whole show in Dallas is run by volunteers from the DSC to try to minimize cost and raise money for conservation and the hunting community. Anybody attending is a valued contributor and much appreciated.

Thank you and please attend and support all exhibitors.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
DSC does a great job for sure. It's light years better organization than SCI, which is primarily for the blue blood lardassssed lawyer types.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

I enjoy lying on a beach having a waiter come by every 30 minutes taking drink orders, not to mention scuba diving, fishing and sailing. And I would be happy to compare medical education/ practical experience with you- any damn day of the week….. Unvaxxed are simply an easy way to watch Darwinism at work. No problem for me.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by jdollar

I enjoy lying on a beach having a waiter come by every 30 minutes taking drink orders, not to mention scuba diving, fishing and sailing. And I would be happy to compare medical education/ practical experience with you- any damn day of the week….. Unvaxxed are simply an easy way to watch Darwinism at work. No problem for me.

Yeah right.When I went to the caribbean it was so boring I had to get drunk every day so I wouldn't feel depressed.Both times I went I was at the front desk the next day asking when was the next flight out.Now a days I value my health and keep in shape so I stopped drinking and stay away from any "medication".But if alcohol and vaccines work for you then good for you.
I am the only member of my family who is very healthy and drug free.I never go to the doctor.The rest of them have been going from a young age and over the years they were prescribed more and more drugs starting with blood pressure pills.

Last edited by swiftshot; 12/18/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jdollar

They're still schitttholes, and you obviously "know" only what you're being fed by Biden and the boys with regards to this fraud of a vaccine. Idiots like you are living proof that some medical professionals are indeed "practicing" medicine.

Just had the Covid, took hydroxy and ivermectin......nothing but a minor cold.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jpr9954
Originally Posted by EdM

No offense to all the great steak houses in Dallas but it is harder to find a good Kosher deli than a good steak house. I've been perusing their menu and I can see me stopping in more than once.

You want good kosher? Try Wolfie's in Miami Beach. Collins avenue...oy!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I heard Africans were hiring Americans to man booths .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jorge I heard John S and Dave have recently canceled coming to the States as the schedule for lifting travel restrictions just too tight window to make the financial commitment reasonable. Sad for all those who rely so heavily on these shows to make their year.

Last edited by muygrande1; 12/23/21. Reason: Spelling
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, we corresponded a couple of weeks ago when this nonsense ban was instated. They are still hoping to make SCI

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Does anyone know if there are going to be any African outfitters at the show? The ones from the main hunting countries.

Last edited by swiftshot; 12/25/21.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
African travel ban is officially being lifted December 31, so a lot of outfitters are scrambling to make last minute plane reservations. DSC has committed to going ahead unless a court order closes the convention center.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Make sure you have your booster(s) and a mask.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Johnny,

Are you going to be there? I'd like to meet you.

Ed

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Likewise Ed. I'm sure hoping to. The closer it gets I'll try to update so we can meet. Warning though...I'm just as much of a PITA in person.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Anyone have an updates on any issue with the convention? Planning to be there Friday.

Already a little bummed out as I was planning to get fitted for a new pair of Blackjack boots but they don't plan to attend this year.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Love to see some of you guys but most outfitters I know aren't coming, and I'd rather be hunting mule deer so I guess I'm out. Hope you all have a good time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
So far, it is still a "go". Not clear on all the bullshit regarding masks, etc. After all Dallas and the county are run by democrats so who knows. We still plan on going, but I KNOW it won't be the same,

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I just took a weeks vacation in Vegas last November.I think I will get another stretch of work in before leaving again.I am looking forward to going next year.

Last edited by swiftshot; 01/04/22.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So far, it is still a "go". Not clear on all the bullshit regarding masks, etc. After all Dallas and the county are run by democrats so who knows. We still plan on going, but I KNOW it won't be the same,

Email I got a few days back E registration code had a link. No masks. I was expecting them. But if they change, they better have a supply. I don't own a mask that won't work.
They don't want me in there with a working mask.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
On my way down now for a couple of business meetings and then my father and I will be there Thursday-Sunday. Alex McDonald, who he had an exceptional hunt with in Mozambique, does not believe he is able to attend. He may come see my parents though and hopefully book some hunts with our family friends in Kansas. As others have mentioned, he is planning on having a couple of people stateside man his booth.

Cliff, we enjoyed meeting you last time and will find you at your booth. Jorge, I love Cubans and would enjoy meeting you this trip.

Hope everyone has a great show!

