Online Content
Campfire Savant
Looks like we all like health food!!

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sandwiches ham or chicken with bacon, protein chocolate flavored bars from Costco, Cherry fried pies and filtered water.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Homemade cookies. I think my wife likes me out of the house.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I like a good apple or some deer jerky.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Ketchup packages. When I lived in Colorado, dad and I would never hit "the hills" without several small packets of ketchup stuffed in our packets and pockets. Would eat them off and on all day. Kept cramps and fatigue away. Cut down on thirst too so we would schedule water drinking stops. (Dehydration in the mountains is a bad idea.) Myself I would also carry a large baggie of cashews/m&m's.
Here in Missouri where I hunt from an elevated stand I've had everything under the sun in the blind with me. Always bottles of water though, with accompanying jug.😉

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skeen
Originally Posted by JackVliet
Beed jerky, canned chicken and tuna, and lots of little debbie snacks, sometimes a sandwich when I'll be out for the whole day.

You take canned chicken and tuna to your deer stand?

That got a legitimate laugh out loud of me!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have recently found that I'm more content and less restless if I hunt on coffee only, up to noon or so. I do like to have something to snack on when boots hit the ground and my circulation gets going again. I am convinced that the deer will smell anything I eat on stand unless I'm in a box blind so I limit my options and resist snacks.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Summer sausage all day

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Every hunting season I make up a big batch of trail mix. Dried bananas and apricots, raisins, peanut M&M’s, almonds, cashews, and peanuts. I always have a quart freezer ziploc bag full in my pack. If I’m in the woods all day a thick deli meat sandwich, or in cold weather, a small thermos full of hot pork and beans with three or four hotdogs chopped up in it.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I love to take bacon&egg sandwiches. They hold up pretty well with toast, and if it's really cold they reheat over a fire pretty well too! I only take those if it's cold enough to keep them cold....my wife is a food-safety-nazi. Then along with that I'll usually take some trail mix or dried fruit and maybe even a candy bar (for a quick pick me up while dragging).

Not hunting related, but still pertinent maybe......after I nearly suffered heat stroke after an NRA Highpower Rifle match I talked to some long time shooters as well as my Dietitian wife and changed my game plan for nutrition surrounding matches. My family doesn't typically eat a lot of junk food, but the day before a match I'll make sure I'm not overdoing it on salt or sugar, and I will drink constantly. A national champ told me that I should be drinking enough the day before that you have to get up 2-3 times per night to pee (no old man prostate jokes please) ....and when you wake up to pee...you drink more. Day of the match you continue drinking and focus on lean protein/plant based proteins, as well as fruits and veggies...keeping added sugar to a minimum.

This has really helped me to endure long matches on hot days.

Last edited by Kimber204; 02/27/22.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i take a lunch in hard containers in my pack for a all day sit ,sometimes i just take a MRE and water but always 2 diet cokes for all day. and i never leave home without T.P. and a gallon pee jug if in a stand or blind..

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1_deuce, 257_X_50, 222Sako, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 62 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,562
Posts18,473,169
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.