Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thinking I need a three or four foot one-man cross cut saw for cutting up firewood rounds when car camping.
Already have chainsaw, bow saw, and axes. A crosscut saw with an assist handle is what I'm after. Thinking three or four feet long as the logs I'll be cutting are probably 15 in or less.
This will be used on softwoods exclusively. Pine, fir, juniper, and spruce.

What do I need to know?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Use a chainsaw

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mbhunt
Use a chainsaw

Smartass answer!

I concur.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I had a lot of hours on one working trails as a youngun and had good old time mentors. The saw is not as important as the ability to know how to care for it and sharpen it. A dull or improperly filed saw will work you to death. The USFS provided us with Disston's, good steel and would hold a sharpening a long time. One aside, avoid Juniper, it grows where there is sand and wind, and it's stringy bark holds the sand. It can dull a saw in a heartbeat, especially if it's growing next to a road or dusty trail.
By the way, just a single D handle or detachable round handle is all you need IMO. Every saw I seen that came with a bullprick (what you call an assist?) was removed and lost...on purpose?

Last edited by flintlocke; 12/14/21.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Eat your wheaties?grin

If you can find one, make sure the blade is free of rust, and is sharp or you can sharpen it.

Something else to consider if you can't find the type of saw you are looking for, check with a store like Murdochs or some other store that sales horse riding and packing supplies. You might be able to find a pack saw about the size you are wanting. The typically come with a scabbard too, which helps protect the saw and anything it may come in contact with during transport.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Electric - if you’re looking for stealth mode.
or
Silky Katanaboy

Last edited by Stammster; 12/14/21.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
This is a good one:

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Are they made new?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Frankly, a collapsible bow saw is your best bet. For a Misery Whip, you'd want a 4 footer (which takes up a lot of space in a car), and definitely need a spider gauge (gets the proper offset on the teeth), a raker gauge with the right hammer, and some proper files. A dull, improperly set crosscut saw is nothing but torture. I don't think you want to go with a crosscut.
RB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by longarm
Thinking I need a three or four foot one-man cross cut saw for cutting up firewood rounds when car camping.
Already have chainsaw, bow saw, and axes. A crosscut saw with an assist handle is what I'm after. Thinking three or four feet long as the logs I'll be cutting are probably 15 in or less.
This will be used on softwoods exclusively. Pine, fir, juniper, and spruce.

What do I need to know?

Longarm, I have an old 4 feet cross cut saw that my great uncle owned. it was passed down to me years ago It is in good condition. I had it sharpened professionally but I've never used it. It's hanging on the wall out in my storage room. It's a name brand but I'll have to go out tomorrow and see who manufactured it. It has the assist handle on it, too. (I'm guessing it's a Disson, but am not sure.)

If you're living close to Idaho, you might think of driving over here to Boise and picking it up. $30.00, cash money on the barrelhead. wink I do not want to try and ship it.

If you're interested, send me a P.M. here.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For the bulk and aggravation, I'd stick with two stroke CHAINSAWS. Even a small one with 16 inch baby bar will blow past even the nicest Disston, kept the sharpest by the crustiest old hand-faller. And those hand saws require skill, practice and good joints.
I suppose you could try a battery pack chainsaw that charges off 12 volts but......

If you really want to do this, find a forestry supply shop and ask around. Or a college with a "Timbersports" team. But gosh, I'll never hand-saw again.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Find someone to sharpen and set teeth, then learn to do it. I found a guy at a old time homestead reenactment and another one at a fur trade rendezvous reenactment. After watching and asking questions and seen what everything is supposed to look like sharpened and set, I learned to do it myself.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by roundoak; 12/14/21.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Dad never owned a chainsaw. But he did own one of those 6' or 7' two man cross cut saws. I spent the summer of my fifteenth birthday helping him saw up a grove of 24 inch caliper black locust which had been pushed over and around on a sand hill with a D-8 Cat.

The bark was full of sand, and we had to deal with the root balls. But Dad was bound and determined to turn that pile of trees into fence posts.

Yes, as soon as I turned of age, I bought a chainsaw. I have not and will not ever pull on another crosscut saw.

The farm was sold in 1984, but you can still drive past and see those fifty year old locust corner posts anchoring the fence lines.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cool thread Longarm.

Good luck with your search. You have any trips scheduled to E OR? If so, looks like Leanwolf might be your huckleberry.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fubarski
This is a good one:

I was thinking of Albert:

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Fubarski
This is a good one:

I was thinking of Albert:

That's the best one.

L
longarm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Appreciate the input fellas. Great pic there, roundoak.

Leanwolf, I'll send you a PM in just a sec. Thank you for your generosity, friend.

Took a couple of horses into Sisters Wilderness this November, about 5800' camp with quite a bit of snow. Stayed a week, cutting our firewood for the wood stove with a saw as I described (but longer). I might be the odd man out, but I genuinely enjoyed it! Thinking that and an ax will stow much more readily in my truck for spring and summer camps than say a chainsaw.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Good tune

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I don't know if it's been said. The first thing you need to know about the cross cut saw, is how to sharpen and keep touched up! If not you'll work your butt off.
I have been carrying one for thirty years, always in the pickup. Mostly for cutting blow downs out of roads! Just looked at saw, I'm thinking it reads Simons, it's hard to make out, it's old and been used!

Last edited by Heym06; 12/14/21.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.