Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
You know, I am sick oof these new “nanny trucks” that pop up odes each time I drive mine. My current tRuck is a 2017 Nissan Titan XD SV four door with the 5.0L Cummins. It is under powered, throws codes all tHe time and is merely OK on fuel mileage. I am contemplating ditching the blasted thing. Comfortable, yes! Good looking, yes! It is considered a 5/8 ton.
I have nick named it the “Titanic”. Livery time I get comfortable with it, it schits the bed so how.
So, I am thinking about dumping the blasted thing and looking at a Dodge Hemi. Tired of grinding my teeth.
Thoughts anyone? MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’m not sure a Dodge/Ram/Fiat is going to be a step up in reliability or mileage. Maybe, but it will likely be because you are dumping diesel for gas.

Last edited by K1500; 12/05/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a great time to sell if you don't like/trust the truck. Finding a good replacement might be a challenge, though.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nissan dropped the 5.0 cummins. Good luck finding a nissan diesel tech! Dump that truck while its still runing,even if you take a hit.

Everybody got cooky monster eyes over the bic "C" on a half ton.

Hemispherical chambers in a dodge engine isnt gonna protect you from mechanical trouble.

They arent even a true hemi design anymore, just a name.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by MTGunner
You know, I am sick oof these new “nanny trucks” that pop up odes each time I drive mine. My current tRuck is a 2017 Nissan Titan XD SV four door with the 5.0L Cummins. It is under powered, throws codes all tHe time and is merely OK on fuel mileage. I am contemplating ditching the blasted thing. Comfortable, yes! Good looking, yes! It is considered a 5/8 ton.
I have nick named it the “Titanic”. Livery time I get comfortable with it, it schits the bed so how.
So, I am thinking about dumping the blasted thing and looking at a Dodge Hemi. Tired of grinding my teeth.
Thoughts anyone? MTG

If you want dependability I would look somewhere other than a Dodge. Now my understanding is they have improved a little but the company I worked for had a fleet of work trucks and most were Dodge because we could get them cheap. Well it was good we got them cheap because we had considerably more problems with them than a Chevy or Ford.

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A cousin of mine had 2 RAMs with Hemi's, a 2016 and a 2018. The 2016 motor was so bad they took it back and gave him a 2018. Now the tranny is going on it. My 2018 3500 RAM diesel is one of the best pick-ups I have had so far.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thoughts anyone? MTG

What are your driving habits? Short trips? EGR/DPF/DEF equipped diesels NEED to get up to full operating temp often, in fact, if you want them to be reliable, they need to get to full temp on every drive. I've posted this many times, but, @ 0F ambient, it takes my '11 6.7L Ford ~20-25Mi of highway driving to come up to full operating temp, idling reduces this time, but only by maybe 5-7Min. If it then needs a regen of the DPF I need a minimum of another 15-20Mi of uninterrupted driving to complete the regen.

I get away with having a diesel because it's a 2nd vehicle for me and I don't start it up unless I'm going to be making a minimum of a 30Min drive. The shooting range is a ~30min drive for me and that's about the shortest trip I take regularly.

Idling and/or short trips are the modern diesel's kryptonite and it doesn't matter which manufacturer produced it.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I drive my Titan, “Titanic”, on long towing trips 90% of the time. My short trips are easily 30-60 miles. Yet the dam thing keeps throwing codes. Thought a Dodge Ram would, might be the answer. Guessed wrong due to these posts. So, guess# will have to look at a Toyota, gas Nissan, GMC or etc. Not satisfied with my Titanic. Hate to get into another new truck, but what the heck. My Titanic has reliability problems. Thanks for the help. MTG

Last edited by MTGunner; 12/06/21.

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Toyota or Ford if you can afford it.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Toyota tundra

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I read a test of a brand new Titan Diesel. They were towing a boat for a few days. Ended up in 2 different Nissan dealerships and never completed the trip. I'd sell ASAP!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Thoughts anyone? MTG

If you want dependability I would look somewhere other than a Dodge. Now my understanding is they have improved a little lot but the company I worked for had a fleet of work trucks and most were Dodge because we could get them cheap. Well it was good we got them cheap because we had considerably more problems with them than a Chevy or Ford.

They are not cheap price wise an quality anymore. If I were looking for problems with a truck I would look at Chevy,Nissan and Ford. You could not give me any of the three. I don't know what the Tundra reliability will be from here on out and not going to test that water.

