Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've been shooting the 260 at deer since it was introduced by Remington. In that time, I've loaded just about every major bullet in the 120-140gr range, testing for accuracy. In my first 260 (Ruger 77) the best options were the 120gr Sierra Prohunter (good accuracy, quick kills) and the 120gr Nosler BT (good accuracy, wicked terminal performance). Then Barnes introduced the 120gr TTSX. Better accuracy out of my Ruger, and excellent terminal performance - with all being complete pass-throughs (I'm sure there are a couple still out there somewhere, in a low earth orbit). This bullet shoots accurately in both of my hunting rifles, and I'm sure it'd do just fine in my target gun if I took the time to load it. It just f*cking works! Try it - you'll thank me later.....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
GB1

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
This has been a good read for me. Just got an email from Cabelas that my Savage Tactical in 6.5 is in today. I will have a year to find some ammo for next year but looks like you guys get great results with this round.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Jstocks
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
There are just so many variables that unless every review is a book
of facts, it's hard to judge based on someone's report.

The huge variables are how one hunts, where the place the bullets,
And their expectation of results.

So many speak smugly about bullet placement.
As if to infer they are Super Snipers and others can't shoot.
But shooting ribs is different than shoulders.
Some are able to head, spine shoot. I usually can't, or don't try.
Sometimes have to.

And results....
I expect to see at least half die. With rib shots.
Over 125 yards? Too far.
Under 75 is way preferable.

Those expectations alone can completely change everything.

Maybe I should have put in my initial post….

Most hunting situations I’ll be 150 yards and in. I’m in Alabama, and most shots are on food plots or in the woods, so unless I’m on a clear cut, I really have no where to stretch it out.

Secondly, I’m a rib shooter. I teach the kids to put it in the crease. Shoulder shots are accidental, but do happen. 270 and ‘06 usually anchors them on a shoulder shot, and I expect the 6.5 will also. I’m colorblind though, so 2 holes bleeding is always better than 1 hole bleeding just a bit.

I’ve had great results with 129gr Hornady Interlocks and 130gr Nosler Accubonds. Have also enjoyed fine results from 130gr Berger HVLDs, 140gr Berger Elite Hunters, 140gr Hornady Amaxes, and 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. From the conditions you listed, I think you’d like both the 129gr Interlock and the 130gr Accubond. The most for the least in a short to mid-range Bullet is easily the 129gr Interlock.

John

Last edited by Hondo64d; 12/12/21.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I was looking for a .308 or, preferably, a 7mm-08 for a 725 SA. David Walter made me a deal I couldn't refuse on a 700 take-0ff .260 TI stainless barrel, tho.

You are gonna like that 6.5!

So far, I haven't found any factory ammo this barrel likes except 140 gr. It's killed over a half-dozen caribou, an elk, and a wolf. With Corelokts, no bullets recovered. Several caribou shots were in excess of 300 yards.

Can't argue with that. I would not hesitate to use it on a moose. You don't need premiums for deer, but use whatever shoots best. Within reason. I'd be looking at the 129 and up real hard tho.

Interestingly, the worst groups of anything were Barnes 120 TSX.

Last edited by las; 12/11/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
140 NP gets that assignment. If you want good expansion and upset, plus a probable exit, it’s tops.
If you wish to trade good expansion for sure penetration, go X bullet. But I wouldn’t make that trade for southern whitetails. Better to favor rapid upset. Killing deer is one thing, finding them is another.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter97
The 143 grain ELD-X is very effective on deer from my experience .Have heard its good for elk as well but have no personal experience on that.

Ask DennisinAZ about this.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by AZmark
Hey, its a Creedmore! Load it with popcorn and it'll kill grizzly.

Lol, that's a good one. I have had good luck on Whitetail with 139 Lapua Scenar's in both my Sako 260 and Tikka 6.5 Creed. For some reason either gun does not like Barne's bullets. They always group Sierra, Hornady, and Lapua's better than the Barne's.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Loaded up some 100 gr. Barnes TTSX with an average fps of 3,039 for my son. He’s 9 so I wanted a lower recoiling load. He’s killed 3 whitetails with them so far. Very pleased with the results. I’ll step it up to a 127 gr. LRX hotter load after next season.

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to shoot that 100TTSX at 3,200 with Big Game in a 260Rem. If I still had that rifle, I’d likely still be shooting that load. Was a good killer on deer and hogs.

Now with even more aplomb
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I had my second non-exit with the 129 ABLR this morning. 225 yards, almost straight ahead, very slightly angled. Bullet entered the near shoulder/neck cress. I didn't dig through the guts to find it. Buck dropped in place. Forward chest cavity was soup.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I don't own a 6.5 creedmore, I use a .260 rem. I have shot about 14 head of game with it. All save one was with 130 gr berger Hunting vlds. distances where from 200-700 yds. on deer and antelope. One was a pig at665 yds. All dropped at the shot. The actual terminal damage ranged from no obvious exterior damage with pulverized lungs to 12" exit holes and goop running out. Actual impact velocity makes some difference to this effect, but be sure the tips are open and clear of debris to ensure initial expansion. Hitting shoulders will send bone fragments all over and ruin more meat , but through ribs makes them just as dead just as fast. The various Berger hunting bullets and JLK's I have seen used all performed like this in .260s and creedmores with out exception.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
I had my second non-exit with the 129 ABLR this morning. 225 yards, almost straight ahead, very slightly angled. Bullet entered the near shoulder/neck cress. I didn't dig through the guts to find it. Buck dropped in place. Forward chest cavity was soup.

Had same results on a buck and a big hog with that bullet. Wrecked vitals up front and pushed deep to the back. Very solid choice if a rifle likes that bullet.

Now with even more aplomb
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1234, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,637
Posts18,474,408
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.