Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Rooster 7, as a kid I was told killing an albino deer was "bad luck"! I have never seen either while hunting in the past 49 years so it hasn't been an issue!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I killed a 7 pointer in 2014 that had piebald markings on his front legs and chest. I didn't even see them before I shot. I don't remember ever seeing any others at our camp.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
not sure, never seen one

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Shot a nice eight that was a piebald several years ago . Thanksgiving morning, was pushed for time for dinner , made a quick walk up the mountain and a doe blowed to the left of me .
When I looked over I spotted him about 50-60 yds .
Had seen him earlier when they were still running in a bachelor bunch . There were three of them , another buck , scraggly rack and a doe , not the one that blew at me .
Had my Valmet 12/06 , leveled the rifle and shot .
He just stood there fixed on the doe .
I thought , WTH ?
Round two , he’s still standing there , hasn’t flinched , now my mind is racing all kinds of WTH thoughts .
Round three , he wobbled but still standing , finally collapsed . Time is getting critical , gutted him snatched him by the horns and down the mountain I went , moving so fast bout ran me over on a couple steep parts , lol .
Hung him up , took a couple Polaroid pictures to show dad , he was bed fast on feeding tubes .
His eyes watered up when I showed him the pictures , he loved hunting .
Got back from dinner ,proceeded to skin him out , never in my entire life have I seen so many ticks fall off a deer , literally rained ticks . Meat had tiny red streaks through the entire meat structure . Three holes through the ribs right behind elbow of shoulder , 180 grain Winchester fail safes . Doe had him in a bad way . Rolled the hide up and put on truck seat to take to a taxidermist and ticks were still crawling off him .
When we rolled him out on the table still ticks comming out as I was telling the taxidermist the story , he was astonished at the ticks comming out of the hide , espeacially after dragging and hanging for several hours .
Bad mojo , I don’t know , but threw the meat away , broke my heart to do it , but those red streaks and the very high number of ticks was enough for me .
Had him mounted and hide tanned , only deer I ever mounted , been close to 25 yrs ago and still looks good .
17” inside spread and tines were eight to ten inches tall .

Kenneth66

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've killed 3 piebald deer, 2 bucks and 1 doe so far.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here is one my Cousin spotted. He had seen it previously around his place. I went over and got a pic before it jumped up and ran off....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are genetically inferior and where legal should be shot ones sentiments aside.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/content/blogs/the-ethical-hunter/should-we-shoot-albinos

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, we all know Vic_in_Va's answer to this question !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by fishnpbr
They are genetically inferior and where legal should be shot ones sentiments aside.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/content/blogs/the-ethical-hunter/should-we-shoot-albinos

And the next to last sentence was what?

Nor does it appear the few that are birthed are causing any harm to the population genetics over a long history of development. Shoot them if you wish, however genetically inferior is a weak argument to do so.

Last edited by battue; 01/12/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If the difference would show on a shoulder mount I'd shoot it if it was a legal deer. I wouldn't shoot a buck during an antlerless season or an antlerless deer during a bucks only season.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not legal here and I've never seen one. If it were legal I would consider them fair game. Cougars, wolves and coyotes would too, they aren't superstitious.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I would not shoot it. I'm not superstitious, but I've always heard that Indian folklore says that it's bad Mojo.

I knew a guy that shot a piebald doe and had a full body mount done. His brother actually works for me, so we've had this discussion before. The year after he got the mount back from the taxidermist, he came down with brain cancer. He died the following year. About 5 years ago, his widow was getting rid of all of his stuff and they took the piebald to his mother's house. That Winter her house burned to the ground.

I had this piebald doe hanging around my house for a couple of years. She ended up getting hit by a car when it was snowing one day. The interesting thing was that it appeared as though the herd shunned her. She was usually by herself. Whenever you'd see her with the herd, she was always off to the side alone.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ha, I saw a all white doe a couple of weeks ago, got a far cell phone pic. Mostly private land but only about 2 miles from where I hunt. Iv also heard the bad mojo if you shoot one. I seen 3 piebalds had a six point in a food plot at 18 yrds for 30 mins, I had taken a 4 pt the week before, so legaly I couldn't shoot him. Saw a spike when I was about 20, 60 yards away, need him to step clear of a tree. He walked straight away no shot. And a few years ago out just driving around saw a piebald feeding near the road, it was short legged, had a short neck and a small head. Not good genetics in that one at all. And as said all of these deer the three pie balls and the albino deer were by them selves so that might be something to what one of the other posters was saying.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the last deer my dad shot was a piebald doe. it is the only one i have ever seen.

My diploma is a DD214
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I killed an 11 point a few years ago that had more white on it's legs than normal and the white on the belly was higher up the body than normal.
A couple of guys had seen him and called him Old White Legs. So yes I wouldn't hold it against a deer for being too white.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it was a really fine buck, yes. Here's one that went the other way Cookie caught just preseason last fall. It's no longer with us, and no, I did not have a tag.
She also encountered a black fawn (born spring 2021) and a black doe (yearling born 2020) both about 20 miles away from this buck. They all seem to mingle well with the other 99.99%.

In the last 8 years we think we've had encounters with at least six black examples with all but this one being does.

She's yet to catch up with an albino, but we'll put some pics up when it happens.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/13/22.

1Minute
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
There were quite a few piebalds in my area about 30 years ago. I shot a mostly white doe in ‘91 or ‘92. Had the hide tanned hair on. My son has it now. Haven’t seen one in at least 15 years.

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The town of Saint Germain, Wisconsin used to have a whole herd of them wandering around the town. Don't think it was legal to shoot them.

skeen Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
If it was a really fine buck, yes. Here's one that went the other way that Cookie caught just preseason last fall. It's no longer with us, and no, I did not have a tag.
She also encountered a black fawn (born spring 2021) and a black doe (yearling born 2020) both about 20 miles away from this buck. They all seem to mingle well with the other 99.99%.

In the last 8 years we think we've had encounters with at least six black examples with all but this one being does.

She's yet to catch up with an albino, but we'll put some pics up when it happens.

Wow, that's crazy. I don't believe I've seen even a picture of a black colored deer, 'til now.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Not going to shoot a Piebald or white deer.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (1Longbow, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 16penny, 65 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,440
Posts18,470,877
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.