Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
SIL went hog hunting at night for first time a couple months ago. Loved it. Daughter is considering purchasing a thermal scope for SIL for Christmas. Any recommendations for first time thermal buyer / user? Looks like the Super Hogster and Super Yoter get high marks / reviews. Although they are probably at upper limit of what she would like to spend. I have ZERO experience with thermal optics. Looking for a little guidance...

Please and Thank you...

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
bering hogster

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have used the Super Hogster extensively, having two myself.

While I looked at the Super Yoter when they came out, I just can't justify the extra $1400 for it with the improved clarity of the Yoter. The Super Hogster has given me no trouble with clarity at all.

I'd stay away from ATN thermals. Not because they can't/won't work, but because they sold a LOT of units that were very problematic, and the company didn't stand behind the product, and threw the customers under the bus.

Bering has a good reputation for customer service.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
In that ‘bang for $’ realm, the hogster or super hogster and AGM rattler are a good place to be. I’m biased for the S-Hogster, but I really think a Hogster 35 would be a great option if the price dif on the super mattered. For the specs, all the hogsters are a good deal vs performance. Rattler should be as well. While I’d love to have a Yoter, I doubt it gives me much over the super H. I’ve seen very little degradation vs high humidity or rain, with the SH. That’s unusual for 384 thermals.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Another vote for the Super Hogster...

IC B2

W
W
I'm actually looking into my first thermal myself . Super Hogster and IRAY Bravo are my top two at the moment . Very close in price if you get the good QD mount on the super Hogster , the Iray comes standard with one . The upside on the Iray is a 5 year warranty VS 4 year on the SH . Iray also has a 5 day repair/replace turnaround . TONS of options and opinions out there .

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Zero to complain about with the iRay Bravo if you do have a few more bucks. It has some nice features, for sure. I doubt I’d know any dif visually between the two in use, but their design is nice.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
What about for monoculars?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Same considerations for me all around on specs…..just dif on features and shape. I really have no use for a monocular, unless I absolutely couldn’t shoot at night. All scopes can be viewers. No monocular scan be scopes. Thermal $ is thermal $…doesn’t leave much room for can’t, in my book.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We just got in a few Refurbished Pulsar Thermion XP50 1.9-15.2x42 Thermal Riflescopes for $1,000.00 off.
When we are lucky enough to get these units we are thrilled. They are hand inspected to be 100% operationally perfect and we get them to offer at a significant savings

Styled after a traditional day scope, the Thermion XP50 Thermal Riflescope’s all-metal (magnesium-alloy) body mounts perfectly with standard 30mm rings and single-piece scope mounts. Beyond looks, the Thermion XP50 is anything but traditional, boasting crisp 640x480 microbolometer resolution, 17μm pixel pitch, 8-color-pallette imaging on a full-color 1024x768 HD AMOLED display and a jaw-dropping 2,500-yard heat-signature detection range. Additional Thermion XP50 features include picture-in-picture, 15 reticles in up to 4 colors—black, red, white and green, integrated still image and video recording with audio on 16gb of internal storage, Wi-Fi with Pulsar’s Stream Vision app, 50Hz frame rate for fluid motion imaging and an onboard rechargeable battery pack. The Thermion XP50 weighs 31.7 ounces and is recoil rated to handle .375 H&H, 9.3x64 and 12-gauge.

640x480 resolution - 17um pixel pitch core
1975yd detection range
8x digital zoom - continuous zoom and 2x/4x/8x stepped zoom
Picture in picture digital zoom
Built-in-recording
Stream Vision app connects scope to smart device
External power supply adaptable
5 rifle profiles with 50 zero saves
13 variable electronic reticles
One-shot zeroing with freeze function
Color viewing modes
High resolution AMOLED display
Stadiametric rangefinder
Rock / forest / identification viewing modes
Manual / automatic / semi automatic calibration modes

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Super hogster is a very nice thermal scope if she can afford it. Pal has one, I tested it and like it.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Zero to complain about with the iRay Bravo if you do have a few more bucks. It has some nice features, for sure. I doubt I’d know any dif visually between the two in use, but their design is nice.

IRay, Bering, and AGM all use the same VOX processor, so picture quality/image is almost identical. One trip around with IRay’s CS was enough for me...

Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
Same considerations for me all around on specs…..just dif on features and shape. I really have no use for a monocular, unless I absolutely couldn’t shoot at night. All scopes can be viewers. No monocular scan be scopes. Thermal $ is thermal $…doesn’t leave much room for can’t, in my book.

The NVision Nox 18 is a monocular that can be used as a handheld, helmet mounted, and weapons mountable. Granted we are talking well above OPs budget, but the ones I’ve used are NICE.

