-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don’t worry about having enough charging stations across the country, they will be built with free government money!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds to me like a hybrid is the way to go here in the northland,
RB

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The Tesla has a small cheap motor and big expensive heavy batteries.
My Ford Truck has a small cheap gas tank and big expensive heavy engine.

So far the Tesla can beat my Ford in the short Pike's Peak race, but I can go 600 miles between stops.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Most of the newer built refueling stops/stores at the interstates exits are being built with chargers as well as restaurants at the exits. Heck, even in the sticks around here Sams has chargers. It’s only a matter of time before they are common. As charging technology increases you will be able to add 300 miles of range in 45 minutes or less.
Stop to eat, charge
Stop for the night, charge
Pull into rest area for a break, charge.
It’s coming wether you like it or not.

110-115 years ago they said the same thing about ICE vehicles - not enough gas stations.

Texas is going to build them in rest areas.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
What's the range at -20 with the heater on full blast?

Will it keep you warm if stuck in a snowdrift overnight?

Or is it just a car for the beach boys?

Went for a ride with the SIL and his Model S in Wisconsin today. He has a 75 mile (each way) commute. He uses about 50% of the charge during a summer day, about 75% on a winter day. At current fuel / electricity prices, he saves about $300 per month on fuel compared to commuting in his Subaru.

Car makes merging into traffic a whole different thing. It's a kick in the pants. Made the redhead giggle......

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman

I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla or charging station in Montana. My old vette has about 150 mile range on a good day, but at least it's cool and I can fill it up in 5 minutes laugh

The have them in the parking lot at the mall on main, Super One in Evergreen, a couple in Lake Side, a couple up on Black Tail, Whitefish has a few.

That's the ones near you I just happened to notice.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just spent T'Giving with my daughter's family in Arizona. Drove our Toyota Highlander Hybrid and got 35 mpg the whole trip. I saw many Teslas in Scottsdale (status symbol central) and in Vegas. Not so many on the interstate. So far, they seem to be city cars. That's a perfect use for them, IMO. Less pollution, quiet, lots of navigation goodies for traffic avoidance, and more.

Unless you have to tow or haul a lot, a hybrid is the way to go for distance driving, again IMO. It's matter of correct tools for the job, really.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The early I/c cars were less than practical, as were the early aircraft. Technology evolves. Currently, electric vehicles are niche items…only practical for use under a limited number of circumstances. That will change.

I love my internal combustion engines. I have several 1000 - 1100 mile trips I make each year and I like to do them in one day. EV’s are not practical for me…yet. My wife walks to work and it’s been a long time since her BMW had gone more than 10 miles from the house. She’d be well-served by an electric and I’m guessing that’s what she’ll have in 2 1/2 years, when both boys are out of college.

Mathew 22: 37-39

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
When Tesla figures out how to attach a generator to charge the battery while you drive, they will sell more cars.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's called a hybrid, lost six. Not exactly a new idea.

There's no connection between the engine and the wheels in our hybrid. No transmission, no starter motor, no belts, no alternator. The engine turns a generator, which powers everything else while sending power to the battery.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B3

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Texas is going to build them in rest areas.[/quote]

That is what they are doing here too.
Folks are wondering where the power is going to come from?

Last edited by 673; 12/06/21.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Originally Posted by Remsen
The real world range in a Tesla is about mid 200 miles and it takes about an hour to recharge. I used to have a Tesla (the Model S) and thought it would be interesting to drive it from CA (when I lived there) to our place in Montana. 1000 miles of hell. Having to stop every 200 miles for an hour is a total deal killer for me, since I usually make the 1000 mile trip in a day. I hear that the newer Teslas can hit about 300 miles on the highway, but even that assumes you are driving about 70 mph, which is not going to happen for me.

I don't think I've ever seen a Tesla or charging station in Montana. My old vette has about 150 mile range on a good day, but at least it's cool and I can fill it up in 5 minutes laugh

"The Fort" (gun shop/gas-station/convenience store) in Big Timber MT has 3 or 4 Tesla charging stations.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Originally Posted by slumlord
Every Chipotle I ever seen has a charging dock

Just map your trip out

Recharge and get spinach diarrhea poisoning yee haw

Never heard of Chipotle…

That some kinda fried chicken place?

It's this mediocre mexican place the womenfolk seem to like.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Why is it when 'so called' conservatives don't like something, they call it liberal. What is liberal about owning an electric vehicle? As technology advances, why not have an electric vehicle?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

What is the cost of a recharge while on the road?

673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by skywalker
Why is it when 'so called' conservatives don't like something, they call it liberal. What is liberal about owning an electric vehicle? As technology advances, why not have an electric vehicle?

The key here is...."as technology advances" because at this time all the rivers around here have been dammed, not sure what the solution is for new power sources.
Water is pretty important too, apparently Salmon and other fish species are not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Backroads

What is the cost of a recharge while on the road?

Google results.

The Tesla Model X costs about $15.29 to fully charge, which comes out to about 4.5 cents per mile. It will cost around $7.65 to charge a Tesla Model 3. Depending on the variant, this is between 3 and 4 cents per mile. If you own a Tesla Model S, you can expect to pay about 3.7 per mile.
3 days ago

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
673 Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I would be shocked to find out the same folks who control the Oil reserves of the World, also control the massive hydro Electric projects.
What electricity costs today, will be somewhat different than what its worth tomorrow.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by skywalker
IMHO, what's liberal is the gov't and greenies jamming these things down our throats and doing their level best to get rid of every internal combustion engine on the planet... EFF them all.

If someone wants/has an actual use for one, I don't give a rat's azz... Totally up to them - freedom of choice is good...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lostsixgunner
When Tesla figures out how to attach a generator to charge the battery while you drive, they will sell more cars.

Tesla has regenerative braking.

My father, who got a lot of gun and vehicle patents in the 50's through 80's, said, "Everyone looks at regenerative braking, but no one does it, because it is not worth it."

The problem is the brakes can absorb at 500 horse power, average generators cannot.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

365 members (17CalFan, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 1936M71, 49 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,145
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.