Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The ones I have been around are okay but you won't cut nearly as fast as a gas powered saw.

Handy for quick jobs. We used one to cut form lumber, 2x4 or 2x6. It works but definitely not a gas saw.

I can see one being handy for clearing shooting lanes, trimming trees where you're putting a tree stand etc.

Yes quieter than a gas saw but smaller gas Stihl saws can't be any more expensive and could be cheaper by the time you buy extra batteries to run on while the first set charges.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Most cordless chainsaws along with the Echo 58V come with a .043 chain and bar, but Tractor Supply has a .050 bar that bolts right up and makes it a much better saw. My advice, when your original chain is done, replace the bar and chain with this.

$33 and it even includes a new chain.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ain-combo-bm1501656-1041tsc?cm_vc=-10005

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by RalphBeagle
I bought a Makita a couple years ago. I think it's two 18 volt batteries. I have several other cordless makita tools (circular saw, drill, trimmer) and have had good luck with them. I've had no problems with the saw and really like carrying it in the truck for things like cutting down tress across logging roads and occasionally cutting of small amounts of firewood. For small jobs it works well and avoids the hassle of gas, oil, etc. I have to remember to charge the batteries about once a month or so, but I've never had the batteries go dead on me if they start out fully-charged and I had a big tree that took about 30 minutes to cut up this spring. Seems lighter than my Husqvarna (225? rancher?) but that could just be the balance. Oh the other hand I still carry my gas-powered Husqvarna for larger jobs and in case my batteries have gone dead.

Define big, dead tree

12” diameter
16” diameter
soft pine crap or some type hardwood?

Bunch of limbs or all rotted off.

Appreciate the feedback on this, in the process of making my decision betwen the makita and echo

'I have both the Makita 36 and the Echo 58V. The Makita is very light and handy but it doesn't have near as much torque as the Echo 58V.

I like both for different reasons. But for serious cutting the Echo is a lot more saw.

I've taken down several fairly significant trees with the Echo 58V. Keep a sharp chain on the Echo and it'll throw some chips.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I already have Husqvarna 40V batteries, chargers and battery powered tools. So looking at their 40V chainsaw. They show different models with claims for each, but interested in the 14" just for stuff around the house.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Probably about a 16-18" hard maple with branches and leaves. No problem cutting any of it - just a lot of branches with either end lying in brush and a cautious guy holding the chain saw.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

We recently bought a DeWalt 20V Max (12” bar). We lost a fairly large (about 18 to 20” base) Russian Olive tree. I cut it into manageable pieces and hauled it off. The little saw did better than I thought that it would! I only had to charge the battery twice for the job! Pretty pleased so far! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I converted from Dewalt to Milwaukee about 6 yrs back..tired of the damn batteries not holding up.
Bought myself the cordless chainsaw about 18 months ago, and an 9ah battery..
Fugging thing will work you ass off...no stopping for gas and a beer. Felled, limbed, bucked and blocked a pin oak appx 16"- 17" dia. butt on the one battery...still going when finished by noticeably weaker...(so was my old fat ass)..
Since, I've learned ed to just stick a 4 or 5 ah in it, unless I have one of my sons or employee operating it.
If you have Milwaukee cordless tools already, it's a good addition..

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Probably about a 16-18" hard maple with branches and leaves. No problem cutting any of it - just a lot of branches with either end lying in brush and a cautious guy holding the chain saw.

Thanks for the comeback on that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I bought a Makita a couple years ago. I think it's two 18 volt batteries. I have several other cordless makita tools (circular saw, drill, trimmer) and have had good luck with them. I've had no problems with the saw and really like carrying it in the truck for things like cutting down tress across logging roads and occasionally cutting of small amounts of firewood. For small jobs it works well and avoids the hassle of gas, oil, etc. I have to remember to charge the batteries about once a month or so, but I've never had the batteries go dead on me if they start out fully-charged and I had a big tree that took about 30 minutes to cut up this spring. Seems lighter than my Husqvarna (225? rancher?) but that could just be the balance. Oh the other hand I still carry my gas-powered Husqvarna for larger jobs and in case my batteries have gone dead.

Define big, dead tree

12” diameter
16” diameter
soft pine crap or some type hardwood?