Me and most guys I hunt with use our actual scopes for scanning and monocular use. Depending on your hunting style makes sense to me to invest the money in one scope capable of doing everything, rather than two pieces that are use specific. A good thermal with a quality detachable mount allows the thermal to come off for scanning and quickly reattaches with no zero shift. If I’m hunting coyotes and predators at night I just scan off a tripod. You’ll hear some guys, mostly dealers, convincing you you need to have 2 PCs of equipment to do the same thing as above.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most of my night hunting would be hunting hogs from tower stands, over bait. These spots generally have 2-3 baited lanes where a shot is 75-200yds. One or maybe two shots is about all you are going to get before they hit the woodline. I wouldn't be doing a lot scanning of fields or pastures, but would be scanning my lanes fairly regularly to see if anything has come to bait.

Having said that, which of the two options below make more sense to you guys with experience:

1. Having a rifle with a high-quality green light on the forend and a scope with a lit reticle, combined with a thermal scanner for checking lanes regularly.

2. Having a super-compact and light carbine with a light thermal like a Hogster R that I could maneuver more easily to the windows of my blinds for scanning.

I ask because there's no way I'm going to try to swing around a fullsize rifle every couple minutes to see what's happening on 3 different lanes. I'd be bumping off the sides or roof of my stands in the dark. I could see a little carbine, maybe, but I could also see how a handheld scanner would be much like daytime hunting the same stand with binoculars.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Also considering Option 1 with the prospect of later shelling out $500 or so later for a Wraith to go with the existing thermal scanner and forend light (with IR bulb).

Most of my hunting would be one sit at one spot, for a few hours after dark when cameras shown a hog pattern in the evenings. None of this hunting 3 spots and go til 2AM stuff.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Personally, I hate lights of any sort for night use….even on NV scopes. If your pigs are conditioned to it/ignore it, I know it works. Any light sends my coyotes into high gear. You could scan an open lane with an NV, but I’d run a cheap thermal scanner and a thermal scope, if you don’t want to mount or scan with the gun. Even the lesser ones would show you a big blob at your ranges, so you could confirm deer vs hog with your scope……you sound like you just need detection to know where to point the gun, not id, until you are making a shot decision?

Id heard iRay had great service? Bering has been very good to me, but I’ve hod no issues….just questions, etc. IF that version of Pulsar has a VOx sensor instead of SiO2, then it’s a good deal for a 640.

Someone was offering the Rattler with a cheap scanner combo deal….might be your budget huckleberry?

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/13/21.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
bought a pulsar thermion something this spring. Waited for the one with rangefinder ability and I like that. Easy to shoot 300 plus yards on something at night. Not so easy to tell how far off that something is.

I'd sure like and affordable IE Cheaper, just simple viewer. To scan with. No recording etc... just flip on and see if I need to grab the rifle and turn it on. That would be super nice.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by JPro
Most of my night hunting would be hunting hogs from tower stands, over bait. These spots generally have 2-3 baited lanes where a shot is 75-200yds. One or maybe two shots is about all you are going to get before they hit the woodline. I wouldn't be doing a lot scanning of fields or pastures, but would be scanning my lanes fairly regularly to see if anything has come to bait.

Having said that, which of the two options below make more sense to you guys with experience:

1. Having a rifle with a high-quality green light on the forend and a scope with a lit reticle, combined with a thermal scanner for checking lanes regularly.

2. Having a super-compact and light carbine with a light thermal like a Hogster R that I could maneuver more easily to the windows of my blinds for scanning.

I ask because there's no way I'm going to try to swing around a fullsize rifle every couple minutes to see what's happening on 3 different lanes. I'd be bumping off the sides or roof of my stands in the dark. I could see a little carbine, maybe, but I could also see how a handheld scanner would be much like daytime hunting the same stand with binoculars.

My bona fides.

I started using kill lights, as described in option 1 above, probably around 15 years ago. I started with the Elusive Wildlife Technologies XLR 250. For the last few years I've used the Wicked Lights W-403 IC. Both were of the green lens iteration.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

This would be the most affordable option.

The Updated version is the 404 model. Either model has variable beam intensity, and telescoping FOV.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The 1”/30mm universal adapter works if you are constantly switching rifles, but if you have a dedicated thumper, opt for the mount that has the adjustable windage/elevation attachment.

https://allpredatorcalls.com/categories/Night-Hunting/

I find when using this set-up, the best way is to decide what type of support you will employ. IMHO, being elevated above the animal's line of sight is a plus, as the beam is not shining straight into their eyes.

