Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I've never known one to put on airs.

Okay, I will throw you a bone for that one 5sdad.

Appreciated.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 158XTP
Compression bandage used for reducing transmission of venom in the body.

The US doesnt follow this as rigidly since they dont have as many deadly snakes and for several species compression is not advised as it can cause tissue destruction from the venom in that area.

Australia has more deadly snakes which also may not be identifiable by victims. As such the first aid priority is assume its deadly, apply compression and accept the chance of tissue destruction.

Yep,

The snakes in my area are all venomous. They are the eastern brown, red belly black, tiger, copperhead and death adder. There are non venomous pythons and various tree snakes but not in my local area. So we treat them all with respect. Nothing to be frightened of, just be careful and keep an eye out for them.

At least we don't have grizzly bears and have to carry a side arm when fishing. Or a bear stopping cartridge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by las
I once asked an Aussie friend how many of the Australian snakes were venomous,

"ALL OF THEM!"

She might have been a little phobic.... smile
Yes, and no. Enough of them are venomous that you don't take chances. It's not like here in Michigan where there is only one venomous snake and it's relatively rare.

Thats the main difference UPhiker, Australia has 170 species of snake versus Americas 50 or so. 100 of Australias snakes are venomous.

U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
I just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughtful responses without any exaggerations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

The US doesnt follow this as rigidly since they dont have as many deadly snakes and for several species compression is not advised as it can cause tissue destruction from the venom in that area.

Australia has more deadly snakes which also may not be identifiable by victims. As such the first aid priority is assume its deadly, apply compression and accept the chance of tissue destruction.

Thank you for the explanation.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

In the US nearly all venomous snakes are pit vipers. The venom of most pit vipers destroys tissue, so there are more issues with applying a compression bandage. In Australia, the majority of snakes are Elapids (cobra family). Many Australian Elapids are small and are not usually dangerous, but the larger species include some of the most dangerous snakes anywhere. The venom of Australian Elapids often contains significant neurotoxic elements and is generally more toxic than the venom of pit vipers. Because of this, slowing down the absorption of venom until antivenin can be administered is critical.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Interesting, for what it's worth:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

80 million years ago venom became a trait from natural selection.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Elvis

Yep,

The snakes in my area are all venomous. They are the eastern brown, red belly black, tiger, copperhead and death adder. There are non venomous pythons and various tree snakes but not in my local area. So we treat them all with respect. Nothing to be frightened of, just be careful and keep an eye out for them.

At least we don't have grizzly bears and have to carry a side arm when fishing. Or a bear stopping cartridge.

I live in the center of British Columbia so there’s Blackbears everywhere and a high population of grizzlies, but I would still be more comfortable backpacking and sleeping in a small tent here than with the snakes and spiders in Australia. Whether that’s rational or not I’m not sure.
When I as 20 I spent 10 months in eastern Australia bumming around and working. I remember one time there was a great big Goanna digging around in a fire pit in the yard of a place I was staying. We get blackbears here that do the same thing. I was amazed at how big all the different types of common spiders were there. I really enjoyed all the small lizards that were everywhere though.
I guess it’s true that I fear what I’m not used to ha ha.

Last edited by mod7rem; 01/08/22.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by mod7rem

Yep,

I live in the center of British Columbia so there’s Blackbears everywhere and a high population of grizzlies, but I would still be more comfortable backpacking and sleeping in a small tent here than with the snakes and spiders in Australia. Whether that’s rational or not I’m not sure.
When I as 20 I spent 10 months in eastern Australia bumming around and working. I remember one time there was a great big Goanna digging around in a fire pit in the yard of a place I was staying. We get blackbears here that do the same thing. I was amazed at how big all the different types of common spiders were there. I really enjoyed all the small lizards that were everywhere though.

I think that's the thing - the percieved risk based on limited experience. I would have the opposite fears to what you have ie I've camped in tents here without too much extra concern about spiders and snakes but would be nervous to do similar over where you are due to the bears. Snakes and spiders here won't break into occupied tents and rip the occupants to shreds.

