Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Moving this over from the General Big Game forum and try here:

Thought I'd pick the brains of the collective and see what people here would consider the ideal hand gun/cartridge for all around hunting and multi day excursions without a rifle. However I'm gonna put some parameters on the pick. Gun can't weigh more than 3.5 lbs, all up sans loaded ammo, no scopes(iron sights only) and must be a repeater ie revolver or automatic. This obviously forfeits so called hand cannons like the xp100 bolt guns etc and TC contenders.

At present my pick is the Ruger Bisley I have in 45 Colt that sports a 5.5" barrel shooting 300 gr. hardcast between 1100-1250 FPS. Mine weighs in at 2lbs 13oz empty, plenty accurate for big game and packs nice in either belt or shoulder holster.

This combo should have enough punch out to 125-150 yrds if one has practiced and proven their competence in making hits when appropriate. I've killed one WT doe at 80 yrds. with this combo so proven in my mind. I'd also add that in the off chance of the occurrence of a zombie apocalypse, if not making direct hits one could at least scare said zombies into keeping their heads down at distances beyond the 150 yrds mentioned above and following Elmer Keiths lead, walking projectiles into ranges of 300-400 yrd.

So what ya got?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I carry a 5.5” Bisley Hunter in 44 magnum if I’m serious about handgun hunting. I keep the loads around 1200fps or a little less regardless of bullet weight. With a good rest and plenty of time I’d feel comfortable shooting a deer at 75 yards or so.

Just knocking around outdoors I generally have a handgun and it may be a 22, 32mag, 9mm, 10mm, 45Acp, 38 special or 357 magnum. I’ve used all of them when the need arose to kill pigs, coyotes, turkeys, and other stuff.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hard to beat a 5.5” barreled Ruger Bisley in either 45 Colt or 44 Mag. I use Hard Cast LBT designed WFN bullets from 240 to 280 grains driven at about 1100 FPS.

Although I’ve killed a ton of hogs at the Ranch with the same bullets at 950 To 1000 FPS.

If I’m hunting with a semiautomatic pistol, it’s usually either a Glock 20 10mm or Kimber 1911 in 10mm. With Buffalo Bore 220 grain Hard Cast Factory Load.

I’ve also killed a lot of hogs with a customized Springfield 1911 in 45 acp using a 240 & 250 grain LBT WFN Hard Cast bullet at 900 To 950 FPS.

All of the above work very well on big feral hogs and TX sized deer. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them on Black Bear, if I had the opportunity. I mostly carried the Glock 20 in 10mm when bow hunting in bear country. Mainly because of the 15 + 1 Capacity, though. And, of course, loaded with the 220 gr Buffalo Boar Hard Cast Factory Load.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 12/14/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 Mag.

I use a 170 grain hollow point for deer and the 210's if they might be needed.

And also shoot cast bullets.

I shoot the same in my Marlin rifle too.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've got a Bisley Super Blackhawk, 44 Mag, 7.5" barrel.

Bought it for a range revolver, and if I ever decided to hunt with a handgun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My all 'round handgun is a S&W 66 with 4" barrel. When walking around outside of deer season it is loaded with relatively soft 158 gr wadcutters. This combo has accounted for many grouse, squirrels (mostly red/pine squirrels), fox, coyotes, porcupines, skunks, raccoons, and whatever else that needed shooting. It packs well and it has been very accurate for over the last 40 years.

During deer season it gets loaded with gets loaded with a hard cast, same weight bullet. I have not shot a deer with it during the season but it has accounted for a couple dozen car hit deer back in the day. I have killed two black bears with this combo though neither one was planned. They weren't very big either, around 200 pounds live weight.

As a strictly hunting gun I would pick my 357 mag Ruger Blackhawk with 6.5" barrel loaded with 180 gr Buffalo Bore Bear Loads. It is what I carry when checking/replenishing bear baits. I have not shot anything with it other than a couple of skunks and raccoons.

Outside of hunting season my main knockabout gun is a S&W 617 or 22 caliber Ruger Blackhawk. It is a little light for coyotes but I don't see them often where/when I would choose one of these. I easily can throw a 100 or a couple 50 round boxes in the pocket for a little impromptu plinking. The Ruger with the 22 mag cylinder makes a better grouse and pest gun than anything in 22 LR but it is louder/sharper.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I prefer my N frame Smiths in .41 and .44 magnum.

I use a Glock 20 a lot for knocking around, would hunt with it without reservations, just prefer the S&W’s for primary hunting guns.

I have .357 mags, but prefer the more decisive nature of the.41’s and .44’s for hunting.

I have a .500 S&W but wouldn’t care to ruck it around a lot and it’s just too much noise and confusion when it goes off.

Not a big fan of single action revolvers. Got a few, just not a fan.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I was going to say a 5” S&W 460 XVR.....but, it exceeded your weight limit by 5 ounces, and then there’s the 5 rounds! However, if this is “my” carry handgun.....this is my handgun!

Actually I’m looking for one now......my 8 3/8” XVR needs some companionship! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You said, "no scopes," are red dots fair play? smile

Ed Brown LS10mm

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

That’d work just fine.
Bought my first big bore handgun, a Ruger Super BlackHawk, in 44 Mag with the 7.5” bbl back when I was in HS to shoot Silhouette Competition with.
It’s taken many hogs and a few deer too.
Of course, Ruger didn’t make a Bisley back in 1978.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Hard to beat a 5.5” barreled Ruger Bisley in either 45 Colt or 44 Mag. I use Hard Cast LBT designed WFN bullets from 240 to 280 grains driven at about 1100 FPS.