I use the Bog Pod Death Grip to support and steady the combo. When one can no longer see his reticle, nor intended POI without illumination, turn on the light using a wide beam and low intensity, and illumination set where you can just make out the POI and the reticle. That way if a critter comes in it does not seem to spook as when you suddenly “hit” them with the light.
I shoot at distances up to 175 yds, and one can see game without keeping his/her eye glued to the scope.

Night Vision w/ Illuminator

Next on affordability and my first choice (even over thermal) when shooting at night when one has a fixed POI such as shooting over a decoy or bait, is The ATN 4K Pro Night Vision, with an aftermarket Illuminator .

I use the Night Snipe NS750 IR Extreme Illuminator from Predator Hunter Outdoors rather than the one supplied in the kit.

You can get into this set-up for under $1K.

https://www.predatorhunteroutdoors....ote-hog-dimmable-combo-nightsnipe-ns750/

I had the ATN HD II. It worked fine but was a battery hog.

IMHO the ATN 4K pro works much better. It has an internal battery and will get you about 14 hours. I keep an external charger with me just in case. I got the 5-20 magnification, but if I had to do it all over again, I’d go for the 3-14. At the distances I shoot the 5x is to much on the low end.

I’ve been surprised that when using the 4K Pro Night Vision scope w/Illuminator, I will see critters with that unit before I will pick them up with the thermal units. The Illuminator shows the reflection of their eyes on things as small as cottontails well before I spot them with my SuperHogster.

Add to that, the ATN 4K Pro dual streams. That means you can be sitting in a ground blind or elevated box blind and stream video of what the optics views to your cell phone or tablet.

It is no problem to kick back and sit for 4 or 5 hours because one does not have to keep his eye to the scope. When a critter comes in, if it is after dark, when using the Illuminator in combination with the optic, the illumination of their eyes on the screen of the tablet will grab your attention immediately. Then simply put your eye to the optic and get set to pull the trigger. Being able to record video and stils both both day and night is fun.

Daytime: Tried to line up a double. Ended up having to track a few yards instead of DRT

Night

Full disclosure, the distance to POI is +/- 120 yds.

I recently acquired the SightmarkWraith 4K mini. It is the most intuitive of the 5 different NV/Thermal units I have. It has super day/night resolution. However the one negative, no dual streaming. Consequently you have to check your optic every few minutes or have a thermal scanner.

Finally the view/resolution of the day/night vision optics are far superior to that of the thermal.

Thermal.

Call me cheap, but $4,500 and up is above my pain tolerance level for optics. So, I cannot comment on thermal in that price range.

My first thermal was the Flir PTS 233. Native magnification is 1X and on fox size game at 90 yds plus, it can be a problem.

The distance to the hoglets in the picture is about 30 yds. Magnification is 4X. One can see the pixelation and degradation of the image. Over 100 yds, not so hot but up close it works fine.

Two of the three I tapped on the run.

IMHO, thermal shines when one must scan for game, or targeting critters on the run.

Last fall I did a hog hunt where we drove the roads and spotlighted hogs in the fields. Trying to find a hog in the dark with night vision, at 5X, fugggeddabbouddit.

The guides both had the Super Hogsters on their AR’s.

I ordered my SuperHogster the next morning from the aforementioned PredatorHunterOutdoors. No tax, and one can do PayPal credit for 12 months no interest if ordering online. +/- $3,200. My son got the AGM rattler. He likes it. I can’t comment as I’ve not used it.

I now use my Flir PTS 233 as a thermal scanner.

Have not uploaded video from the Mini or the SuperHogster yet,

My Bad.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/13/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Good comments…..however, I’ll expound on why lights and anything needing lights for IR is generally worthless to me: cover and weather. If you’re NOT in wide open, mowed fields OR well elevated over shooting lanes, in non-foggy/drizzly weather, all you get is all that light you emitted bounced back at you, period. A Gen 1 NV with no illuminator is better. Thermal is the ONLY thing that covers down for all use, all cover, and all weather. I see everything MUCH farther than with any NV/light combo around here.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 12/14/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some great info here. Thanks to you guys for the thoughts, explanations, and all the photos.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Short vid with the SuperHogster.

I had shot a pig a few minutes before using the ATN 4K Pro set-up. Among other things I trap hogs in this pen. They are pretty much nocturnal. IIRC this was the first time I'd set out with the Super Hogster and it was around 8 PM.

IIRC this is at 2X maginifcation or 6 power. Distance from my quad-pod to the pen is +/- 120 yds.

What looks like clouds or fog at the base of the screen is Juniper bushes/trees that I need to trim.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/14/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 52 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,865
Posts18,517,909
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.