Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I have a 9 year old grand daughter that is left handed and left eye dominant. I have found a Tikka T3x in .243 W. with a 1 in 10 twist. It weighs 5.9#. Do you folks that know these things think the 1 in 10 will be accurate with the 100 grain Nosler Partition? If I reduce the powder for reduced recoil will that likely affect accuracy. Her Dad has a Stainless Tikka left hand in .308 and I loaded it down for her using 135 grain Cutting edge copper bullets and 38 grains of H4895 which is plenty accurate, but it is one of those rifles that will shoot anything accurately. Her Dad needs his rifle on the same days Liz needs one so she has been using my right handed Weatherby Vanguard2 in .223. The .223 is good but I'm not in favor of it for deer hunting.

A 1:10" twist .243 will have no issue stabilizing 100gr NPT's. Even with reduced loads. And a 100gr NPT out of a .243 will kill any deer walking. Rock on !
21 years ago I bought my 9 year old daughter a Savage 10 in .243W, and have no idea of the twist rate. We bought some Federal Premium in 100 grain NP and to our surprise it was a sub minute rifle. After that we learned to load 100 NP ourselves with a hot load of IMR4350 that shot as well as the Federal factory loads. She has moved to Dallas and hasn't hunted much since having kids but she killed 22 deer and numerous hogs so yes, the .243 is a deadly rifle. I shot 3 deer with it myself. My little grand daughter is tall for her age and her arms are long enough for standard rifle but she is skittish about recoil.

243 does work but it won't kill any better than 223. So, if we're choosing from all available options, we choose based on what is easier to shoot by the shooter. That's an AR in 223 if you have one. It's not really a this vs that. It's how to get the same in a package that fits as close to the very most optimal as possible.

Lots of kids have happily survived being burdened with too much gun. Not the end of the world. Best wishes for success!

You are right that the .223 is a deadly round and I do have an AR15 to spare. We are still working on gun safety indoctrination and I've had to remind her more than once about keeping her finger off the trigger. I honestly believe she is slightly attention deficit despite being extremely smart. The AR could be loaded with 1 or 2 rounds and a spare magazine on hand for safety sake. I would not like to see the woods sprayed down with rifle fire and I think a lot negligent discharges happen after a good shot is taken and a safety gets left off and a finger gets left on the trigger. I've successfully shot numerous hogs with the .223 and a Hornady 62 grain HPBT hunting bullet or a 62 Barnes.

We may go ahead and make the season with what we have but a .243 is legal in most states and as it has become with my 29 year old daughter it can be a lifetime rifle. I appreciate the input.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Shake up a warm can of Coke and shoot it with a .22 from 10 feet away. Have her take a good look at the little .22 cartridge and the now-destroyed can.

It makes gun safety a little more real.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Shake up a warm can of Coke and shoot it with a .22 from 10 feet away. Have her take a good look at the little .22 cartridge and the now-destroyed can.

It makes gun safety a little more real.P
I have done something similar for years with kids. I shoot a milk jug full of water with a high powered rifle and tell them that's what happens to the inside of a body shot with a rifle. It is impressive.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

It makes gun safety a little more real.P
I have done something similar for years with kids. I shoot a milk jug full of water with a high powered rifle and tell them that's what happens to the inside of a body shot with a rifle. It is impressive.

Just for fun I bought an extra pumpkin for Halloween several years ago. My boy hollowed it out and I filled it full of water, put the lid on, and put it on a stump in the front yard.

Centerpunched it with a 200 grain Silvertip from a model 71 .348. The biggest piece we found was about the size of my thumb.

My boy was suitably impressed.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
G
OP Offline
G
Went out to shoot the Tikka I picked up. Had to wait on screws for the Talley rings I purchased because someone took them out of the packaging. I had loaded up some 150 grain Hornaday fmjbt and although I wasn't shooting for accuracy it shot great even though I had 9 to 11 mph winds quartering towards me.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
A stainless lightweight Tikka in .30-06 would easily do a person for a one gun does it all.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by jackmountain
A stainless lightweight Tikka in .30-06 would easily do a person for a one gun does it all.

Yep.
Add Sportsmatch rings and an SWFA 3-9. Out the door for under $1500.

Or 6.5, 7/08, 270 …

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
That was my thinking and @Pharmaseller helped me make that happen. It’s the only rifle I have now. I never feel under- or over-gunned.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I have one of those yet I own many more rifles. Must be a consequence of coming to this stupid site.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX
That was my thinking and @Pharmseller helped me make that happen. It’s the only rifle I have now. I never feel under- or over-gunned.

How’s she treating you?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX
That was my thinking and @Pharmseller helped me make that happen. It’s the only rifle I have now. I never feel under- or over-gunned.
How’s she treating you?

She hits what I aim for if I do my part. I am getting 0.56" groups with Federal Fusion 150gr factory ammo and under 1" with 2 other factory loads. Everything else I have fed it has been 1" to 2+", but all still minute of deer. The sub-MOA loads are the Fusion 150gr, Barnes TTSX Vor-TX 168gr, and Hornady SST Reduced Recoil 125gr. If I can't do it with those selections, then pretty sure it ain't dying to a 30-06 anyway. Interestingly enough, while the Federal Fusion 150gr shoots the best, the Federal Fusion in 165gr and 180gr both shoot the worst.

So, other than not having enough ammo to make consistent range trips, she is doing really well. Shot a 10-point buck with her last season. Haven't seen anything I just "needed" to shoot this year so far. It's still early though.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by urbaneruralite
I have a 9 year old grand daughter that is left handed and left eye dominant. I have found a Tikka T3x in .243 W. with a 1 in 10 twist. It weighs 5.9#. Do you folks that know these things think the 1 in 10 will be accurate with the 100 grain Nosler Partition? If I reduce the powder for reduced recoil will that likely affect accuracy. Her Dad has a Stainless Tikka left hand in .308 and I loaded it down for her using 135 grain Cutting edge copper bullets and 38 grains of H4895 which is plenty accurate, but it is one of those rifles that will shoot anything accurately. Her Dad needs his rifle on the same days Liz needs one so she has been using my right handed Weatherby Vanguard2 in .223. The .223 is good but I'm not in favor of it for deer hunting.

9yo girl means AR-15 with a good trigger. It's the low recoil, adjustable stock and easy control with pistol grip.

62gr Fusion works at least as well as 243. It'll go through both shoulder blades on 150#+ deer and keep on going.

After action report. She killed her first deer with the Weatherby Van2 in .223. A decent 8 point weighed 188.6 with the guts in. She insisted on the .223 instead of the down loaded .308 so I guess we will look for a left hand .223 Tikka stainless.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Congrats to you and your grand daughter on the 8 point. Thats awesome. My grand daughter is nine, she is shooting a 22 learning gun safety. Hopefully next year she will be able to take her first deer. I cant wait. I hope to be as lucky as you were with a decent Buck for her.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

After action report. She killed her first deer with the Weatherby Van2 in .223. A decent 8 point weighed 188.6 with the guts in. She insisted on the .223 instead of the down loaded .308 so I guess we will look for a left hand .223 Tikka stainless.

Bullet?
Distance?
Placement?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (06hunter59, 163bc, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,787
Posts18,515,869
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.