Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Riflecrank

[Linked Image]

Shorter barrel would give greater wall thickness at the muzzle, of course.
Shortened to 20" it would be about 0.700" diameter at the muzzle,
handy but obnoxious to shoot.

Can you tell me about the front sight please?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That front sight is a CZ 550 Magnum front sight that I beat off the donor barrel with a propane torch and a hammer and large screwdriver used as punch.
I cut off the rear of the ramp where I had beaten it, polished and cold-blued the cut end.
Then I hammered it onto the McGowen barrel using J-B Weld as grease.
Patridge insert is from NECG, where you can also get different heights of the original CZ factory bead iinsert.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

... if his cheek bones are not too broad to use iron sights.
Stock is better for scope use.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I asked the same question regarding what iron sight I should put on my 3575 Whelen AI. I got the same advice as what Rifle rank wrote. I am very happy with it.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would love to have that sight on a few lever actions.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Mike78, the NECG front sights are pretty similar and easy to install yourself.
:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15288546/1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Mike78, the NECG front sights are pretty similar and easy to install yourself.
:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/15288546/1

Thank you for that reference. How long is the base, as I have barrel bands to consider, though I guess they could be cut?

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
From the band to the tail of the extension is approximately 2 1/8", and yes it could certainly be cut. I'll likely cut down my next one somewhat just for aesthetics on a short forend stalking rifle I'm doing.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Run it by me again what a 175 gr nosler Partition in the 7 mag won't get done that you need to do?...mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Pretty funny that a guy calling himself "Magnum Bob" comes to the big bores forum to advocate small bores. Not trying to be a prick here, it's just funny to me.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fury01
458wm and don't look back. If you really want a 20” barrel, you could likely get a rebore done on that barrel. At 20 I would bet there is plenty of barrel.

I have a Ruger 7mm RM and that barrel is to thin for any re-bore, I think. I’m going to re-barrel mine.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I’ve built a number of 375/338s on that action for my customers & friends. They’ve taken a lot of Buffalo, moose grizzly & African plains game with them. One came home from Africa and called me ordering another one. The PH was so impressed when he shot a hippo end to end, he gave him the rifle.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by brayhaven
I’ve built a number of 375/338s on that action for my customers & friends. They’ve taken a lot of Buffalo, moose grizzly & African plains game with them. One came home from Africa and called me ordering another one. The PH was so impressed when he shot a hippo end to end, he gave him the rifle.

375/338 would fit in between a 375 Whelen AI and a 375H&H AI, I’d think.

What barrel did you use? Stainless Steel?

I suppose I’ll never need one, BUT!!!

Last edited by Bugger; 05/12/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
BECAUSE AMMO WOULD BE EASIER TO FIND IN THE WORLD AND A 20 INCH BARREL TUFF TO BEAT A 375 H&H

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
BECAUSE AMMO WOULD BE EASIER TO FIND IN THE WORLD AND A 20 INCH BARREL TUFF TO BEAT A 375 H&H
The H&H is a bit long in a Ruger 77 and I have a 375 H&H AI pre-64 Model 70
I tried to sell my 7mm RM tanger for $200 less than I had in it. Didn't sell and I'm not giving it away. I've thought about the 458 Win. I'd probably want to shoot cast bullets in that. I have several other 45 caliber rifles and I have molds for 45.
I was quite sure that I had read somewhere that the 458 didn't shoot cast bullets well. I'm looking at Ken Waters July 81 article on the 458 pet loads. He seemed to get a couple of good accuracy loads with the cast bullets in his rifle. But he complained quite a bit about difficulty in cast bullet accuracy What say you?

Last edited by Bugger; 05/12/22.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

Too long for the Ruger.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Mostly used shilen (CM). But had Douglas do a special contour on the last one that turned out great. He’s shot 4 Buffalo, 3 leopards & a grizzly, among other things, with it.
No stainless. I just can’t get into them for hunting rifles, although I built one for a goat hunt using a Ruger tang safety action 7-08.
There are many neat things you can do with that action.[img]https://ibb.co/QXqjkh6[/img]

Last edited by brayhaven; 05/13/22.

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by hillbillyjake
After looking into it, the measurements of the .458 Winchester magnum look very appealing. It looks like mag well length and bolt face would both work. Am I reading this right?

Barrels may still be available from Gun Parts Corp (Numrich Arms). Haven't looked recently but they had 458 Win Mag factory barrels for No. 1s relatively recently.

TS M-77 is a straight conversion from the 7mm RM to 458 Win Mag just with the rebarrel, though you may have to slightly tune the feed ramp for the larger diameter bullets especially if you plan to use flat point solids. For your purposes, many 0.458" diameter round nose and rounded HP bullets are available so they may feed with the factory ramp profile.

The 375 Ruger idea is a good one, though I'm not sure how well they would feed through the PF TS M-77. You would need to see if the TS follower works or if the 375 Ruger Hawkeye follower would be needed. Again making up some dummies and trying feeding would answer that question. I can try it in my 458 TS M-77 and let you know how well that works as I have some dummies already made up, if you consider that route.

You could make up a few dummies with the bullets you intend to use and try feeding up the ramp as is with the long TS factory magazine follower in place.

BTW, if you get a tapered expander plug (a couple of diameters in steps) you can even form your 7mm RM cases to straight wall 458 Win Mags as the latter are hard to find right now. 300 Win Mag cases also work as a starting point. I anneal the smaller caliber cases before expanding to 458 Win Mag.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JakeDog

Too long for the Ruger.

your right i forgot that length , so 338 Win. mag

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
358 Norma mag!!! i need won in my collection, I'm on a roll!!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,427
Posts18,470,733
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.