Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Well my 65 year long gun buying career/hobby is coming to an end.
I decided last year that come December 31st 2,021 I would stop buying Rifles and pistols.
It is going to be difficult.
But I am determined.
I have been buying guns since I was 9 years old (1956) and my father encouraged me and my two brothers to save our allowances and pop-bottle money and he would take the money and buy us a 22 Rifle.
I will never forget the day dad took us boys to Seattles Skid Road and used our pooled monies to buy us a nifty used Remington 511-A bolt action clip fed 22 Rifle from Kauffmans Pawn Shop.
We brothers were in heaven with our new treasure.
Soon I started saving my monies for "my own" Rifle that I would not have to share with my older and younger brothers.
Been buying/selling/trading guns ever since.
But all things must come to an end and in July 2,022, when I turn 75, I will begin selling off my lifelong collection.
Back on December 23rd of 2,021 I was on my way to the Bozeman, Montana airport and stopped in at my favorite Montana gunshop where they have been selling off three LARGE estate gun collections.
Decided to put on lay-a-way a couple of mint guns as I did not want to take them with me on the flight.
First gun was an as new in the box Smith & Wesson Model 17-6 with a full lug 6" barrel and all target options on this 6 shot revolver. The pistol even had all the paperwork and the un-opened screwdriver and cleaning accessories envelope. This pistol is so cool and feels so good in my hands I just could no longer resist buying it. And the unusual (rare) full lug barrel and finger groove "Target Grips" should make it easy to re-sell come July.
The other gun I put on layaway reminded me so much of that first Remington Model 511-A that I started with.
It is a minty Belgium Browning 22 T-Bolt with checkered stock and a matching gloss finish Leupold 4 power compact rimfire scope.
I can't wait to shoot this one.
On my drive back home Friday I mused about the difference in prices of the humble Remington 511-A and the classy and first rate beautiful Browning T-Bolt.
The Browning T-Bolt cost right at 50 (fifty!) times as much!
$15.00 versus $750.00!
Anyway the 75 mile ride home with my "last Rifle" and my "last pistol" was mixed with sadness and nostalgic memories of all the fun I've had, all the friends I've made, all the cool guns I've owned and all the nifty places I have traveled to collecting guns.
Not even all the wild creatures I saw on my trip (including Moose, Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Turkey, Whitetailed Deer, Eagles, Canada Geese and Pheasants galore) to and from the gunshop, could cheer me completely up.
I feel a bit better today.
Long live The Second Amendment.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
No more guns, Yeah right.

What's your next story, ya gonna say you've figured out women?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Everyone has to live their own way but why put a deadline on it? Buy when you want, as long as you want and sell the same way.

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think the relapse rate for rifle loony addiction is right at 100%. Good luck VG.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I hate to hear you feel the need to hang it up. At least you were blessed to have grown up in a country where you could pursue such a hobby and at a time period in history when there were gun shops everywhere and gun-trading was at it’s peak.
You’ve had a good run and I wish you many more years.
Sure would like to have a look at your collection. I’m sure there are several I would love to have as our taste are very similar.

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I think the relapse rate for rifle loony addiction is right at 100%. Good luck VG.

Sounds right.

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I gotta admit - I'm pretty much in the same boat.. At 73, I have enough... Those that I have are my own IRA, so to speak.. So when it's time to sell this place and move on I'll have to make some serious decisions on what - if any - to keep... Gonna be a sad day for me..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I hear you varmintguy, at my age it's time to sell but a few guns, just have to find the best place for it

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cold turkey quit??? I thought it was a 12 step process

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
VG - very nice post. Memories are priceless. Hope that the sales go well and you find great pleasure in allowing others to enjoy what you have acquired over the years.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IGood luck VG! I've often wondered when I should start selling them off because I don't want my wife to have to deal with it. But as long as I'm still able to use them at the range or in the field, I'm going to keep them. I guess when I quit hunting and shooting I'll save a couple for bad guys and sell the rest.

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Check your pants….they’re smoking 😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Timbermaster

I would agree with that!

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
You had a good run!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VG,

That's a very good feeling.

"But godliness with contentment is great gain.
For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.
And having food and raiment let us be therewith content."

Anything above necessities is just icing on the cake.

HC

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At 80, I haven't quit buying, but try to sell more than I buy so the accumulation gets smaller. And I'm much pickier about what I buy now.

Bruce

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
VG I've very much enjoyed the dealings that we have and feel blessed to have met You a few times.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm at that stage , too. But I ain't makin' any resolutions or promises.
VarmintGuy, get back to us in 365 days and let us know how it went.
smile

Then you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.
John 8:32

A lie doesn't become truth; wrong doesn't become right; evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by the majority...Rick Warren

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have no high collectible guns, but do have a few in the desirable category. I always wonder who took what where. The closest I know anything of is a 99 a widow thought better of destroying and consigned instead.

Depending on who gets a gun, maybe they would appreciate a tag: "used in 1987 in Wyoming to take an antelope" or such. A 336 I have would say "left under a bed since 1971"

I fear I am still suffering sentiment and nostalgia today.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Check your pants….they’re smoking 😁

laugh

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

150 members (257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 29 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 1,023 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,270
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.