Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
It is curious to me that it is offered in 375 h&h and for ages the McMillan party line was that edge stocks were not to go on anything larger than 300’s (although many did). Maybe change in manufacture, the new ownership, or simply a large enough contract? Interesting nonetheless.

BB, will be watching for your review. Kind thinking I should have snagged a 28 N or 6.5 PRC when they were $400 less expensive. Oh well!

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by adam32
Would've been an even better rifle had they used a McMillan Hunter instead of the McMillan they chose.

The stock with low rings sits to high for the stock. You dont get a natural cheekweld. This is my only complaint with the rifle. I have a 280ai but havent shot it yet. I wasnt happy with the rail height. The stock just doesnt fit the height of the scope with low rings you have to hold your head up and was poorly thought out. The rifle will be perfect however as soon as someone makes low mount options. It uses 700 hole spacing but 700 talleys wont fit. I want to mount a 40mm as close to barrel as possible it looks like nearly half inch gap. I like the m16 extractor works flawlessly and the stock is fitted to rifle best Ive seen on a factory rifle. Trigger is creep free. Mine adjusted to 2 pounds even. The barrel is extremely nice and the chamber is cut nicely. The finish on all metalwork is top notch. Has a wyatts outdoors follower. Cycling rounds is butter smooth and ejects nicely without hitting scope when cycling cartridges. I paid 1645 shipped from shooting surplus. The price has since went up. Would I pay 2000 for this rifle? yes Would I pay 2300? No

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Model7fan
Originally Posted by adam32
Would've been an even better rifle had they used a McMillan Hunter instead of the McMillan they chose.

The stock with low rings sits to high for the stock. You dont get a natural cheekweld. This is my only complaint with the rifle. I have a 280ai but havent shot it yet. I wasnt happy with the rail height. The stock just doesnt fit the height of the scope with low rings you have to hold your head up and was poorly thought out. The rifle will be perfect however as soon as someone makes low mount options. It uses 700 hole spacing but 700 talleys wont fit. I want to mount a 40mm as close to barrel as possible it looks like nearly half inch gap. I like the m16 extractor works flawlessly and the stock is fitted to rifle best Ive seen on a factory rifle. Trigger is creep free. Mine adjusted to 2 pounds even. The barrel is extremely nice and the chamber is cut nicely. The finish on all metalwork is top notch. Has a wyatts outdoors follower. Cycling rounds is butter smooth and ejects nicely without hitting scope when cycling cartridges. I paid 1645 shipped from shooting surplus. The price has since went up. Would I pay 2000 for this rifle? yes Would I pay 2300? No

6/48 or 8x40 mounting screws?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This thread alone: It shows you can never make everyone happy.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hammerdown

Name a rifle that connects all the dots .

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

My Barrett Fieldcrafts in 6 Creedmoor and 7-08 come pretty close for me.

Bb

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hopefully my 300 win will be here next week. I'm interested to see how the stock fits and the scope mounts if those bases put the scope up high maybe that's how the m16 ejection angle works. My challenge with those type of extractors is that I like to mount my scope as low as possible and many of my scopes are large.

By the time I paid shipping, card fees, extra gun broker fees, idaho taxes and some other shipping sir charge they just sent me I'll be about $1950 in to mine. I wish I would have jumped when they were closer to $1600 but I didn't do to bad as the base price on mine was about $1750.

Maybe next week a bunch will list sgain around $1600 but it looks like they're all headed higher. If someone does find more for around $1600 please let me know because I may want another.

For now I'll be dusting off the 300 win dies and opening a new can of H1000.

Bb

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Hopefully my 300 win will be here next week. I'm interested to see how the stock fits and the scope mounts if those bases put the scope up high maybe that's how the m16 ejection angle works. My challenge with those type of extractors is that I like to mount my scope as low as possible and many of my scopes are large.

I understand your concerns. I do not use scopes with large windage turrets (only capped) but I like my scopes mounted very low as well.

Over the last couple years I have had to sell a three rifles with M16 style extractors that I really liked, because I just couldn't find a scope that worked at a mounting height that was acceptable to me due to the high angle of ejection. I understand the extractor can be "tuned" to result in a lower ejection angle, but I wasn't ready to trust that, and being a cost/benefit kind of guy I felt it was better to just move them along.

Now, I am always a little concerned about buying a rifle with an M16 style extractor.

It appears that the bases included on the M21 are much thicker than a Warne base (for example) so maybe that is a way of eliminating the issues for most buyers. But hat really wouldn't satisfy a low-mounted scope lover.

I really like the rifle, and I'll be anxious to hear how it works out for you. I hope it works out well.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is why, I have some made just for me. (custom)

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

My Barrett Fieldcrafts in 6 Creedmoor and 7-08 come pretty close for me.

Bb

I had one in 270, I could like it and down the road it went.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

This is why, I have some made just for me. (custom)

That is the only true way to go.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by WhelenAway

I understand your concerns. I do not use scopes with large windage turrets (only capped) but I like my scopes mounted very low as well.

Over the last couple years I have had to sell a three rifles with M16 style extractors that I really liked, because I just couldn't find a scope that worked at a mounting height that was acceptable to me due to the high angle of ejection. I understand the extractor can be "tuned" to result in a lower ejection angle, but I wasn't ready to trust that, and being a cost/benefit kind of guy I felt it was better to just move them along.

Now, I am always a little concerned about buying a rifle with an M16 style extractor.

It appears that the bases included on the M21 are much thicker than a Warne base (for example) so maybe that is a way of eliminating the issues for most buyers. But hat really wouldn't satisfy a low-mounted scope lover.

I really like the rifle, and I'll be anxious to hear how it works out for you. I hope it works out well.

I hope someone offers a different mounting option than the thick bases that come with the model 21. I know Talley lightweights aren't the toughest mounting system but I'd be willing to use a low set on a 21 to get rid of their tall rails. I like the 2 piece rail option better than 1 piece on a hunting gun because it gives you easier access to the action I just don't think they needed to be so tall.

When it comes to custom actions these days I find myself looking at bighorn because of where their extractor is located. A couple of my most accurate older custom builds both have stiller actions and they've always been a struggle to get the cases to clear the windage. I've even taken a tiny bit off the top corner edge of the extractor off to try to flatten the fling. A hair too much and you have to start over with a new extractor.

Many off my oldest builds have trued rem 700 actions and they clear a turret fine. I wish more custom action builders would figure it out. I talked to the guys at gunworks years ago about it and they said they were going to work on an action with s better angle. They came out with one later that looked interesting but I didn't like the thread pattern they used.

I'm probably just going with an origin on an future builds but I wish they were set up for a longer bdl style mag box. I don't like AICS on some hunting guns but like the ability to seat out closer to 3" in SA and 3.8" or more in a LA.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 12/24/21.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,727
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.