Although I’ve killed a ton of hogs at the Ranch with the same billets at 950 To 1000 FPS.

If I’m hunting with a semiautomatic pistol, it’s usually either a Glock 20 10mm or Kimber 1911 in 10mm. With Buffalo Bore 220 grain Hard Cast Factory Load.

I’ve also killed a lot of hogs with a customized Springfield 1911 in 45 acp using a 240 & 250 grain LBT WFN Hard Cast bullet at 900 To 950 FPS.

All of the above work very well on big feral hogs and TX sized deer. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them on Black Bear, if I had the opportunity. I mostly carried the Glock 20 in 10mm when bow hunting in bear country. Mainly because of the 15 + 1 Capacity, though. And, of course, loaded with the 220 gr Buffalo Boar Hard Cast Factory Load.

I've heard of feeding issues with those BB 220 gr. Sounds like you aren't having any. After market barrel? Just lucky?

I'm also envious of your pig hunting opportunities that are lacking here in MT.
To have live targets with no bag limit and able to hunt year round would be near heaven for handgun fun.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

That's how my Bisley started out, I then had the barrel trimmed to 5.5", put in a Belt Mtn. base pin and Bowen Arms heavy duty rear sight.
That wood looks very nice for factory, mine not so much.

Last edited by SBTCO; 12/14/21.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SBTCO

Although I’ve killed a ton of hogs at the Ranch with the same billets at 950 To 1000 FPS.

I've heard of feeding issues with those BB 220 gr. Sounds like you aren't having any. After market barrel? Just lucky?

To have live targets with no bag limit and able to hunt year round would be near heaven for handgun fun.

Factory barrels on both my Glock 20 and Kimber 1911 in 10mm. No feeding issues whatsoever.
And unfortunately, I could kill a pig every other day or so and not make a serious dent in the population.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by skeen
You said, "no scopes," are red dots fair play? smile

Ed Brown LS10mm

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pretty nice!
I've debated on the red dot, probably better for older eyes but I just can't get over the battery thing, I'm old school curmudgeon.
What kind of speeds are you getting out of that long slide/barrel combo?

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

That’d work just fine.
Bought my first big bore handgun, a Ruger Super BlackHawk, in 44 Mag with the 7.5” bbl back when I was in HS to shoot Silhouette Competition with.
It’s taken many hogs and a few deer too.
Of course, Ruger didn’t make a Bisley back in 1978.

My first handgun, was the same as yours, also bought in 1978.

Along the way I cut it back to 4 5/8", added a Belt Mtn locking pin, Bowen rear sight, and a steel ejector rod housing,

It's still a solid revolver and could be a hunter too, but I'd favor the longer sight radius on the 7.5"

The Dragoon triggerguard is kind of a hint that it was once a 7.5".

Last edited by MontanaMarine; 12/14/21.
S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S

Factory barrels on both my Glock 20 and Kimber 1911 in 10mm. No feeding issues whatsoever.
And unfortunately, I could kill a pig every other day or so and not make a serious dent in the population.

Nice, I've run 200's in my G20 but haven't tried the 220's as of yet.

I here you on the porcine population, target rich at the expense of the natural environment.

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At present my pick is the Ruger Bisley I have in 45 Colt that sports a 5.5" barrel shooting 300 gr. hardcast between 1100-1250 FPS. Mine weighs in at 2lbs 13oz empty, plenty accurate for big game and packs nice in either belt or shoulder holster.

So what ya got?

I've got pretty much the same as you. 5.5" Ruger Bisley .45 Colt. 315 gr hardcast at 1000 fps.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Waders

So what ya got?

I've got pretty much the same as you. 5.5" Ruger Bisley .45 Colt. 315 gr hardcast at 1000 fps.

That's a really nice mix of size/power/balance in a revolver.

S
SBTCO Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Waders

So what ya got?

That's a really nice mix of size/power/balance in a revolver.

I may have to find some of that powder coat. Nothing like shooting Marylin Monroe Lipstick at 1k fps!

― G. Orwell

_Eileen Clarke

- Alexander Hamilton

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
For starters, both the gun and cartridge needs to be something you can comfortably hit with at the specified range limit.

Next, you probably want the bullet to work well, or at least consistently, over that entire specified range. Sure, there are bullets that readily expand inside certain velocity windows, but may be less than ideal outside of them.

For general big game hunting, I think most can handle cartridges like the 9mms and 38s well with bullets above 150 grains and provided bullets are up to the task, are a start or even ending for some.

I like to be a bit above that and like a 40 or larger. I'm most content with wheelguns in the 4-5.5 inch barrels because I'm average height and like to carry on the hip. I've used barrels fro 6 to 8, but they aren't handy. I also don't like the brass chasing required as a 38 Super and 10mm owner, albeit they can be fun on occasion.

The cartridge can be a 41,44 or 45, single or double action, but I do need decent target sights. They all seem to work well for deer and hogs.

For my purposes, I like my hunting loads to be the same thing I'd shoot targets or a pop can with, so they are generally fairly wide cast bullets above 1,000 fps but not anything above 1,200, simply because for game under a hundred yards and certainly any target doesn't require more. I've hunted with loads with heavies beyond 1400 and really have seen little, if any increase in killing effect. If you can handle them without missing a step, they do offer a flatter trajectory that aids in hitting, but limits most with round counts on the range as far as fatigue.

I'm in a Smith N frame/Colt Anaconda stage that I haven't seen the need to leave, 41 Mag to 45 Colt cartridges, 220-280gr. cast bullets at 1000-1150 velocity range with 4-5 inch barrels.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (1minute, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 257Bob, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 12,957 guests, and 1,084 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,271
Posts18,544,964
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.