Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
Originally Posted by mathman
The water based part was the real question.

That

From what I understand from various folks involved the bore-cleaner biz, straight ammonia is never used. It's always either cut with water, or used in an oil-based solvent.

So how does one tell if it is an oil base or water base?

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
On a visit with Dan Lilja in his shop some years ago, he firmly believes trying to remove ALL powder fouling from a good bore is a bad idea. He's done a lot of experimenting, using his digital bore-scope, which provides a hugely magnifed image, and firmly believes accuracy is better with some powder fouling in the bore--and Lilja barrels are highly rated by many shooters. Last time I checked his website this info was still there, in more detail.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

One type of solvent I do NOT use anymore is water-based ammonia. These definitely can etch bores if left inside a bore even a little too long. This info has been around for at least a couple decades, but too many rifle shooters base their opinion of the effectiveness of solvents on whether they can see copper streaks inside the muzzle.

John, if I may exploit my ignorance, how do you tell if a cleaner is a water-based ammonia?
Thank you in advance

Sometimes, you will get lucky and the ingredient list will be found on the maker's site - but not always. Naturally, they don't want the competition to know exactly what makes up their formulation. Unfortunately for them, disclosure is the law. Still...

The best way to determine what your cleaner is made of is by looking up the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets). Here's an example, Hoppes No 9.

https://www.hoppes.com/on/demandwar...04e3a446-2860-4fdd-9e91-49ea662e5830.pdf

Some MSDS sheets are short and to the point, others less so. Hoppes No 9 goes on for 20 pages. What you want to look for is the ingredient list.

Composition/information on ingredients (starts on page 2) This will also give you the amount of the ingredient (in percent). They are listed from the most to the least in the bottle.

Hoppes formulation is a petroleum based cleaner whose main ingredient is kerosene. According to the sheet, 30 to 60%. Quite the swing. While the primary ingredient is kerosene, the exact proportion is unknown, or perhaps, when they make it, they dump in an approximate amount. smile

Or you can just email the company and ask them for information.

Edited to add: You'd think that MSDS sheets would be standardized, but they aren't. For comparison purposes, I have added the Ballistol MSDS. Regardless, look for the ingredient list.The ingredients will be listed from the most to the least in the container.

https://www.ballistol.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/MSDS_TECH_BIO.pdf

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Thanks JS…..

Have fun.....j3
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by johnw
I am always guilty of undercleaning rifles, and often guilty of overthinking issues.

Will the various copper cleaners also eat up your brass cleaning jags and bronze brushes?

Some can and will give you indicators of blue from the copper which actually are caused by reacting to the brass/bronze of the jags/brushes.

I only use bore tech proof positive jags and hardly ever use a brush. If I do, I use bore tech nylon brushes.

My cleaning starts with Bore Tech carbon remover and then follow with Bore Tech eliminator or copper remover. I also use bore tech cleaning rods and bore guides.

I have a couple of rifles that really shoot well but also foul easily. A little patience and a few extra patches will clean a really dirty bore without brushing. Safe to leave in the barrel overnight too.

Bore Tech is pricey but they always have a black Friday sale.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by johnw
I am always guilty of undercleaning rifles, and often guilty of overthinking issues.

Will the various copper cleaners also eat up your brass cleaning jags and bronze brushes?

Some can and will give you indicators of blue from the copper which actually are caused by reacting to the brass/bronze of the jags/brushes.

No reason to use high powdered copper cleaners everytime you clean your gun....when you do use a high powder copper solvent use a nylon brush.

Study up on your chemistry.Joe....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On a visit with Dan Lilja in his shop some years ago, he firmly believes trying to remove ALL powder fouling from a good bore is a bad idea. He's done a lot of experimenting, using his digital bore-scope, which provides a hugely magnified image, and firmly believes accuracy is better with some powder fouling in the bore--and Lilja barrels are highly rated by many shooters. Last time I checked his website this info was still there, in more detail.

Absolutely! Dan actually got me onto this about 25 years ago with one of his .17 barrels for a big-cased .17 I was doing.

Having done a number of big .17's with other custom barrels, I was used to aggressively cleaning every 20-25 rounds to stay ahead of the accuracy drop off with the Berger 25's @ 4,150 - 4,300 fps (Winter temps). When I took Dan's suggestion and cleaned 'just enough', the barrel would go 50 rounds before needing any attention at all. shocked When I cleaned it aggressively....20-25 rounds and it would start to act up. At that point, I could do a minimal 2 patch-three brush strokes-2 dry patch process and it would go 50 rounds before needing attention. Even a poor white kid like me from the wrong side of the tracks and living in a sod hut on the Northern Plains could connect those dots! grin

I went back and tried this with my other big-cased .17's (Shilen and PacNor barrels) and surprise, surprise (Gomer Pyle-speak wink ), they both did the same thing. Later on, with our .30 cal. BR stuff, we didn't clean until after each yardage. Barrels were a mix of Lilja, Kreiger, PacNor, Kostyshyn, Rock, Lederer and Bartlien.

If it's a 'new to me' used gun, I'll take it down to bare metal with a mixture of brushing, patching and JB then let the barrel tell me how much cleaning it likes as things progress.

Good shootin'. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Small calibers are a different animal Al......A lot of .22 rim fire target shooters never clean their barrels....if they do they have to shoot them back in.