I have owned 3 Tacomas and one 2017 Tundra,Other then the Toyota dealer could never get the truck properly aligned on multiple occasions only issue was a defective passenger side front tire. The Tacomas were hardly trouble free, numerous issues on a 2006,2009 but none on a 2014.

The Ford got bought back with 6500 miles on the ODO after 6 months of ownership. Took Ford 5 months to complete the buyback. Never the F again.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
It's a great time to sell if you don't like/trust the truck. Finding a good replacement might be a challenge, though.

And very expensive. Even the used truck prices are ridiculous right now...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thoughts anyone? MTG

You are better off buying a Toyota. Much more reliable. Good luck with the Fiat made Dodge. Pretty lateral move. My 21 year old Tundra is more reliable than most new trucks on the road. You don't like having codes every time you drive your truck, but you insist on buying new. Good luck buddy..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
That's too bad you're Nissan Cummins is such a problem. I have never driven one, but I was thinking they would have been a nice rig.

I have a 2020 Dodge Cummins with the Aisin, so far it has been one of the best trucks I have owned. I have 53K on it right now, but it really doesn't get started unless I am hooked up to one of my trailers or I need to move something that requires the 8ft bed. Truck is powerful beyond my expectations.

I also have a 2017 Colorado ZR2 with the baby Duramax in it. I routinely drive 1000 miles round trip and in and around the city around Northern Va. I got the truck cause I wanted something that got good mileage since I do so much driving, but I wanted to be able to throw hunting gear and such in the truck and go wherever I wanted to. It is a good truck, but I will say I bought it used and have had to replace the NOX sensors in the DPF. I got the truck knowing I could have to do some repairs to the truck. The great part is it gets an easy 25MPG on the road running 75-80MPH pretty easily, has lockers front and rear and has a decent amount of cab space. I am 6-5 so I was pleasantly surprised when I started driving the truck it isn't short on cab space for two grown men.

I have no idea what I'd get for a 1/2 ton truck these days myself. They all have their pros/cons. It is probably always a good idea for the extended warranty these days. 10 years ago I wouldn't have done one, today, I try to plan on getting one, either from my insurance company or the vehicle maker.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What codes is it showing.

Last edited by baltz526; 12/09/21.

The anti American Constitutional party (Democrat). Wants to dismantle your rights, limiting every aspect of your constitutional rights. Death by 1000 cuts is the tactic. Each cut bleeds constitutional rights to control you. Control is the goal.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys are funny. I have owned 4 Ram trucks since 1996, the last 2 with Cummins engines. Over 700k miles driven combined, and was stranded one time when an ignition switch on my '03 shorted out. Not a bad run at all. Current one is a 2014 2500 Diesel with 183k miles on it. No squeaks, rattles or mechanical issues. Replaced the waterpump at 90k as a preventive maintenance item.

If you maintain your stuff, they are all good.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by badger
You guys are funny. I have owned 4 Ram trucks since 1996, the last 2 with Cummins engines. Over 700k miles driven combined, and was stranded one time when an ignition switch on my '03 shorted out. Not a bad run at all. Current one is a 2014 2500 Diesel with 183k miles on it. No squeaks, rattles or mechanical issues. Replaced the waterpump at 90k as a preventive maintenance item.

If you maintain your stuff, they are all good.

I have had 3 so far, 06 5.9 Cummins, 14 with the 6.7 and now the 20. I'd agree with you Badger, they've been really easy trucks to keep going. The only real reason I have traded up is I wanted a new truck. I haven't ever been in a position where they were leaving me stranded. I did the water pump at 75K on my 14 as well. They did it under a recall. The 14 was a solid horse of a truck.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Last edited by beretzs; 12/10/21.

Semper Fi
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thoughts anyone? MTG

You are better off buying a Toyota. Much more reliable. Good luck with the Fiat made Dodge. Pretty lateral move. My 21 year old Tundra is more reliable than most new trucks on the road. You don't like having codes every time you drive your truck, but you insist on buying new. Good luck buddy..

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thoughts anyone? MTG

What does a 21 year old Tundra have to do with current quality? You can't assume manufacturers have kept up their quality over a span of time that long. Some have and some have improved. Chevy, Ford and Toyota have not improved.

Arguing with a master mechanic over it makes you look like a fool.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 12/10/21.
G
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
G
Buy American buy Ford !

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1234, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,888 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,186
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.