Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Boarmaster: Maybe I should have been more specific in my reasoning.
"I" just can not burden the VarmintWife (should I pass on or become incapacitated!) with trying to dispose of several hundred pistols and Rifles (and 6 shotguns - 12344Mag!)!
It would just be a misery fest for her when I am sure she would have more use of the monies and profits from my selling the guns prior to my demise.
I have already given and dedicated some specific guns to relatives (you can specify this in a will by the way - according to our lawyers) and friends.
And of course I will keep a few guns to the bitter end for Hunting (Varmint and Big Game), plinking with the VarmintGrandChildren, home defense and self defense purposes.

SuperCub: I am following your lead then - by the way did/do you experience any remorse/withdrawals - I mean I have been "attached" to many of my firearms for well over half a century now!

Fireball2: Thank you for that input - two of the four VarmintChildren are enthusiastic Varmint Hunters and on rare occasions Big Game Hunters - 3 of the 4 own their own guns and some I helped them with.
But indeed the younger generations seem to appreciate other things in life more than firearms and the outdoors.
I also have been selling off, already, a small hoard of quality Rifle scopes I have accumulated - I have sold about 20 already and have 12 or 14 left to sell.
Let alone my knife hoard - probably have 60 or 70 of them to move.
It's been a blast!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
SuperCub: I am following your lead then - by the way did/do you experience any remorse/withdrawals - I mean I have been "attached" to many of my firearms for well over half a century now!

I never did keep a lot of guns around and not many did I get overly attached to preferring to keep only those that I used on a regular basis.

I really only have 3 or 4 that I would never sell for personal reasons or guns that where in my family. Having younger grandsons that might become interested in shooting is another factor on which stays and which goes.

One of my projects for the New Year is to go through all my stuff and sell off anything I no longer use. Sold 2 scopes yesterday and another today. Bullets, stocks, loading kit, gun parts, etc etc. It's all going this winter.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I understand I myself have taken some to auction, given to friends, and of course kids and grandkids. Still have a bunch that will have to go but wait a min. I'm still hunting. LOL

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bought my 1st gun of the year today, it was in layAway, and finished last year the second to last day., But that only made 6 that I bought in all of 2021. Getting rid of stuff now, no one to leave it to anyway. Be 64 next September, had a health scare last summer. There's a few I'm still going to try to buy, but just guns to shoot or hunt with. I have enjoyed your tales of finding rare guns and will miss that.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I’m 71 and in the same boat. Have sold off most within the last year. I’m down to two CF hunting rifles, two shotguns, a .22, a springer air rifle and three handguns. As long as I don’t wake up dead tomorrow, that will do it for now.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad
VG - very nice post. Memories are priceless. Hope that the sales go well and you find great pleasure in allowing others to enjoy what you have acquired over the years.

Yup. This right here.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
VG..are you going to post any of them here? Would definitely be interested in some of your rimfires

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well my 65 year long gun buying career/hobby is coming to an end.
I decided last year that come December 31st 2,021 I would stop buying Rifles and pistols.

I've heard similar. It will start slowly - you'll find a magazine or set of dies you don't have a rifle for, or a casual glance at a handgun display will cause the one mismarked price on a classic to leap into view. Just reading the previous sentence will set off a yearning. In time, you'll find yourself naked in a puddle of whiskey-soaked credit card receipts and gun boxes. You'll come to the realization that...life is good.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don’t mean to be unsympathetic BUT
Put me at #1 on your list for that Browning T-Bolt.
I am 20 years behind you.

GoTigersGo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I decided last year that come December 31st 2,021 I would stop buying Rifles and pistols.
It is going to be difficult.
But I am determined.
I have been buying guns since I was 9 years old (1956) and my father encouraged me and my two brothers to save our allowances and pop-bottle money and he would take the money and buy us a 22 Rifle.
I will never forget the day dad took us boys to Seattles Skid Road and used our pooled monies to buy us a nifty used Remington 511-A bolt action clip fed 22 Rifle from Kauffmans Pawn Shop.
We brothers were in heaven with our new treasure.
Soon I started saving my monies for "my own" Rifle that I would not have to share with my older and younger brothers.
Been buying/selling/trading guns ever since.
But all things must come to an end and in July 2,022, when I turn 75, I will begin selling off my lifelong collection.
Back on December 23rd of 2,021 I was on my way to the Bozeman, Montana airport and stopped in at my favorite Montana gunshop where they have been selling off three LARGE estate gun collections.
Decided to put on lay-a-way a couple of mint guns as I did not want to take them with me on the flight.
First gun was an as new in the box Smith & Wesson Model 17-6 with a full lug 6" barrel and all target options on this 6 shot revolver. The pistol even had all the paperwork and the un-opened screwdriver and cleaning accessories envelope. This pistol is so cool and feels so good in my hands I just could no longer resist buying it. And the unusual (rare) full lug barrel and finger groove "Target Grips" should make it easy to re-sell come July.
The other gun I put on layaway reminded me so much of that first Remington Model 511-A that I started with.
It is a minty Belgium Browning 22 T-Bolt with checkered stock and a matching gloss finish Leupold 4 power compact rimfire scope.
I can't wait to shoot this one.
On my drive back home Friday I mused about the difference in prices of the humble Remington 511-A and the classy and first rate beautiful Browning T-Bolt.
The Browning T-Bolt cost right at 50 (fifty!) times as much!
$15.00 versus $750.00!
Anyway the 75 mile ride home with my "last Rifle" and my "last pistol" was mixed with sadness and nostalgic memories of all the fun I've had, all the friends I've made, all the cool guns I've owned and all the nifty places I have traveled to collecting guns.
Not even all the wild creatures I saw on my trip (including Moose, Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Turkey, Whitetailed Deer, Eagles, Canada Geese and Pheasants galore) to and from the gunshop, could cheer me completely up.
I feel a bit better today.
Long live The Second Amendment.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Dude, this is bullschidt. Your gun buying exploits are a big part of the joy I get from this forum. Maybe you can drive around finding good deals then tell us about them. Live through us vicariously by enabling.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I find conversations with guys like you interesting. How you've managed to accumulate so many, and the stories that go with them.

