-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pints, seems like you've gotten good advice here from those that have actually used the 6.5CM/6.5x55 on elk and moose.

Of course, the Campfire being what it is, you've also gotten a fair chair of surmising (aka guessing), egoism/narcissism, and plain stupidity.

I often marvel that just because someone owns a 6.5 CM (or any cartridge) they somehow believe that gives them the authority to give advice on a game animal they've never taken with the round. I equate 6.5x55 experience as same/same. However, a 9.3x62/338 WM/ 300 Mag, etc., are not the same. Crazy concept, right?

I've owned sever 6.5 CM's, and have loaded and shot a variety of bullets into paper from it, but I've never taken one head of game with the round. Guess what? I don't have an opinion based on experience, and therefore have refrained from commenting.

What I've done instead is waded through the BS, noted the opinions of those with experience, and tucked away the info for the future. Am I special because of that? No, just endeavored to act like an adult... sigh.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
What bullets do when they hit an animal is fact.

Yes, but judging by your last few posts, your description of what bullets do is not fact. It’s a guess, and based on very shaky ground, at that.

Nope, it's facts and that's what has the clowns all upset, because they can't opine against facts. Animals were shot. Barnes and target bullets failed. Those are the facts. Now, if you decide you want to shoot one of the bullets that failed, that's your opinion, and your choice. Lots of people are born losers and love to do whatever doesn't work. You may be one of those people. That's the way some people are. Have at it smile

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Well, speaking of facts…..

I have shot exactly one large bodied mule deer with a Barnes TSX bullet. He fell over dead in his tracks and had a small entry hole and a much larger exit wound. Unscientific at best with a sample size of 1.

However, the last 5 elk and 2 mule deer that I shot with 7mm and .300 Wby using Barnes TTSX’s went right down DRT or traveled distances measured in a few feet. Hunting partners using the same bullets have had similar results.
Before I used TTSX’s, Trophy Bonded Bear Claws did the heavy lifting until they turned to unobtainium.

Them there’s the facts, bud.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I guess I just wonder in what world a well built bullet from the CM wouldn’t be okay for moose or elk out to 300 yards. But as Brad said, I haven’t shot either with a CM, only deer.

When my daughter or young son draw their first elk tag I’m betting they’ll have a 6.5 or 7mm of some sort and I’d bet they’ll do okay. Just like my older son did with his 7x57 and 150 Partitions.

Last edited by beretzs; 12/16/21.

Semper Fi
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by beretzs
I guess I just wonder in what world a well built bullet from the CM wouldn’t be okay for moose or elk out to 300 yards. But as Brad said, I haven’t shot either with a CM, only deer.

When my daughter or young kinds draw their first elk tag I’m betting they’ll have a 6.5 or 7mm of some sort and I’d bet they’ll do okay. Just like my older son did with his 7x57 and 150 Partitions.

Exactly!

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nice small sample. While he's generally an idiot, Mule Deer is right that many hunters don't understand statistics. You're one of them. I've seen 10+ bullet failures a year for decades. It's pretty obvious what's failing, and it is a statistically valid sample although collected as a natural experiment rather than a controlled one, And Barnes monos are one of the frequent failures. Match bullets are the other. You'd be better off with a Core Lokt than either probably, but since it's an expensive hunt don't be a clown and buy some TBBC/Terminal Ascents or A-Frames or Northforks.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
[quote=Mule Deer]

Please explain exactly how you determined all this from "animals that weren't recovered at the end of November lying around on the ground":

1) What bullet was used. Did you dig around and find the bullet? If so, some photos would (again) help.
2) Did you necropsy the elk to determine if the bullet "penciled through" or was a "blowup"?

More than one of us would like to know how many animals have you shot--or even seen shot--with Barnes bullets. I ask this because of considerable experience with them in calibers from .224 to .375, in several countries, on animals up to 1500 pounds. Once again, your credibility would increase if you could provide actual data and photos, instead of blanket-statement generalities, especially when they conflict with the long field experience of many other hunters.

