Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by BRLMKR
LongSpur,
I have NEVER been able to post images on this site. Can’t figure out how to make them smaller. I can email images if you would like. P.M. me with your email. Thanks, Terry

Sent, thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I bought a 77 mark 2 in 308 this year. Killed a mule deer buck and coyote with mine. My eyesight is fading, and iron sights are just a blur. So, my beloved Winchester 94's are closet guns. I wanted to scope my Ruger with an appropriate lightweight small scope. I installed a Leupold 4x compact scope. Small and light and enough power to use for antelope sized game to 400 yards. I tested this by mock sighting in on these animals at this distance and if I had a license and the skill, the antelopes would be in peril. The carbine is only 1/2" longer than my 94's.

Doug Turnbull makes both barrel and receiver mounts for the 94 that accept red dots with the Docter/Burris FF footprint. The barrel mount fits round-barrel guns and fits very close because it’s machined to fit the barrel over the dovetail. The receiver mount uses the holes for a receiver sight. No drilling or tapping for either, unless your receiver isn’t drilled. They make one for the 71/86 too.

Get those 94s back in the game.

What fresh Hell is this?
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by BRLMKR
I had a Leupold 1.5-5x on my 250 RSI, then switched to a Leupold FX II 4x and had RJ Renner to his “thinning” to the stock. Magical! Terry

Here are Terry's pictures for his RJ worked over RSI

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That stock work probably cost more than the rifle cost when it was new.

That said, it looks like nice work and nice work isn't cheap.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Weight?

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have three Ruger RSI tang safety rifles, all in .308 Win. Two handle real nice and have the proper slim feel associated with that style rifle. Number three however feel clubby so maybe the Renner treatment just might be the way to go on that particular rifle. Just might give then a call and check on the cost. I have shot any of those RSIs in years so would take it out and see where it stands in the accuracy department.
Why three? first one was mine. My wife wanted it so I had to chase one down for her and I just fell into number three on a trade. Every one was dirt cheap because their previous owners couldn't find a group that made them happy. Me? Being a bit more realistic figured they were never meant to be .25" grouping machines. Last time I used any of them at the range groups ran from 1.25" to 1.5" and at that level killed deer just fine. Longest shot ever taken on deer with one was at 250 yards laser measured. Worked just fine. I would love to find one in 7x57 that wasn't priced like the owner thought it was the Hope diamond.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PJGunner
I have three Ruger RSI tang safety rifles, all in .308 Win. Two handle real nice and have the proper slim feel associated with that style rifle. Number three however feel clubby so maybe the Renner treatment just might be the way to go on that particular rifle. Just might give then a call and check on the cost. I have shot any of those RSIs in years so would take it out and see where it stands in the accuracy department.
Why three? first one was mine. My wife wanted it so I had to chase one down for her and I just fell into number three on a trade. Every one was dirt cheap because their previous owners couldn't find a group that made them happy. Me? Being a bit more realistic figured they were never meant to be .25" grouping machines. Last time I used any of them at the range groups ran from 1.25" to 1.5" and at that level killed deer just fine. Longest shot ever taken on deer with one was at 250 yards laser measured. Worked just fine. I would love to find one in 7x57 that wasn't priced like the owner thought it was the Hope diamond.
Paul B.

What is the physical difference between the two 77 RSIs that you like the feel of and the one that feels "clubby"?

I like the look of a Mannlicher-style stock and have owned a pile of 77 RSIs, including 1 of the very rare tang safety 7x57s that is still NIB. I have found that the long action 77 RSI balance a little better than the short actions, but not as good as the average Husqvarna with a Mannlicher-style stock.

I have found that installing a soft neoprene O-ring around the barrel where the barrel meets the end cap helps to cushion the barrel to stock interface can help to imporove accuracy. This has always worked for me, but others who have tried it didn't have the same experience. Either way, a neoprene O-ring or 3 isn't going to cost more than a couple of dollars to try, so if it doesn't work for you, you aren't much out of pocket.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 35

That's a nice looking rifle, right there.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"What is the physical difference between the two 77 RSIs that you like the feel of and the one that feels "clubby"?"

The forearm and pistol grip areas are noticeably fatter. You can feel the difference when handling them. Also, the two nice ones do this; when I can look at something close my eyes and snap the gun to my shoulder, the crosshair in the scope is either dead on what I was looking at or so close as to be negligible. The "fatter" gun doesn't even come close. I use a light switch as the aiming point. All three guns shoot the same load though with decent accuracy, at least for deer hunts. Probably be just fine for pigs as well should I run across some.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I like my RSI 308 with a Leupold 2.5x but am casually looking for a VX3 1.5-5x20 for a touch more power. IMO they look best and balance well with a smaller 20mm objective scope.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Semper Fi

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All of the 77 RSIs that I've owned, shot, or held seemed to have the same stock contour.

I haven't owned, shot, or held any of the Lipsey's stainless 77 RSIs, but would assume that they have the same stock specs as the blued CM cataloged rifles.

Your chubby 77 RSI stock is a mystery to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JRP47
Originally Posted by 35
I have a Vari-X III 2.5-8x36 on my RSI 30-06 and a Vari-X II 2-7x33 on my RSI in 243.
I think they fit well.
The 06.

I have a Bushnell (silver) Elite 3200 3x9 on my M-77 Hawkeye Lipsey model, stainless & wood, Ruger RSI in 7x57. Thought it would serve as an appropiate combo for Blacktail here on Vancouver Island.

Aw, man! Had one of those rifles and foolishly sold it. It came from BC, too.

Enjoy that one! Sounds like a very nice setup

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Your chubby 77 RSI stock is a mystery to me."

Yes, I agree it is a puzzlement, but there it is. You're more than welcome to stop by and feel the difference yourself anytime. I admit the difference is subtle but it's there.
Paul B.

MOLON LABE
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, but the probability of me being in Tucson anytime soon is a few positions to the right of the decimal point.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (338reddog, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 8 invisible), 1,671 guests, and 684 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,954
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.