I've never desired a cartridge as small as a .17 if I did I'd occasionally use a bore snake in it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On a visit with Dan Lilja in his shop some years ago, he firmly believes trying to remove ALL powder fouling from a good bore is a bad idea. He's done a lot of experimenting, using his digital bore-scope, which provides a hugely magnifed image, and firmly believes accuracy is better with some powder fouling in the bore--and Lilja barrels are highly rated by many shooters. Last time I checked his website this info was still there, in more detail.

Thanks for the reference to Lilja JB. I went and read it. I'll post links to Lilja comments. Great info! This should be required reading for all barrel cleaning imo.

https://riflebarrels.com/support/centerfire-maintenance/

https://riflebarrels.com/barrel-fouling/

https://riflebarrels.com/support/22-rimfire-maintenance/

GOA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by LFC
Small calibers are a different animal Al......A lot of .22 rim fire target shooters never clean their barrels....if they do they have to shoot them back in.

I've never desired a cartridge as small as a .17 if I did I'd occasionally use a bore snake in it.

LFC,

This applies to all barrels, not just small-caliber barrels. And rimfire barrels (and ammo) are a very different deal than centerfire barrels and ammo.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I recall one barrel maker made rimfire barrels from free machining screw stock. I guess it was because achieving a really good finish was easy and the low pressures and soft bullets didn't need hardened adamantium.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
I recall one barrel maker made rimfire barrels from free machining screw stock. I guess it was because achieving a really good finish was easy and the low pressures and soft bullets didn't need hardened adamantium.

Two barrel makers I know personally told me they use a type of 304 stainless for their rim fire barrels as it's very similar to 12L14 which is widely used for screw stock.

12L14 is an easily machined alloy. It gives a really nice finish if the speeds are anywhere in the ball park. I like it for making inline seating dies. Prior to changing to a type of stainless, L.E.Wilson's seating dies, and seating die blanks, were all made from 12L14....sometimes referred to as 'leaded' steel.

Good shootin'. -Al

Forbidden Zoner
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by kciH
Originally Posted by K22
Tactical Advantage which is made by Wipe Out.

Hands down the best general purpose firearms cleaner ever produced.

Have you ever used any, tell the truth now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This applies to all barrels, not just small-caliber barrels. And rimfire barrels (and ammo) are a very different deal than centerfire barrels and ammo.

Now thats just crazy...talkin' common sense like that! wink

I've got one here that's a good candidate for the Dyna Tek bore coating. I've not used it before but this one will be a good test subject as it lays down copper like crazy. I've got it JB'd (again) down to bare metal now.....will stick a Teslong in it now and then again after coating and shooting. Any thoughts on the Dyna stuff appreciated.

Thanks! -Al

Forbidden Zoner
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by LFC

LFC,

You kinda lost me there it sounds like you pretty much said what I said....

Were you trying to say that bigger bores need to be shot in like .22s ?

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

I've got one here that's a good candidate for the Dyna Tek bore coating. I've not used it before but this one will be a good test subject as it lays down copper like crazy. I've got it JB'd (again) down to bare metal now.....will stick a Teslong in it now and then again after coating and shooting. Any thoughts on the Dyna stuff appreciated.

Thanks! -Al

Al one minute your bitching about too much copper in your barrel next minute you claiming barrels need to be dirty to shoot good....

Boy oh bOy...

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Teslong Bore scopes that plug into an old lap top, i phone, smart tablets are $80.

If your method is not verified with a bore scope, you are beyond clueless as hard carbon does not show black on patches.

When a guy says this and that chemical method works well, you need to know:

# of grains of powder fired in-between cleanings

How fast the gun was fired

factory or custom barrel(smoothness in the bore)

In other words, put your cleaning method in perspective so others can understand.

I have everything that Bore tec sells, Montana extreme, Shooters choice, Old and new Hoppes, Witch's Brew, and others. The bronze bristle brush on it's first 50 strokes is the most important thing to know about getting carbon out of a barrel. Change brushes often.

Teslong bore scopes do away with the Voo Doo magic of this and that solvent in gun cleaning. Buy yourself a Teslong bore scope and become your own expert for your application in shooting. There is a LOT of Snake Oil being sold out there when it comes to bore solvents to remove carbon...copper is the easy stuff to get out...as a rule.

Last edited by keith; 12/14/21.
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My sentimates exactly.....I dont have a bore scope so I just read my patch.

Only thing I would add is what ever "Snake Oil" you choose be sure and keep the bore and brush wet with it when brushing.

I always tilt my muzzle down a little when I'm cleaning when I see it dripping out "Snake Oil" I know its wet enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

Thanks! -Al

IME, DBC has been a game-changer. It goes in all my bores.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by shaman
I'm a big fan of Ed's Red. It's a DIY. The basic recipe is here:

http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm

Normally, I go light on the acetone, but add extra back in if I'm dealing with plastic residue in a shotgun barrel.

My preferred way to clean is to put a drenched patch down the barrel and then let it sit, the longer the better. After that, I just need to slide a couple of patches down and it all comes clean.

Most of my well-used rifles also have DBC in them as well.

How much acetone do you use? Or do you just leave it out completely unless dealing with plastic residue?

Thanks

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (160user, 22250rem, 1minute, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,539 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,479
Posts18,490,041
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.