Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Originally Posted by country_20boy
I had a major scare yesterday. Model 7 in .243 that my daughter and I have shot a couple hundred rounds through, both on the bench and hunting. She was preparing to shoot a large doe and when she flipped the safety off, the gun fired, scaring the CRAP out of both of us. I'm positive she did not have her finger on the trigger as I was actually watching her as she was pushing the safety off.

Everyone has heard of the Remington recalls and lawsuits, but honestly I never paid much attention to them. This gun was bought second hand and the trigger was lightened by my local smith several years ago. It has the old style Walker trigger and was set to just under 3 lbs.

Any thoughts?
Yeah - it's a Remington. And your 'gunsmith' should have known better..
Has this ever happened to anyone else here?
Probably 80% of those who've had 'em..

I'm leaning to just replace with a Triggertech or Timney and move on.
Well, "lean" immediately - then toss that pos Walker trigger in the round file where it belongs..

As always, JMHO.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Update:

I took the gun to a local shop during my lunch break and he agreed that we should replace trigger, but he didn't have one in stock. I'm working on ordering it now. Midway price was best, but their website seems to be having technical problems.

Any opinions on Triggertech vs Timney?

Gunsmith did say the ex trigger was dirty and that could have contributed to problem, combined with the moisture and unusual cold yesterday (cold by MS standards grin). He cleaned and lubed it well and refused to charge me anything. We tried about 25 times to recreate problem after he reassembled it, but of course it wouldn't fire.

Either way I'm going to replace it, asap.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

TriggerTech all the way. Timney is, IMHO, junk. Maybe safer junk than the factory, but junk none the less. I've owned 3-4 Timneys for 700s. I upgraded, got rid of all but one, a Calvin Elite, which is sitting in a box .. might get used, might get sold. Right now I have 3 or maybe 4 TriggerTech triggers. The only thing I like better is a Jewell.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Update:

I took the gun to a local shop during my lunch break and he agreed that we should replace trigger, but he didn't have one in stock. I'm working on ordering it now. Midway price was best, but their website seems to be having technical problems.

Gunsmith did say the ex trigger was dirty and that could have contributed to problem, combined with the moisture and unusual cold yesterday (cold by MS standards grin). He cleaned and lubed it well and refused to charge me anything. We tried about 25 times to recreate problem after he reassembled it, but of course it wouldn't fire.

Either way I'm going to replace it, asap.

I suspected it was dirty. The m700 trigger can trap dirt and grime and need to be flushed with lighter fluid. I recommend once a year after hunting season. Also be sure to clean with a bore guide. If not cleaning solvents can get into the trigger and gum things up also.

Go with the trigger tech for a replacement definitely.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Redneck
toss that pos Walker trigger in the round file where it belongs…

Knowing what we have known about the Walker trigger for a couple decades now, I consider it an act of utter irresponsibility not to have replaced it. Sorry to be so harsh, but life is too precious to sugar coat it…

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Once unloaded and safe can you repeat it???

It may take a while for it to show up. I first heard of the flawed trigger design back in the 1980's and thought it was BS at the time. But at some point in the 1990's my 1974 rifle dropped the firing pin with no trigger pull. On the older guns the safety locks the bolt. I pulled the rifle out of my safe and as usual my 1st action was to open the action to verify it is unloaded. When I moved the safety the firing pin dropped. It did it about twice more then stopped.

For another 20 years it didn't do it again. But about 10 years ago the exact same thing happened with an unloaded gun. Once again it only did it twice and stopped. By that time I'd essentially retired the rifle anyway, but I know one of my grandkids will get it one day. I replaced the trigger and would urge everyone to do the same. These guns do this so rarely it is easy to fall into a false sense that it won't ever happen to me. But every single one of these rifles will do this if everything just happens to line up right. Or I guess it would be better to say lines up wrong..

An improperly modified trigger can cause this with any rifle, but these have done it when picked up right off the assembly line. The old trigger on mine had never been modified.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have replaced all of my Remington triggers as soon as I got them. Too many horror stories.

You ain't about that life.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did the Remington Model 7 ever come with a Walker Trigger?

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Interesting thread. When did the Walker era triggers end? Are new Remingtons OK or do you guys replace those triggers as well?

Thanks.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Saw it happen on a Custom Rem 40x sniper rifle while on the range upon bolt closing. We reproduced it multiple times. Entire teams rifles went to smith for Timney Triggers. Previously there had been a bolt close AD on a live operation. Many LE sniper schools would teach no safety, bolt open until ready to fire which seems like a solution that doesn’t really fix the problem.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The important thing is no one was hurt. Im glad you decided to change the trigger. You would always have that in the back of your mind had you not replaced it.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a Sako Finnbear that slam fires. I have had it for years. I’m gonna get it fixed soon. We had a guy at deer lease years ago that had a 700 go off when he took it off safety. We always thought it was him. Maybe it wasn’t. It cut the brake line in his truck.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
1. Glad nobody was injured.

2. In response to all of the comments about purchasing a Remington rifle then immediately replacing the trigger, I would NOT purchase a new rifle that I felt had a defect from the factory.

3. With respect to Timney triggers, I have a Timney on one of my Model Seven’s and I really like it.

4. I have an older, purchased in early 90’s, Model Seven and I’ve never had a problem with it.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Have owned a bunch of Remington's. Never had it happed with any of those rifles. I do not know of anyone personally who has ever had that happen. Any mechanical item can fail, break, etc. I have found that I have never needed a trigger "lightened" for hunting situations.....It could be possible that was an issue.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by woodson
I would order a Trigger Tech even if you didn’t have problems.

^ This, no more screwing around with unsafe tools, just get the TT and move on.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I also replaced my triggers, I have both a Trigger Tec and a Timney. Both excellent triggers. You can't go wrong either way. If I had to pick one I would lean toward the Trigger Tec. jmo.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Replace the trigger. Once you start tweaking below 3lbs on those old factory triggers you are playing with fire.

Timney in my model 7, I did have to dremel the trigger guard some due to trigger touching it.

Last edited by killerv; 01/04/22.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If it was for a 700 I'd say flip a coin on timney vs trigger tech. However, on a seven the trigger tech is a better drop in fit. The picture below shows a trigger tech for a 700 next to a trigger tech for a seven. You can easily see they use a different safety lever to fit the narrower seven.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by T_O_M

TriggerTech all the way. Timney is, IMHO, junk. Maybe safer junk than the factory, but junk none the less. I've owned 3-4 Timneys for 700s. I upgraded, got rid of all but one, a Calvin Elite, which is sitting in a box .. might get used, might get sold. Right now I have 3 or maybe 4 TriggerTech triggers. The only thing I like better is a Jewell.

I agree with this. I have a stainless Model Seven 243 that I put a Jewell trigger in as Triggertech was dragging there feet on releasing there new trigger. My 7mm-08 Model Seven got the Triggertech. While I really like the Triggertech I think that the Jewell has a better feel. Jmo

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Had a very experienced Older fellow, of which I am now one, blow Frozen dirt and milo all over me when he flipped the safety off to unload his 700 after a deer hunt. His muzzle control was OK so no harm done other than he totally quit hunting.
And yes it was dirty, old and set light but that Trigger was still the weak link.

Last edited by Fury01; 01/04/22.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 222ND, 12344mag, 160user, 46 invisible), 1,957 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,876
Posts18,478,877
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.