[/quote

Are you serious? This has been going on for decades. The X bullet has been out since the late 80s or early 90s but it really got going in the mid to late 90s when the Californians became more numerous.

Some animals were on family land. Some were on neighbors. Some were recovered by what was then DOW, now P&W. Depending on where they are we leave them or get then with the front end loader. If we pick them up or the wound is on the up side and shallow it's easy to see what happened. Got a 3" deep wound on a rib? That's a Berger or SMK. Got a .309 entry and exit and an outfitter calling you from across the road? That's a Barnes. It's really not that hard to figure out.

The bullets that have consistently performed the best are the A-Frame, TBBC series, and Northfork. All three have reliable expansion with a soft lead nose, and a mechanical structure that stops expasion, plus bonding to ensure weight is retained. The second tier is the Partition, Accubond, and Weldcore. They shed more weight than is desirable but generally work OK especially if you go heavy.

It's interesting how many people have a stick up their ass about the facts of which bullets do and don't work well on elk. Meanwhile those of us who see the carnage every year just shake our heads laugh

Ah. Argue with a gun writer doing this for years. Makes sense.

And the SMK are crap now too? Granted they aren't 100% same results every last shot but they have been much more reliable than SGK.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Re: 7 Mag vs 270 Win [Re: Seafire] #12056628 05/27/17 05:55 AM
Online Content
Llama_Bob
Campfire Regular
L
We're talking about two very similar cartridges. .0.007" difference in bore diameter and both long action. There are a few differences. The most notable is twist rate - 1:10" for .270 vs. 1:9.5" for 7mm mag typically. That may not seem like much, but it does mean the heaviest flat base bullet that is all-altitude/temp stable in .270 is the 150gr, whereas in the 7mm mag it's the 175gr. Elk are pretty good sized critters (400 to 750 lbs generally, up to more than 1000 for Roosevelt elk). You'd really like pass through bullet performance on side and quartering shots. That means sectional density is a good thing, and that gives a small but noticeable edge to the 7mm mag.

While both cartridges have similar velocities for similar weights when loaded to SAAMI max, .270 is generally not loaded to max in commercial ammo. That's because .270 relies on higher pressure, while 7RM relies on case capacity. Manufacturers are leery of pushing the pressure envelope in the .270 and load it down.

For your friend, my take is you would see very little difference between the 160 7mm partition and the 150 .270 partition as they have very similar sectional densities. But you might see some improvement moving up to the 175 class in 7mm. I would also look at using the A-frame instead of the partition. The partition shines in situations where impact velocity may be low - the soft lead tip will open up well below 2000 ft/s. But at higher velocities it sheds a lot of mass which reduces penetration. The A-frame is bonded and has a harder front section. It needs an impact velocity of at least 2100 ft/s, but won't shed much mass no matter how fast your drive it and pretty much guarantees an exit wound (and thus something to track if need be) on elk. For that reason I like A-Frames. I shoot the 175 A-Frame in a 7RM on elk and have had excellent results. I used to use the 175 partition, and had good results but not as good.

I haven't used the Barnes and can't speak to them, but they're well thought of. A 150gr barnes in .270 is probably not all-altitude/temp stable - too long.

Either will work, but if the 7RM doesn't beat him up I would definitely have a preference that way.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 05/27/17 05:56 AM.

In 2017 you posted you haven't used the Barnes and can't speak to them.... But now you have seen examples of all models of Barnes bullets fail to expand and pencil through..... And you claim to have extensive knowledge of barnes failures by examining shot and lost elk that you found.... crazy

Use whatever makes you happy but the information you spew as fact is simply not accurate and unbelievable.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WAM

When my daughter or young kinds draw their first elk tag I’m betting they’ll have a 6.5 or 7mm of some sort and I’d bet they’ll do okay. Just like my older son did with his 7x57 and 150 Partitions.

Exactly!

I believe bullets know if the shooter is big or small and they act accordingly. Cause they work fine for the smaller folks and like [bleep] for full grown barrel Chested, freedom loving men. At least that’s what I hear.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
Please elaborate with your experience how you deem a bullet did not expand?.