Bunch of limbs or all rotted off.

Appreciate the feedback on this, in the process of making my decision betwen the makita and echo

'I have both the Makita 36 and the Echo 58V. The Makita is very light and handy but it doesn't have near as much torque as the Echo 58V.

I like both for different reasons. But for serious cutting the Echo is a lot more saw.

I've taken down several fairly significant trees with the Echo 58V. Keep a sharp chain on the Echo and it'll throw some chips.

Really appreciate that feedback and ++ on the .050 gauge bar at TS

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Look at the reviews at Project Farm on youtube.

The guys does good quality, logical, reviews of a wide variety of things.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Bristo did you purchase from an Amazon retailer? Or a big box, farm store, etc?

I seen Amazon people whining that they got some refurbished batteries and an already used saw on a couple-three reviews. When they got their Echo saws.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Paul, I was hesitant, but bought a Dewalt 20VMax pole saw.

(I have other Dewalt tools, so I had plenty of batteries for it.)

It's a cutting little devil. I can cut more than I want to haul off in just a little while.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The wife wanted a battery powered chainsaw, so we got her a Stihl with a 12” bar. It does a fine job on the small stuff, and I use it a good bit and have learned that it needs to have a sharp chain, in the interest of battery life. But the other day I needed to cut up a downed white Oak for firewood, and I grabbed the Stihl MS250. I had forgotten just what the 250 and a sharp chain can do. Much better than the battery saw. Maybe a bigger battery powered saw would do better.

Prior to getting the MS250, I had a Stihl MS180c with a 14” bar. I’d still have it if I had not accidentally smushed it with my tractor. Great little saw and easy to pull start. When I replaced it, I decided I wanted a bit more power, so got the MS250. But, on small chainsaws, I’d rather have the MS180c than the battery saw, now that I’ve had both.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had one go cordless a few times.
Usually not hard to fix, but can be.

Quit pulling it out to the stop.
Pull it out a little before you shut the saw down.
You will have less trouble with the whole starting mechanism.

😉😉😉

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stihl MSA220C by a mile... used it over 2 years so far and it is the bomb!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Bristo did you purchase from an Amazon retailer? Or a big box, farm store, etc?

I seen Amazon people whining that they got some refurbished batteries and an already used saw on a couple-three reviews. When they got their Echo saws.

I bought the Echo off of my brother. So I don't know what the amazon deal is.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Paul,

I bought a 14" 40 V Ryobi last summer for the place in Idaho, so summer use only. I cleared a dense piece of the property loaded with 4" and under trees. It performed well and was ideal for what I was doing as I'd drop a few trees, haul them to the truck and go again. Electric on/off rules to gas in my experience for this application. We'll see how it goes next summer. I have an 18" Husky when needed.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for these many comments on various cordless saws and components - very educative. The Stihl gas Pro model has been great for all of those years up in the high forest and it will remain, but we are now in high desert so the material is smaller - mostly mesquite for firewood and keeping things trimmed (not much of the latter). The bigger issue is my beat up carcass - thus the focus on saw weight and dependability. I very much appreciate your contributions here.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 603Country
The wife wanted a battery powered chainsaw, so we got her a Stihl with a 12” bar. It does a fine job on the small stuff, and I use it a good bit and have learned that it needs to have a sharp chain, in the interest of battery life. But the other day I needed to cut up a downed white Oak for firewood, and I grabbed the Stihl MS250. I had forgotten just what the 250 and a sharp chain can do. Much better than the battery saw. Maybe a bigger battery powered saw would do better.

Prior to getting the MS250, I had a Stihl MS180c with a 14” bar. I’d still have it if I had not accidentally smushed it with my tractor. Great little saw and easy to pull start. When I replaced it, I decided I wanted a bit more power, so got the MS250. But, on small chainsaws, I’d rather have the MS180c than the battery saw, now that I’ve had both.

A nice thing about a battery powered chainsaw is that you can carry one in your wife's SUV without having to deal with the smell of gasoline. I look at battery powered chainsaws as something you use for small jobs or cutting trees that have fallen across a forest road or trail, but not for more demanding work like cutting firewood or felling trees larger than 10" in diameter.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1936M71, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,291 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,666
Posts18,513,054
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.