Print Thread
Hop To
G
grayfox Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Global rescue versus Ripcord, Upcoming trip to South Africa set up by Steve Turner travel with guns have not purchased medical evacuation insurance yet ,,,so I pose the question ,,global rescue versus Ripcord which is better,, who do you like ,,have you used one ,,thank you for your input

GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Unless you have needed either company, it’s impossible to judge or compare them. I have used Global Rescue off and on for years but never needed it.. In fact, I don’t buy it anymore.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Going to South Africa you should be fine with either. Make certain you read and understand what is covered. I would only depend on them for medical evacuation from an accessible area with an airport. Make certain what they will and will not do for COVID.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
A friend was badly injured in South Africa including spinal injuries, a punctured lung, and broken legs. Global rescue dispatched a real medical team by small aircraft from Joburg. They stablized him until a helicopter picked him up. He was in the hospital there for two months. The service arranged first class return home with a medical attendant. He is the only person I know to have ever need to use it. Global Rescue literally saved his life and provided top quality care.

I have always bought Global Rescue because it was recommended by Cabela’s when they arranged a trip for me years ago. Thankfully, never needed to use it myself.

Riding in vehicles in foreign countries scares me far more than any animal. I buy for that risk alone.

Never heard any feedback on Ripcord. So cannot comment on differences between the two.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I’ve always bought Ripcord, but thankfully have never needed it. This year, I was going to go with Global Rescue but couldn’t get ahold of them at all, so decided the hell with them and bought a Ripcord policy again.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Going to South Africa you should be fine with either. Make certain you read and understand what is covered. I would only depend on them for medical evacuation from an accessible area with an airport. Make certain what they will and will not do for COVID.

Excellent advice and to this I will add, if you're going to RSA, I'd go with the less expensive option. South Africa is just not that remote. If you were going into "deep" Africa, then I'd go with Ripcord.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I went on safari in SA this past September and purchased the Global Rescue medical evacuation plan but thankfully didn't need to use it. We were an 8 or 9 hour ride from .Joburg.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have hunted Zimbabwe, Zambia, Namibia and South Africa and have used both Ripcord and Global Rescue. Luckily have needed either of their services. I’ve used Global Rescue recently.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I went to RSA once and used Global Rescue, it was $159 for 10 days, money well spent. I never needed it. In hindsight, I should have bought the yearly coverage for $319 as it would have covered me for my trips out west.

As a side note, my buddies kid got into videoing hunts and now works full time doing it. He was supposed to go to Alaska and video a hunt, his boss took the assignment and was on a horse when it reared up and came down on his upper leg breaking it pretty badly. Global Rescue came in and got him out and home to the hospital of his choice.

Long story short, I wouldn't go to Africa W/O either Global Rescue or Ripcord and as Mike said check out what's covered under Covid. Good luck

Last edited by Sako76; 12/02/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I purchased Global rescue for one trip to Africa but thankfully didn't need to use their services. For my next trip I've purchased Ripcord. They both seem pretty good based on anecdotes, but I think Ripcord might be a little better for remote locations.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
fwiw - Cabela's is now using Ripcord.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to get GR. I've recently switched to RC the last few trips. I've been going to more exotic places. I heard RC was better somewhere along the way. I think GR dropped the ball on a story I heard.

Both are cheap enough insurance so I always get something.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
kust checked last night GR is 159.00 to join and they wanted another 150 for evac service only around 300. Ripcord was 198.00, my insurance agent for our home owners policy says they have the same coverage at a lower rate and they use the same insurance company as Global Rescue and it was for med and evac sevice. just food for thought on coverage

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have purchased GR and RC in different years. This year I chose Global Rescue on a year subscription with Security Extraction since I'm hunting in possibly sketchy locations. I thought it was a bargain for $655/year. I doubt I will need to use it but it's like any insurance you choose to purchase. Glad you have it if you need it!

I was in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso during a terrorist bombing that killed like 16 people and wounded over 80 people. You just never know.

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Like all insurance companies they get rich by not paying claims. Ripcord and Global Rescue are no different. Over the years both companies have denied various claims while they advertise exciting rescues from remote mountain tops. The truth is, read what is and is not covered and what services they provide.

Global Rescue has a network of doctors that can provide supplemental medical assistance should you find yourself in a foreign hospital. And as reported, they can step it up for extreme cases.

Also remember that several premium credit card companies also provide blanket coverage on foreign travel so check what you already have in your pocket. At the end of the day, it is a good question to ask your PH or travel guide what happens if something goes tits up. Always have a good exit plan

And IF you have a preexisting medical condition, disclose that with your PH or travel guide before your trip. Quite a few clients have die in the field who had life threatening conditions but didn't inform the PH - imagine how surprised they were to find out.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My last 3 trips to Namibia I purchased Global Rescue and I attempted to do so again for my July trip to Namibia. I input all my data only to be declined coverage because I’ll turn 75 in June. I went to Ripcord’s website and purchased two weeks coverage for $206. Screw Global Rescue if they don’t want to insure previous clients who have never filed a claim.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BulletBud
My last 3 trips to Namibia I purchased Global Rescue and I attempted to do so again for my July trip to Namibia. I input all my data only to be declined coverage because I’ll turn 75 in June. I went to Ripcord’s website and purchased two weeks coverage for $206. Screw Global Rescue if they don’t want to insure previous clients who have never filed a claim.

Age discrimination

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sounds like a good idea to get one or the other. The way my last guide drove on dirt roads I was pretty sure I was in for a car accident. I also was attempted mugging I'm Pretoria one night that could have ended much worse if I'd not seen it coming and moved towards a white crowd at a nearby restaurant before they caught up to me.

Bb

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bud--that sucks what Global Rescue did to you, I'll look at Rip Cord now. Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting about the age discrimination that Global Rescue practices

Adventure is the only thing you buy that makes you richer

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 59 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,154
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.