When you eventually find the animal with a pencil hole through the chest/shoulders after being shot with a Barnes product, that's called not expanding. It's really not that complicated. The bullets of course are long gone but the bore diameter exit wound tells the story.

The animals were all elk with the exception of one mule deer.

Bob, I would cheerfully pay the tuition required to attend your 500 level course -
Forensic Identification of Unrecovered Projectiles.
And am sure the FBI would be interested in sending techs to further their education.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by aheider

blather

I already said I don't use them. You have a reading comprehension problem?

Also, I never said I've seen "all models" more crap you made up. When you see a pencil wound yeah it's a Barnes and sometime you find out from the outfitter which one. But sometimes all you know is it's yet another Barnes failure, not whether it's a X or TSX or TTSX or LRX.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 12/16/21.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by mark shubert
[

Bob, I would cheerfully pay the tuition required to attend your 500 level course -
Forensic Identification of Unrecovered Projectiles.
And am sure the FBI would be interested in sending techs to further their education.

Here's another clown with a reading comprehension problem. I already explained that often you find out what outfitter is missing an elk and what bullet was used. Their guys aren't shooting FMJ, so when you see a pencil wound it's Barnes. This really isn't that complicated.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 12/16/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Here's another clown with a reading comprehension problem. I already explained that often you find out what outfitter is missing an elk. Their guys aren't shooting FMJ, so when you see a pencil wound it's Barnes. This really isn't that complicated.

A truism in life is when everyone - and I DO mean everyone - thinks you're a fool, it might be time for some self-assessment...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Brad

Here's another clown with a reading comprehension problem. I already explained that often you find out what outfitter is missing an elk. Their guys aren't shooting FMJ, so when you see a pencil wound it's Barnes. This really isn't that complicated.

A truism in life is when everyone - and I DO mean everyone - thinks you're a fool, it might be time for some self-assessment...

You think whatever the hell you like. I'll keep laughing at your sorry ass and watching you dance and we'll go from there laugh

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Things I have learned from Llama Bob in the past few weeks:

All Barnes bullets typically fail to expand
Nosler Accubonds and Partions are tier 2 bullets
The 30-06 is an inferior hunting cartridge
The 6.5x55 is slightly less inferior than the 30-06
NULA rifles are a terrible design
Mule Deer is generally an idiot
Simulation and load to velocity is a better way of load development than using manuals

I can't wait for today's lesson.

🤣

Last edited by CarolinaHunter; 12/16/21.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
LB, off topic but where the hell are you finding this stash of Terminal Ascents and TLR’s cause I think they’re great bullets as well but I haven’t seen any for sale in quite awhile now.

And I’d wonder how doing an examination of an elk shot in October shows much of anything after rotting for a solid month in the mountains that’s really identifiable let alone being able to stand close enough to one really dig and lift on them.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
6 of those 7 are obviously correct. One you failed at reading comprehension. Good to hear you're learning though.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
LB, off topic but where the hell are you finding this stash of Terminal Ascents and TLR’s cause I think they’re great bullets as well but I haven’t seen any for sale in quite awhile now.

And I’d wonder how doing an examination of an elk shot in October shows much of anything after rotting for a solid month in the mountains that’s really identifiable let alone being able to stand close enough to one really dig and lift on them.

I haven't seen any TLRs in a while - my understanding is they're discontinued. I have a large stash though. The TAs, I just have an alert at every vendor and occasionally search gunbroker. They pop up from time to time.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Brad

Llama_Bob suffers from Dunning-Kruger effect.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
This always baffles me with cartridges as well.

A 6.5 , .243, etc. is sufficient for women and kids, but a full grown man should use nothing short of a .338, etc.

I believe bullets know if the shooter is big or small and they act accordingly. Cause they work fine for the smaller folks and like [bleep] for full grown barrel Chested, freedom loving men. At least that’s what I hear.

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 007FJ, 51 invisible), 2,260 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,036
Posts18,500,720
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.