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
My father just got a message from Johan Calitz and he’s in Frankfurt. All is looking good for him to make Dallas. Hopefully a few other PHs are able to route through Germany.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'll be at Bob's with my son at 5:15 Friday. We arrive, from different Texas locations, around noon and spend the balance of the day in the "guns for sale/custom gunmakers" area. Saturday is the balance of the show. Sunday AM is breakfast at Cindi's then the drive back home.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Looks like friday will be the all day event for me-- my little girl's birthday is on Saturday and I wouldn't wish on anyone the glare I got when I tried to mention a casual saturday visit as well....

Again- I live in town, about 15 min from Kay Bailey so if anyone has any issues or needs some local support just lemme know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm planning to attend on Saturday. Hopefully head part of the way on Friday evening, then be there when it opens on Sat. Look forward to catching up with you folks!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Are the hotel restaurants and bars open in Dallas? Staying at the magnolia and hoping I don't have to leave just to get a drink.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I was at the show all day yesterday. Here are some observations.

The show is markedly smaller than in years past and there are many open areas where there are normally outfitters and other exhibitors. Although it was opening day and on a Thursday, the crowd attending today was way off. I'll be there tomorrow and will check back in.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by EdM
I'll be at Bob's with my son at 5:15 Friday. We arrive, from different Texas locations, around noon and spend the balance of the day in the "guns for sale/custom gunmakers" area. Saturday is the balance of the show. Sunday AM is breakfast at Cindi's then the drive back home.

Which Bob’s location? We’ll be at the Lemon Street location at 6:30. It’s much more quiet than the location in the Omni.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kscowboy01
On my way down now for a couple of business meetings and then my father and I will be there Thursday-Sunday. Alex McDonald, who he had an exceptional hunt with in Mozambique, does not believe he is able to attend. He may come see my parents though and hopefully book some hunts with our family friends in Kansas. As others have mentioned, he is planning on having a couple of people stateside man his booth.

Cliff, we enjoyed meeting you last time and will find you at your booth. Jorge, I love Cubans and would enjoy meeting you this trip.

Hope everyone has a great show!

EuroOptic did not bring their gun booth so I’m not working Blaser for them. I’m here at the show and will be in the show all day. I enjoyed our conversation and hope we can connect today. I’ll pm you my mobile.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
For those headed to DSC today, there is no mask requirement.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
How was the crowd today?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
How was the crowd today?

Very light

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As OSU_Sig said-- it was DSC 'Lite" this year- which still made for an enjoyable experience today as lines were short, people we easy to talk with and easier to navigate.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Had a great day today at the show. Got to spend some time with duckhunter175 and 3 other outlaws who frequent the fire. DSC is my favorite show and I cannot see myself missing it, short of health issues.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It’s been a good show so far — the crowds were thin on Thursday and Friday saw more attendance. Not elbow to elbow by any stretch but that’s ok. It’s good to see the African guys there and everyone seems to be in a good mood.
I’m there for work, helping the crew at Kenzies optics on the back side of the Trijicon booth. Thermals have been selling well (good demographic for them) and I’ve had some good conversations with lots of folks)
Met Sakohunter 264 and talked rifles a bit, had a bit of time and went to see Matt at MNR and Mark Bansner. It’s good to see Ward Dobler there, he is with Parkwest.
If you see me in the booth feel free to say hello, I’m Courtney Braswell

PigGuy

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Today was pretty busy. Thoroughly enjoyed the day. A few hunts in consideration. Getting ready for some Mexican food in a bit. We’ll have breakfast at Cindi’s for hash and eggs. Then to Frisco to visit my middle son who recently moved to the area.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I forgot to mention that I walked right past Donald Trump, Jr at the show Friday. He was walking around with another guy, looking at rifles & having a good time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Thursdays have ALWAYS been light days. Yes there were a few outfitters that did not make it, but those that did, reported their "best days ever" in terms of bookings and sales. Saturday was a nut house! very crowded and busy.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's good to hear. I can only imagine how tough it's been for the Africa guys the past two years.

E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thursdays have ALWAYS been light days. Yes there were a few outfitters that did not make it, but those that did, reported their "best days ever" in terms of bookings and sales. Saturday was a nut house! very crowded and busy.

The only folks not there were the Kiwi's and Ausie's... As noted above, Saturday was great.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Pretty good year considering. Got my son in law a pair of Kenetreks and got a lead on an Amazon and Panama fishing trip. Just have to see which the wife is more interested in. Noticed several downtown restaurants were closed down. Ended up at Hard Eight for some BBQ.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I was there for 2 1/2 days and had a great time , booked a Alaskan fishing trip . A good time was had by all .

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

291 members (222ND, 160user, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 25 invisible), 1,816 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,391
Posts18,469,828
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.