I have more than I need, one less than I want. But only one that slipped by I truly regret. It was a pretty 64 model 70 in .257 Roberts. Since that one, I've tried to keep a stash just in case I come across another.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hold into the wind

VarmintGuy

Hear, Hear!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you start to get varmintgrumpy, we'll know the cure.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hate to hear it, but we all have to deal with our own responsibilities and situations. I really enjoy looking at the collections of guys like yourself and hearing the stories of the favorite guns. My collection is nowhere near the hundreds mark, but I find myself fondling my favorites and thinking about the hunts I've been on with them. I'm sure it'll be tough to let them go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm downsizing to my .308 and 9mm guns only. Sick of looking for 6 different types of ammo. I'll just stockpile two calibers.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you want a big gun collection, go to every gun show and buy the cheapest gun at every show.

Once you have broken the ice, buy some more guns at the show. Stop at the pawn shops on the way home.

When you get the guns home, don't let the wife or neighbors see. Put them in the garage.

Take them partially apart and rub oil on them with a toothbrush.

This is the first step of bonding with your new[used] guns.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boarmaster: Maybe I should have been more specific in my reasoning.
"I" just can not burden the VarmintWife (should I pass on or become incapacitated!) with trying to dispose of several hundred pistols and Rifles (and 6 shotguns - 12344Mag!)!
It would just be a misery fest for her when I am sure she would have more use of the monies and profits from my selling the guns prior to my demise.
I have already given and dedicated some specific guns to relatives (you can specify this in a will by the way - according to our lawyers) and friends.
And of course I will keep a few guns to the bitter end for Hunting (Varmint and Big Game), plinking with the VarmintGrandChildren, home defense and self defense purposes.

Fireball2: Thank you for that input - two of the four VarmintChildren are enthusiastic Varmint Hunters and on rare occasions Big Game Hunters - 3 of the 4 own their own guns and some I helped them with.
But indeed the younger generations seem to appreciate other things in life more than firearms and the outdoors.
I also have been selling off, already, a small hoard of quality Rifle scopes I have accumulated - I have sold about 20 already and have 12 or 14 left to sell.
Let alone my knife hoard - probably have 60 or 70 of them to move.
It's been a blast!

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Well now that you quantified the number it makes good sense. I thought maybe you were just creating some sort of imaginary stop date. I wont be laying a burden on anyone after I pass. At least not on purpose.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Last one for the year, anyhow...

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
It is going to be difficult.
But I am determined.
I have been buying guns since I was 9 years old (1956) and my father encouraged me and my two brothers to save our allowances and pop-bottle money and he would take the money and buy us a 22 Rifle.
I will never forget the day dad took us boys to Seattles Skid Road and used our pooled monies to buy us a nifty used Remington 511-A bolt action clip fed 22 Rifle from Kauffmans Pawn Shop.
We brothers were in heaven with our new treasure.
Soon I started saving my monies for "my own" Rifle that I would not have to share with my older and younger brothers.
Been buying/selling/trading guns ever since.
But all things must come to an end and in July 2,022, when I turn 75, I will begin selling off my lifelong collection.
Back on December 23rd of 2,021 I was on my way to the Bozeman, Montana airport and stopped in at my favorite Montana gunshop where they have been selling off three LARGE estate gun collections.
Decided to put on lay-a-way a couple of mint guns as I did not want to take them with me on the flight.
First gun was an as new in the box Smith & Wesson Model 17-6 with a full lug 6" barrel and all target options on this 6 shot revolver. The pistol even had all the paperwork and the un-opened screwdriver and cleaning accessories envelope. This pistol is so cool and feels so good in my hands I just could no longer resist buying it. And the unusual (rare) full lug barrel and finger groove "Target Grips" should make it easy to re-sell come July.
The other gun I put on layaway reminded me so much of that first Remington Model 511-A that I started with.
It is a minty Belgium Browning 22 T-Bolt with checkered stock and a matching gloss finish Leupold 4 power compact rimfire scope.
I can't wait to shoot this one.
On my drive back home Friday I mused about the difference in prices of the humble Remington 511-A and the classy and first rate beautiful Browning T-Bolt.
The Browning T-Bolt cost right at 50 (fifty!) times as much!
$15.00 versus $750.00!
Anyway the 75 mile ride home with my "last Rifle" and my "last pistol" was mixed with sadness and nostalgic memories of all the fun I've had, all the friends I've made, all the cool guns I've owned and all the nifty places I have traveled to collecting guns.
Not even all the wild creatures I saw on my trip (including Moose, Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Turkey, Whitetailed Deer, Eagles, Canada Geese and Pheasants galore) to and from the gunshop, could cheer me completely up.
I feel a bit better today.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Once you.sell them all there's no reason you.can't start over....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
At 65yrs now,I'm starting to think do I really need more? I have everything I want right now and I have to begin to think I have rifles I like that I may never hunt with because some I just really like better.Do I want to sell any?Not at the moment,but someday I may.I've determined the only way to quit buying is to just admire what I have and quit looking.It's hard to do,but then there is always a rifle that will pop up and I tell myself dang that a good deal and here we go again.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

174 members (300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 673, 16penny, 26 invisible), 2,130 guests, and 1,064 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,265
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.