Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Is Llamabob perhaps ElkSlayer’s sock puppet?

They are both overly confident in there pronouncements, and are both generally FOS.

LB, Old Toot, ElkSlayer.....likely all the same.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Nope, but keep trying laugh It's highly amusing when you clowns dance!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
Y'all really are very amusing.

There's a reason Barnes keeps redesigning the X bullet, and it's because word gets out about the previous design.

Now, if you want to use them be my guest. They probably work right about 95% of the time and can be good when the twist rate on a gun won't allow heavy bullets but you still need deep penetration or the bullet you want isn't available. They work better in high velocity guns than in slow ones.

But don't pretend they don't fail, because not only have I seen 10s of failures, but it's been pretty well documented across the industry.

Light Barnes are as long as some heavy lead bullets.

Has nothing to do with twist not allowing a heavy bullet. If it won't stabilize a heavy cup n core/lead bullet it may not stabilize a long mono bullet.

Only seen em "redesign" the X bullet twice.

TSX then TTSX.

Same could be said for other manufacturers when they bring out a different line of bullets.

As far as "failures" go. Unrecoverable animals don't count because who knows if or how they were hit and if removed the bullet may not have performed as expected but a dead animal is hard to argue with, sometimes schitt just happens.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 12/16/21.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

TSX then TTSX.

You forgot the LRX that everyone is convinced will somehow fix all the problems with the other 3 designs.

Try to keep up here laugh

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's a long range bullet.

Long Range X.

Same with Long Range Accubond, ELD bullets and so forth.

Enhanced B.C. is what all of these have in common.

You try to keep up.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
It's their 4th attempt to create a bullet that opens reliably. Even Barnes admits that in their marketing. Keep dancing clown laugh

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Y'all really are very amusing.

There's a reason Barnes keeps redesigning the X bullet, and it's because word gets out about the previous design.

Now, if you want to use them be my guest. They probably work right about 95% of the time and can be good when the twist rate on a gun won't allow heavy bullets but you still need deep penetration or the bullet you want isn't available. They work better in high velocity guns than in slow ones.

But don't pretend they don't fail, because not only have I seen 10s of failures, but it's been pretty well documented across the industry.

FWIW they have not redesigned the X in years

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by rost495

FWIW they have not redesigned the X in years

Sure they did - the latest attempt was in 2011 with the LRX.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have shot a lot of moose. I have only seen a couple instances where an 'X' bullet penciled through (a 150gn 270 Win and a 225gn 338 Win mag, neither were mine but hunting partners. This was in the early to mid 1990's.

We attributed this to pinched nose cavity due to handling , especially if the ammo was dropped on the ground.

Our group has probably shot ~70 moose and a few elk over the decades.

In the last 8 years we generally switched to Accubonds, seem to make more positive kills.

In the 6.5 CM my 1st choice would be the 127 LRX or 2nd 130gn Accubond.

The 'X' bullet really shines in the smaller calibers and higher velocities.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Axtell
I have shot a lot of moose. I have only seen a couple instances where an 'X' bullet penciled through (a 150gn 270 Win and a 225gn 338 Win mag, neither were mine but hunting partners. This was in the early to mid 1990's.

Shhh... the X bullets never fail! They don't have a well known failure mechanism that the company has been trying to correct for 30 years. You'll get the clowns dancing if you keep saying stuff like that laugh

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Shhh... the X bullets never fail! They don't have a well known failure mechanism that the company has been trying to correct for 30 years. You'll get the clowns dancing if you keep saying stuff like that laugh

I figure the 'X' bullet , with only 2 known pencil throughs, and no loss of an animal in approximately 30 years with them, not too bad in performance.

As the bore size goes down and the velocity goes up , the 'X' bullet is hard to beat, accurate too! Can't say that with some others.

Anyway get used to the mono's for hunting, as many jurisdictions have or contemplating banning lead.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
[quote=Llama_Bob]
I figure the 'X' bullet , with only 2 known pencil throughs, and no loss of an animal in approximately 30 years with them, not too bad in performance.

We have different expectations then. I expect a bullet to be designed correctly and not fail. What you're describing is basically the 5% failure rate I estimated based on what I've seen.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by goalie

I have more than one 6.5 man-bun. Love the caliber. But it isn't on my list to use for shooting through a bull elk's shoulder.

Based on?

Based on me having "bigger" rifles that I shoot well.

😉

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

Interesting thread. I would just add the 155 Lapua Mega to the list. Mega has a really well designed mechanical lock to keep it together.

Interesting post on an interesting bullet.... I'm looking for something other than the Hornady 160 round nose for some shorter range hunting that needs penetration from hard angles. Thanks for bringing this one to my attention!

I'm no elk or moose expert, but, if you want to not worry about "hard angle" shots, why not use a caliber where you don't have to worry about "hard angle" shots?

I have more than one 6.5 man-bun. Love the caliber. But it isn't on my list to use for shooting through a bull elk's shoulder.

I was looking at it for deer. I understand it's an Elk & Moose thread. The specific bullet mentioned grabbed my interest as it fits something that was on my mind....but not the mind of the thread, sorry for the derail.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[quote=Llama_Bob]

We have different expectations then. I expect a bullet to be designed correctly and not fail. What you're describing is basically the 5% failure rate I estimated based on what I've seen.

How are no lost animals a failure?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Penciling through is a failure. Whether the animal is then lost depends on a lot of other factors. But it's a bullet failure at that point.

If you want to use bullets that fail, you know what to buy. Get on it.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So what bullet/bullets do you recommend for elk or any other game animals?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For elk sized animals, I would recommend the A-Frame, TBBC/TA line, or Northfork softs. Pick one with a SD of 0.3 ideally, at least 0.27.

Personally for my .375 WSM I use the 300gr A-Frame. For my .300 WSM I use the 200gr TA.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Is Llamabob perhaps ElkSlayer’s sock puppet?

Can't be.

Elkslayer "is far from stupid."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I've killed and guided a LOT of elk hunts. I've seen pretty much every bullet used except maybe some of the new fangled long range stuff.

I have see "X" bullets in 25-06 and 270 Win fail to expand. I've recover 2 of the 25s and one 270. Never any large ones. They are easier on meat than many other bullets.

For the most part they work as advertised. They don't kill as quickly as many other bullet because they don't upset as much. Simple physics.

Back to the OP question. I would use a 140 Partition or 140 Sierra game king. Both have served me well elk hunting with a 260 Remington which is the ballistic twin of the CM.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 6MMWASP, 10gaugemag, 9 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 791 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,662
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.