Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Mike_S

You really should stop posting. You deserve the ignore option more than anyone here.

I strongly encourage anyone so sensitive that they need the ignore feature to protect their feelings to use it. it will wrap your feelings in a warm protective cocoon that no facts will penetrate laugh

The reality is that this isn't that hard. Use a stopping rifle when hunting in grizzly country. Even in black bear country give bear protection some thought. John is right that there are no grizzlies in Colorado any more, but we had a couple hundred black bears have to be put down this year after maulings and break-ins. Several I know of involved hunting kills. Black bears are MUCH less likely to kill you, but being mauled by a bear is still something worth preventing.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
After seeing your outburst last night I think we know who the sensitive person on this thread is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I'd say .375 or bigger and 4000 ft-lbs and premium softs (A-Frame, TBBC family, Northfork). 0.300 sectional density. That's specifically for bear.

What data is your opinion based on?

You use whatever you like. I gave the correct advice. If you want to use a .222 with varmint bullets that's between you and whoever enforces the hunting laws.

But bear danger while hunting is very very real, and using too little gun is stupid.

What is “correct advice”? By definition, advice is subjective.

Danger while driving your car is very real, too. Not wearing a racing helmet, fire suit, and five-point harness when you drive two blocks to the grocery store is stupid.

On the other hand, maybe mitigating risks involves trade-offs and compromises that people can reasonably make in various ways. Lots of people shoot better with a sub-.375 caliber rifle, so hunting elk with a large gun that they don’t shoot well, just in case of the very rare event of having to stop a charging grizzly, makes little sense.

I strongly encourage anyone so sensitive that they need the ignore feature to protect their feelings to use it. it will wrap your feelings in a warm protective cocoon that no factsBS will penetrate

Fixed.

You’ve presented no facts about firearms for hunting in grizzly country, but have spewed a lot of baseless opinion.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Royce
Someone should inform 458win that the 30/06 is not adequate to stop a bear…

I remember that guy - he was the one explaining what bullets he thought were effective for shooting client's bears in the ass. You should get him in here - here's just the clown this thread needs laugh

Between Phil Shoemaker, who’s probably been in on the killing of more grizzly sub-species animals than anyone on the planet, and LB, it’s extremely obvious whose opinion is based on a lot of empirical data, and whose is based on emotion and faulty logic, and it’s not even close.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you, Jordan.

The tide was almost over the top of my chest waders. Obviously this is the gun writer sub forum; to me those baseless rude comments pointed at JB specifically don’t belong here at all. Wish the mods would twist the dial a bit - some of us actually come here for real-world knowledge that we likely can’t get elsewhere. Cheers to JB responding as he did.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I remember that guy - he was the one explaining what bullets he thought were effective for shooting client's bears in the ass. You should get him in here - here's just the clown this thread needs laugh

LOL, comedy gold right there, you just can't make this stuff up.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

LLama Bobby explaining "proper shooting technique in the use of stopping guns".

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
... Can you use a .30-06? It's way better than what Mark had (his client had the Glock 10mm apparently) but worse that the above. It'll do better if you use premium 200+gr bullets. But if you get to pick, the .30-06 is not the best thing to pick.

This the situation you are referring to? https://www.americanhunter.org/content/wyoming-hunting-guide-killed-in-grizzly-attack/

If so, sorry for the loss but anyone coming onto an elk carcass that has sat for 24 hours in grizz country had better have their heads screwed on straight.
Only one firearm and sitting in a pack "a few yards away"(not in a holster on the hip?).."Chubon told authorities he was able to throw his gun to Uptain before fleeing the scene to call for help. " ...a messed up situation.

A .375 H&H wouldn't have mattered because the two lacked mindset and gun handling skills.

.... and yet here you are lecturing on "stopping guns".

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

You really should stop posting. You deserve the ignore option more than anyone here.