Goannas are fairly bold here. Food must be kept in a sealed container of sorts, usually an "esky". We once had a carton of eggs in a zipped up tent while we went out on our hunt. When we got back we found a goanna inside the tent eating the eggs. It had been able to force the zip open enough for it to get inside the tent. They'll scavenge the camp site also while we are in our tents. They will run away when approached but will stay in the area, usually up in a tree.

Well?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Yep,

I think that's the thing - the percieved risk based on limited experience. I would have the opposite fears to what you have ie I've camped in tents here without too much extra concern about spiders and snakes but would be nervous to do similar over where you are due to the bears. Snakes and spiders here won't break into occupied tents and rip the occupants to shreds.

Goannas are fairly bold here. Food must be kept in a sealed container of sorts, usually an "esky". We once had a carton of eggs in a zipped up tent while we went out on our hunt. When we got back we found a goanna inside the tent eating the eggs. It had been able to force the zip open enough for it to get inside the tent. They'll scavenge the camp site also while we are in our tents. They will run away when approached but will stay in the area, usually up in a tree.

I remember being a little freaked out by the big Goanna. I wasn’t sure if I should attempt to chase it off or not.
On the flip side I chased one of the biggest Blackbear I’ve ever seen out of my yard this summer. In reality he wasn’t so much leaving out of fear of me, more just moving along in his search and avoiding me. That was plain to see in his body language. He barely picked up his pace so definitely made me a little less confident with him ha ha.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The feeling once you are used to the Australian bush is its a pretty safe place. All the toxic creatures are either rarely seen or easily evaded. Nothing here to prey on you on land like the Americas and Africa. We dont have the parasites or diseases of Africa nor rabies like America does. As long as you dont go swimming with crocs, the worst thing you might run into is a wild boar and they usually startle and head the other way. Biggest risk for people especially tourists is dehydration or getting lost and admittedly that does happen a bit

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The biggest risk in Australia for anyone is the out of control Marxist Gov't.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
U
UPhiker Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by High_Noon
The biggest risk in Australia for anyone is the out of control Marxist Gov't.
Somebody always has to ruin a polite, informative conversation. Go back up to the Campfire forum.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

On the flip side I chased one of the biggest Blackbear I’ve ever seen out of my yard this summer. In reality he wasn’t so much leaving out of fear of me, more just moving along in his search and avoiding me. That was plain to see in his body language. He barely picked up his pace so definitely made me a little less confident with him ha ha.

That's scary, I hope you were armed.

If I ever found myself camping out over there I think I would have guard snakes to keep the bears away - maybe a taipan at each boundary corner.

Well?
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

That's scary, I hope you were armed.

If I ever found myself camping out over there I think I would have guard snakes to keep the bears away - maybe a taipan at each boundary corner.

No not armed. It’s pretty common here for bears to cruise through neighborhoods at night searching through garbage cans that have been left out. Especially in the spring when they’re fresh out of hibernation, and in late summer. He was just making his way through my yard but my garbage cans were in my garage. This big guy was pretty comfortable with his lifestyle and not too bothered by me rushing him along. He just moved on to the next house and continued his routine.
We regularly get Mule Deer and Moose in the neighborhood as well.

Harnessing the power of snakes for security is a great idea. I know I wouldn’t go near lol.

Last edited by mod7rem; 01/11/22.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Harnessing the power of snakes for security is a great idea. I know I wouldn’t go near lol.

We were going to give that a whirl but couldn't get any more of them in to Canberra.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JSTUART

We were going to give that a whirl but couldn't get any more of them in to Canberra.

Are those the ones sucking the life blood out of the country?

Well?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Are those the ones sucking the life blood out of the country?

Snakes...leeches...pollies come in both shades.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
From my readings, I always thought that the coastal taipan was the most feared snake in Australia, but from this thread it sounds like the eastern brown may be the most dangerous.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by bluestem
From my readings, I always thought that the coastal taipan was the most feared snake in Australia, but from this thread it sounds like the eastern brown may be the most dangerous.
Trowsa Snake is about the worst from what I hear

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,727
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.