Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wife and I were traveling in her car and there was a dead piebald doe along side the road just south of Rutledge GA.

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw a piebald 6 point about 15 years ago and I let him walk. He was a young deer in apparently good health and I figured in a couple of years he would be a nice buck for someone. I didn't let him walk because he was a piebald. Never saw him again or heard of him being seen.

5 or 6 years ago my nephew saw this piebald fawn bedded down on the same property that I saw the 6 point on. He didn't bother the fawn and eased out of the area. A couple of years later, on a neighboring property, a friend saw what we think was the same deer. We haven't seen it since.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Mathsr; 02/23/22.

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I'm curious why the aversion to shooting an albino?

Superstitions.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've shot several over the yrs would shoot another one in a heartbeat

B
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
B
If it was a deer I wanted to shoot otherwise, it wouldn't make a difference to me it it was piebald, albino or not.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Piebald…yes. We have had a few of them in this region, and I would probably shoot one if I had the opportunity. Albino…no. We had a pure Albino doe hanging on the property we hunt back in 2015 and marveled in it’s coolness for about 3 years until it jumped out in front of a neighbor on the main road and got hit and killed. We had a gentlemen’s agreement among the bordering properties to not shoot it. We figured it was a once in a lifetime deer, and so far it has been.

Doc_Holidude

Attached Images
IMG_0723.jpg (5.5 KB, 230 downloads)
Last edited by Doc_Holidude; 04/05/22.

Livin ain’t killed me yet, but it’s workin on it!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never seen a piebald or albino muley but they do exist. I read that they only appear in about 1 in several million deer.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I would admire but let walk either whitetail specimens each. Might try to get a pic to show the other hunters I work with and my family..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I’d shoot one for its hide and would tan it hair on. We have quite a few piebald blacktail deer in NW Washington State. I’ve seen at least 15 and maybe 20 of them over the past 25 years plus one pure all white one, though it was not an albino and had a black nose and dark eyes. Whatcom and Skagit counties have some white genes as do Jefferson and Clallam on the Penninsula and Orcas Island.

I saw a pair of twin piebald/Appaloosa marked fawns last week a mile from our house, getting close to yearlings and still with their mother. If they were extremely rare here I’d pass. Saw one partly white deer in Southern California some 50 years ago, Ventura County.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
don't care what color it's hide is , brown grey piebald albino if its legal and offers a killing shooters dead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I saw one piebald spike on my lease this past year. He had a big blonde patch on the top of his head. I decided not to whack him and let him grow to see how he turns out.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Was Michael Jackson piebald?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by battue
Had him the scope at maybe 15-20 yards as he and some Does crossed a trail, but didn’t and dug the camera out as he walked into the brush

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Glad I let him walk.

Addition: Saw him again later in the season crossing an open field at dark. It was like watching a ghost.

Trying to pick him out on a cell phone screen is like watching a ghost too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mike78
I would not shoot one just because it was an albino or piebald, but being piebald or albino wouldn't be the reason to keep me from shooting it.

Same here. It's a genetic trait that makes the deer lees likely to survive and procreate in the wild anyway. Probably best for the herd in the long run to remove them from the population.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I learned long ago not to pass up a good shot at a legal deer be it buck or doe. The myth is that it brings bad luck to shoot a piebald deer but I don't believe it at all.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never had to make the decision. If I ever run into one , I’ll make the decision whether to shoot or not like every other time. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Late 1980's my buddies property had a piebald doe running around. It was about 90% pure white with a few dark patches. My buddy called it "the albino" and thought it was cool. I could only hunt on his land if I promised not to shoot "the albino". Then; sure enough at first light one morning I had it standing still and broadside to me at no more than 25 yards. Even had a doe tag for that area but at least it was cool to watch it for a few minutes before it wandered off. Then a couple weeks later it got killed down on the highway at the bottom of his hill. Too bad one of us didn't harvest it during deer season. The hide would have been neat to have tanned.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JeffyD
I'd pass. Not because of some superstition, but just because they're such a rare sight. Where I used to quail hunt, there was one. I saw it often, and looked forward to seeing it. Something you don't soon forget.

That's just me. I'm just sentimental about such things. I wouldn't condemn anyone else for taking any legal deer legally and ethically.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ In SE Alaska they have the occasional albino black bear. It's illegal to shoot them. Something as rare as either one of those, I'd prefer to just appreciate.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I haven’t read through this whole thing but I really don’t get this aversion to shooting one. It’s a just genetic color abnormality. Why not? It’s actually good for the herd to remove the trait in the long run.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 04/23/22.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 32 invisible), 2,233 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,702
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.