I strongly encourage anyone so sensitive that they need the ignore feature to protect their feelings to use it. it will wrap your feelings in a warm protective cocoon that no facts will penetrate laugh

The reality is that this isn't that hard. Use a stopping rifle when hunting in grizzly country. Even in black bear country give bear protection some thought. John is right that there are no grizzlies in Colorado any more, but we had a couple hundred black bears have to be put down this year after maulings and break-ins. Several I know of involved hunting kills. Black bears are MUCH less likely to kill you, but being mauled by a bear is still something worth preventing.

I’m bored so I will play a little. First stupid remark, my “sensitivity “.

Very thick skinned. You are a wart on the as s h ole of progress compared to the real men I interact and have interacted with. You haven’t posted anything productive on this thread. Now I see you are a black bear expert to. Stop and let those that have done it pass on good advice when you really have nothing to add.

Oh and I didn’t ignore you I said you deserve to be ignored. I know confusing right? Perhaps to many shots to the head from your “stopping rifle” or whatever you call it. Maybe some reading comprehension classes will help. Oh and black bears? Another topic you think you know? Shhhhhh let the men talk. Thanks

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You are a wart on the as s h ole of progress....

Mike, you really have a way with words, are you a gunwriter?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by smokepole

LOL, comedy gold right there, you just can't make this stuff up.

Hmm 458 carried a 30-06 for years as his back up rifle loaded with 200 gr partitions and then went to 220 partitions in the 30-06 these penetrate really well. I have no idea how many wounded g or brn bears choose to charge vs runaway. But if 458 shot any in the butt it was because that is the shot he had on a client wounded bear leaving the scene as fast as possible
With their reputation as the best penetrators out there I am sure he ended a lot of bad situations waiting to happen. You don't ever read bear hunt stories that aren't 1shot dead right there or it was charging dramas. The fact he now uses a 458 suggests to me he has client's who don't shoot as well as they could. ..mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
... The fact he now uses a 458 suggests to me ...

I believe Phil has used Old Ugly (his famous 458) for many years.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Hey, as long as Phil is willing to tell us all about the service he provides of shooting his client's bears in the ass, he is MORE than welcome here. The guy is a hoot laugh

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 01/05/22.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

One thing about ol’ Llama Robert, he takes no prisoners…..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I will even stipulate that he is the world expert on shooting someone else's bear in the ass. If he claims the .30-06 is optimal for that, I will offer no argument whatsoever laugh

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Jesus Christ walks into a bar..

Llama Boob spins in his barstool and says, “WTF are you doing here you stupid phuqing dichhead?!”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Llama Boob spins in his barstool and says, “WTF are you doing here you stupid phuqing dichhead?!”

Yeah, you suck because you can't swim, that's why you only walk on water

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by SBTCO

This the situation you are referring to? https://www.americanhunter.org/content/wyoming-hunting-guide-killed-in-grizzly-attack/

If so, sorry for the loss but anyone coming onto an elk carcass that has sat for 24 hours in grizz country had better have their heads screwed on straight.

Let's amend that - anyone hunting in grizz country needs their heads screwed on straight. The bears know what a dinner bell sounds like. Mark had too little gun (I think we can agree that a 10mm Glock is light for stopping a charging grizzly bear), wasn't cautious enough, and trusted his client too much. And while he was a friend, he died because he made a series of poor decisions. One of those was the gun.

If you knew for a fact that you would end up in that situation, you'd want all the gun you could get - likely something in the .458 to .577 range. Since no one knows what the future holds and you have to carry the thing and likely want some reach as well as a stopper, something like a light .375 is a reasonable compromise.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Yep, he got those holes in his hands and feet because he used a 30-06 and it just penciled through ..

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Yep, he got those holes in his hands and feet because he used a 30-06 and it just penciled through ..

Did you bring your phuqing stopping rifle? A 30/06?! You stupid MF.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (264mag, 44mc, 338rcm, 2500HD, 35, 17 invisible), 1,559 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,951
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.